Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm Overqualified For All The Jobs I Applied To?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They found someone they feel better suits them. Before you go into your next interview, when they ask why they should hire you just quote their mission statement in the light of you. Then you tell them that you believe their mission statement is what really attracted you to applying for the company.

Comment

Geez, you guys are rich! I'll never make 6 figures in a total of 10 lifetimes! Sucks being a poor boxing fan.

Comment

Originally posted by MatchMaker215 View Post
        Geez, you guys are rich! I'll never make 6 figures in a total of 10 lifetimes! Sucks being a poor boxing fan.
        i wouldn't call myself rich i barely made 6 figures meaning i was just over the 100K mark.

now people who are making like 500K or 750K now those guys i'd consider rich.

also i sacrificed a lot cause most of my friends are already married with kids i had no time to get serious with a girl or even have time to get married if i wanted to.

most of my mid and late 20's was spent being a slave and working my aZZ off and thats why i made it to senior management and got my salary up to 100K by not taking any time off in my mid 20's and late 20's.

everywhere i go everyone assumes im already married with kids and when i say im not they look at me like somethings wrong or something?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
          i wouldn't call myself rich i barely made 6 figures meaning i was just over the 100K mark.

now people who are making like 500K or 750K now those guys i'd consider rich.

also i sacrificed a lot cause most of my friends are already married with kids i had no time to get serious with a girl or even have time to get married if i wanted to.

most of my mid and late 20's was spent being a slave and working my aZZ off and thats why i made it to senior management and got my salary up to 100K by not taking any time off in my mid 20's and late 20's.

everywhere i go everyone assumes im already married with kids and when i say im not they look at me like somethings wrong or something?
          Now that you have the free time, why not work on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Oxn View Post
            Now that you have the free time, why not work on that?
            True but i dont want to settle down with no job and more so no benefits.

I do have enough saved up and most of everything i own is paid off but i definitely need benefits especially if i get married and have kids obviously.

Comment

1) It's pretty clear they are doing this to save as much money as they can. They figure if they keep 3 of us to train the younger guys then the younger guys can do our jobs at much lower wages and for much longer than us?

2)I handled all the HR duties within my properties all the hiring/recruting/development/employee relations, signed all the checks, terminated who needed to be fired and everything else wouldn't that make me an HR expert? Again I truly dont mind entry level as long as the benefits are good and the company is stable and they wont do me wrong again.

3) I don't mind going into property management again but most everything is again only entry level. most of the senior property management positions are held by guys who don't leave until they retire or die. I wouldn't even mind retail management just as long as its close by and theres a good amount of hot chicks who always come in to look at.
              1) That's pretty ****ed up. They're letting you go, but milking you so they are in a position that they can do so more comfortably...yeah that's not right. I would contact my trade union here in the UK at the very least here in the UK.

2) If that is the case, then read up on HR Manager/HR Business Partner/HR Consultant roles and go for it. Some good money to be made in those roles and it depends on what company you apply for in regards to stability.

3) If I'm making a serious career decision (especially at your age, im guessing you're in your mid/late 30's?) then I wouldn't even be thinking about **** like that. It would be purely - Salary, hours, field of work, future prospects and can you see yourself doing it for an extended period of time?

Comment

why dont u get into a job that is 100% tax free homes

u can be ur own boss

u dont need to pay no tax to the guero

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
                  1) That's pretty ****ed up. They're letting you go, but milking you so they are in a position that they can do so more comfortably...yeah that's not right. I would contact my trade union here in the UK at the very least here in the UK.

2) If that is the case, then read up on HR Manager/HR Business Partner/HR Consultant roles and go for it. Some good money to be made in those roles and it depends on what company you apply for in regards to stability.

3) If I'm making a serious career decision (especially at your age, im guessing you're in your mid/late 30's?) then I wouldn't even be thinking about **** like that. It would be purely - Salary, hours, field of work, future prospects and can you see yourself doing it for an extended period of time?
                  1) Exactly its like the new modern age of CEO's cutting cost and maximizing profit by any means needed and if that means Fing over 90% of your senior management and senior employees then yeah and yes we got F'd over bad.

2) I'm not sure if its like this over by you but here in LA the HR community is pretty exclusive they pretty much don't take in anymore HR managers even if we have major experience like I explained I do. They kinda only look out for others within their HR circle. Don't know why but its like that. One recruiter even told me straight up its near impossible to join that HR circle cause I told her to get me into HR management since I've pretty much been doing HR management. Theres some like HR society called PIHRA and they eat breakfast together and share secrets or something like that. But i heard they hook each other up with inside jobs and such too. I never was able to go to any of their meetings cause I was always working 24/7.

3) yeah im that age category. but i pretty much just want to join a stable company that will have great benefits and wont do me wrong like these guys did. salary is the lowest on my list cause I know i have to pretty much start over if its a new industry, and i want a new industry where everyone is happy and positive and not trying to backstab each other to get ahead.

Comment

I don't know why people go online to lie to a bunch of strangers for attention. Really bro?

-So you made "6-figures", but now you'll take anything even 40k. Lol ok doesn't sound like the mentality of someone who used to make 6 figures.

-no one is over qualified. Companies will create a position if they don't have one for someone they really want on board. Companies spend a lot of time and resources looking for "over qualified" people to work for them.

-People who make 6 figures are wildly successful and educated. Those people have traits, experience, and relationships in the industry that have gotten them to where they are. They don't struggle to find new jobs, and usually they are constantly turning down job offers.

-You don't even know how to use excel. excel has been a major part of organizations since the 80's. Senior level managers live on reports.

Either way good luck to you

Comment

1) Exactly its like the new modern age of CEO's cutting cost and maximizing profit by any means needed and if that means Fing over 90% of your senior management and senior employees then yeah and yes we got F'd over bad.

2) I'm not sure if its like this over by you but here in LA the HR community is pretty exclusive they pretty much don't take in anymore HR managers even if we have major experience like I explained I do. They kinda only look out for others within their HR circle. Don't know why but its like that. One recruiter even told me straight up its near impossible to join that HR circle cause I told her to get me into HR management since I've pretty much been doing HR management. Theres some like HR society called PIHRA and they eat breakfast together and share secrets or something like that. But i heard they hook each other up with inside jobs and such too. I never was able to go to any of their meetings cause I was always working 24/7.

3) yeah im that age category. but i pretty much just want to join a stable company that will have great benefits and wont do me wrong like these guys did. salary is the lowest on my list cause I know i have to pretty much start over if its a new industry, and i want a new industry where everyone is happy and positive and not trying to backstab each other to get ahead.
                      2) It is here TO A CERTAIN degree. The HR community is pretty reliant on your experience. Now, I have a GREAT academic background (Good grades in my Degree and Masters in HRM from a top uni) but when I graduated I got NO interviews for any HR roles even though every week I applied to any entry level ones that were advertised in my county and a little beyond. Try doing this for months and receiving no interviews, pretty ****ing ****ty. Not going to lie, for the first time in my life I felt kind of helpless...just waiting for the right break to come along. It never did, so I had to be pro-active rather than reactive. I initially applied for a HR Admin assistant voluntary work experience role at my old college straight out of university, they initially accepted but then I told them that I'm going to try and find paid employment for a while if I can't ill get back to you. For about 4 months I looked around, until I saw one role advertised (poorly might I add) on a job board for a HR Admin, I needed to be security cleared which I wasn't initially so they had to applied to see if I would be or not (which I was after a month wait and about $65 of my money). Turns out it was at the same college covering a worker who went on maternity, they decided to not replace their employee who went on maternity so I was basically waiting for a month for nothing (even though, I didn't rely on that only i was applying for other jobs).

I got one interview but that wasn't necessarily HR initially it was for working in a supermarket but since they were opening a new store they had roles in HR and Admin, which I applied to instead. I didn't get the job so I contacted the College again, they said they could not accommodate me at this point in time. After about 2 months of applying for many HR admin roles, and contacting loads of places for voluntary hr work experience, I had got a reply back again from the college and they said that they were happy to get me in for some work experience in HR. 4 weeks later, I was security cleared and today marks 1 month of working at the college. Since I started working here in a HR (voluntary) role, I have received 5 interview offers, 4 for next week and 1 the week after and I haven't applied for that many roles either compared with how much I used to (had no job, so had more time to apply for jobs).

The issue is, there aren't enough HR Trainee jobs here in the UK. They are very rare, and when they do arise there are 100's of applicants for each one. The last one I applied for got 220 applicants and they didn't shortlist me because I didn't live close enough. I'm about 10-15 years younger than you at the very least and possess a very different employment background than you so it's kind of hard to relate totally to you but I do get your situation I believe. HR is a VERY tough field to get into, I've been told this by many people and I do agree. Competition is high, experience is VITAL. Most jobs will be taken by those with HR experience here in the UK.

Someone with your background would be able to find a HR senior level role fairly easily in my opinion in the UK. Good money in it too.

Originally posted by Androidizm View Post

-no one is over qualified. Companies will create a position if they don't have one for someone they really want on board. Companies spend a lot of time and resources looking for "over qualified" people to work for them.
                      Agree with pretty much everything you said bar this point. I'm speaking from experience here, I applied for an entry level admin assistant role out of university here and I got rejected due to being overqualified and because I may get bored of the job and jump ship essentially. We were shortlisting some candidates last week I think and one of the members of the panel removed one individual due to them being overqualified.

It DOES happen, as a recruiter its your responsibility to find suitable candidates who are competent and will remain loyal to the company. I'm sorry but with his employment history, MOST of the time it will be difficult to get an entry level job unless you lie on your CV/resume.

Comment

Working...
                      X