Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm Overqualified For All The Jobs I Applied To?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Androidizm View Post
    I don't know why people go online to lie to a bunch of strangers for attention. Really bro?

-So you made "6-figures", but now you'll take anything even 40k. Lol ok doesn't sound like the mentality of someone who used to make 6 figures.

-no one is over qualified. Companies will create a position if they don't have one for someone they really want on board. Companies spend a lot of time and resources looking for "over qualified" people to work for them.

-People who make 6 figures are wildly successful and educated. Those people have traits, experience, and relationships in the industry that have gotten them to where they are. They don't struggle to find new jobs, and usually they are constantly turning down job offers.

-You don't even know how to use excel. excel has been a major part of organizations since the 80's. Senior level managers live on reports.

Either way good luck to you
    I'm not here trying to get attention im here to get advice and suggestions. Why would I lie to a bunch of dudes that i'm over qualified for?

I am and 4 of my interviewees actually said "You are overqualified for this position".

I was making just barely over 100K and yes I developed major contacts and networks but they were all directly related to my last job which F'd me over so I don't want to use any of those connections for obvious reasons!

As I explained im at an older age where we were not taught excel in high school or college not one of my courses taught or required it not even one!

All of my jobs had old school bosses who wanted to use handwritten ledgers and most of them either kept records in ledgers or even xeroxed them for our quarterly meetings or had someone at kinkos or whatever produce charts for them. So these are the reasons why I never learned Excel none of my classes or jobs used excel.

And again making 100k aint **** i live in California you probably have to make about at least 200K just to be comfortable living here so for all of you losers crying that we are lying or whatever 100K is not even enough to have a house, car, and live comfortable in a decent neighborhood in LA.

In desperate times you will take a 40K job over being jobless if i have to explain this then theres no hope for you.

Comment

[QUOTE=hayZ;14658564]2) It is here TO A CERTAIN degree. The HR community is pretty reliant on your experience. Now, I have a GREAT academic background (Good grades in my Degree and Masters in HRM from a top uni) but when I graduated I got NO interviews for any HR roles even though every week I applied to any entry level ones that were advertised in my county and a little beyond. Try doing this for months and receiving no interviews, pretty ****ing ****ty. Not going to lie, for the first time in my life I felt kind of helpless...just waiting for the right break to come along. It never did, so I had to be pro-active rather than reactive. I initially applied for a HR Admin assistant voluntary work experience role at my old college straight out of university, they initially accepted but then I told them that I'm going to try and find paid employment for a while if I can't ill get back to you. For about 4 months I looked around, until I saw one role advertised (poorly might I add) on a job board for a HR Admin, I needed to be security cleared which I wasn't initially so they had to applied to see if I would be or not (which I was after a month wait and about $65 of my money). Turns out it was at the same college covering a worker who went on maternity, they decided to not replace their employee who went on maternity so I was basically waiting for a month for nothing (even though, I didn't rely on that only i was applying for other jobs).

I got one interview but that wasn't necessarily HR initially it was for working in a supermarket but since they were opening a new store they had roles in HR and Admin, which I applied to instead. I didn't get the job so I contacted the College again, they said they could not accommodate me at this point in time. After about 2 months of applying for many HR admin roles, and contacting loads of places for voluntary hr work experience, I had got a reply back again from the college and they said that they were happy to get me in for some work experience in HR. 4 weeks later, I was security cleared and today marks 1 month of working at the college. Since I started working here in a HR (voluntary) role, I have received 5 interview offers, 4 for next week and 1 the week after and I haven't applied for that many roles either compared with how much I used to (had no job, so had more time to apply for jobs).

The issue is, there aren't enough HR Trainee jobs here in the UK. They are very rare, and when they do arise there are 100's of applicants for each one. The last one I applied for got 220 applicants and they didn't shortlist me because I didn't live close enough. I'm about 10-15 years younger than you at the very least and possess a very different employment background than you so it's kind of hard to relate totally to you but I do get your situation I believe. HR is a VERY tough field to get into, I've been told this by many people and I do agree. Competition is high, experience is VITAL. Most jobs will be taken by those with HR experience here in the UK.

Someone with your background would be able to find a HR senior level role fairly easily in my opinion in the UK. Good money in it too.

So when you say you are working voluntary you are saying you are working for free? Like an internship or you are truly volunteering your time to work for them? So you are not getting compensated in any way?

Where are you residing again?

Yes I would do a senior management HR job in a heartbeat, basically because I been doing that job anyway as our GM for the last several years.

Some HR Director jobs here pay like 140K! Now I know why those old ladies never leave their jobs lol.

I think ill join the HR society at least for a year and see how it goes.

Comment

If you're a threat, you can just forget about landing that job...

Comment

So I got 3 interviews lined up next week lol.

All are pretty much entry level but they seem to really want me.

One of the recruiters even gasped once I called her back because she was trying to call me several times I guess?

They are all close by like within 5 miles so even if they are just entry level pay I wont have to commute far.

Here we go again.................... OVERQUALIFIED (hopefully not knock on wood)

Comment

[QUOTE=TheGR8TESTOAT;14659069]
            Originally posted by hayZ View Post
            2) It is here TO A CERTAIN degree. The HR community is pretty reliant on your experience. Now, I have a GREAT academic background (Good grades in my Degree and Masters in HRM from a top uni) but when I graduated I got NO interviews for any HR roles even though every week I applied to any entry level ones that were advertised in my county and a little beyond. Try doing this for months and receiving no interviews, pretty ****ing ****ty. Not going to lie, for the first time in my life I felt kind of helpless...just waiting for the right break to come along. It never did, so I had to be pro-active rather than reactive. I initially applied for a HR Admin assistant voluntary work experience role at my old college straight out of university, they initially accepted but then I told them that I'm going to try and find paid employment for a while if I can't ill get back to you. For about 4 months I looked around, until I saw one role advertised (poorly might I add) on a job board for a HR Admin, I needed to be security cleared which I wasn't initially so they had to applied to see if I would be or not (which I was after a month wait and about $65 of my money). Turns out it was at the same college covering a worker who went on maternity, they decided to not replace their employee who went on maternity so I was basically waiting for a month for nothing (even though, I didn't rely on that only i was applying for other jobs).

I got one interview but that wasn't necessarily HR initially it was for working in a supermarket but since they were opening a new store they had roles in HR and Admin, which I applied to instead. I didn't get the job so I contacted the College again, they said they could not accommodate me at this point in time. After about 2 months of applying for many HR admin roles, and contacting loads of places for voluntary hr work experience, I had got a reply back again from the college and they said that they were happy to get me in for some work experience in HR. 4 weeks later, I was security cleared and today marks 1 month of working at the college. Since I started working here in a HR (voluntary) role, I have received 5 interview offers, 4 for next week and 1 the week after and I haven't applied for that many roles either compared with how much I used to (had no job, so had more time to apply for jobs).

The issue is, there aren't enough HR Trainee jobs here in the UK. They are very rare, and when they do arise there are 100's of applicants for each one. The last one I applied for got 220 applicants and they didn't shortlist me because I didn't live close enough. I'm about 10-15 years younger than you at the very least and possess a very different employment background than you so it's kind of hard to relate totally to you but I do get your situation I believe. HR is a VERY tough field to get into, I've been told this by many people and I do agree. Competition is high, experience is VITAL. Most jobs will be taken by those with HR experience here in the UK.

Someone with your background would be able to find a HR senior level role fairly easily in my opinion in the UK. Good money in it too.

So when you say you are working voluntary you are saying you are working for free? Like an internship or you are truly volunteering your time to work for them? So you are not getting compensated in any way?

Where are you residing again?

Yes I would do a senior management HR job in a heartbeat, basically because I been doing that job anyway as our GM for the last several years.

Some HR Director jobs here pay like 140K! Now I know why those old ladies never leave their jobs lol.

I think ill join the HR society at least for a year and see how it goes.
            Residing here in the UK, I'm working for free yeah basically it's the only way I can get some form of HR experience on my CV. I only work about 15-18 hours a week, 3 days. It's essentially an internship, I'm there to learn as much as I can about HR and they explain a lot of how everything works in the college mainly with regards to HR. It's like a 15 minute walk from my house too so that's pretty cool.

Ever since I got that HR Admin Assistant text in my CV, I have been invited for about 4 interviews within a few weeks lol and I'm pretty picky with what roles I choose now too. I think the HR society/circle thing works different here though, maybe it's just LA because I doubt an area as big as the U.S would work like that.

What I don't get is, why do people invite you for an interview and THEN say you're overqualified? What's the point in inviting you in the first place? What a waste of time for everyone involved. I feel as though, if you are at the interview stage, that's a good sign usually. It's pretty much about how you perform I'd have thought at this point.

Comment

[QUOTE=hayZ;14660256]
              Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post

Residing here in the UK, I'm working for free yeah basically it's the only way I can get some form of HR experience on my CV. I only work about 15-18 hours a week, 3 days. It's essentially an internship, I'm there to learn as much as I can about HR and they explain a lot of how everything works in the college mainly with regards to HR. It's like a 15 minute walk from my house too so that's pretty cool.

Ever since I got that HR Admin Assistant text in my CV, I have been invited for about 4 interviews within a few weeks lol and I'm pretty picky with what roles I choose now too. I think the HR society/circle thing works different here though, maybe it's just LA because I doubt an area as big as the U.S would work like that.

What I don't get is, why do people invite you for an interview and THEN say you're overqualified? What's the point in inviting you in the first place? What a waste of time for everyone involved. I feel as though, if you are at the interview stage, that's a good sign usually. It's pretty much about how you perform I'd have thought at this point.
              Well thats good and probably best that you are volunteering and gaining HR experience and connections verses not doing anything productive at all. Congrats on getting 4 interviews already within a few weeks, seems like you'll be onto a decent job soon.

Yeah HR in LA is like a secret society or sorority so i will sign up and join that organization probably as soon as monday. now i actually have time to go to their breakfast meetings lol.

I really can't comprehend it at all as well. I mean they clearly read my resume and application they see I've been a GM and senior management for the past decade. They see my salary history is above 100K. They see I have a bachelors among other management program certifications.

On top of all that most are even phone screening me first doing a phone interview for like 15minutes asking me preliminary questions first before even meeting me in person. So they clearly know what i'm about.

I think when they see me in person and see how legitimate i am and my resume and experience really is something triggers them to either feel threatened that im too over qualified for the position and may leave as soon as a better job hires me or they feel i may end up stealing their job or their next promotion because I have a better resume and more experience than them?

It's almost as if I was more like an idiot or less confident in person then id might get hired? LOL

Its funny you keeping saying CV. Here in America well at least here in LA we never say CV we say resume. I know CV is more common in the UK or with educational requirements.

Hey well please keep me updated on your career. Good luck with those 4 interviews and let me know how they go.

Lets encourage each other with good news and updates bro!

Comment

They probably got bored of reading you blow smoke up your own ass in your Resume and at interviews

Comment

Originally posted by Patty Tanager View Post
                  They probably got bored of reading you blow smoke up your own ass in your Resume and at interviews
                  should i start tap dancing in the middle of it all?

Comment

Why not apply for a similar job or one that you're barely qualified? You say you are single with no family, why not consider relocating? That's what I would do, invest my time energy looking for a specific job that mirrored my previous job, even if it was 1000 miles away. It would broaden your chances of landing the job you wanted without being "overqualified" plus I bet it would be exiting to relocate.

I have a friend in almost the exact situation you're in. I think he has been humbled because he used to be a ****y guy. I feel bad for him because he is a good guy (albeit ****y) and he has family. I feel confidenti he'll findna job though, the guy is quite smart anv very innovative plus he has 20+ years experience as a GM under his belt. The only disadvantage for him per se in regards to finding the right job, is that he shares custody of his 2 children with his ex-wife. That's where you have an advantage of relocating.

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCal Chicano View Post
                      Why not apply for a similar job or one that you're barely qualified? You say you are single with no family, why not consider relocating? That's what I would do, invest my time energy looking for a specific job that mirrored my previous job, even if it was 1000 miles away. It would broaden your chances of landing the job you wanted without being "overqualified" plus I bet it would be exiting to relocate.

I have a friend in almost the exact situation you're in. I think he has been humbled because he used to be a ****y guy. I feel bad for him because he is a good guy (albeit ****y) and he has family. I feel confidenti he'll findna job though, the guy is quite smart anv very innovative plus he has 20+ years experience as a GM under his belt. The only disadvantage for him per se in regards to finding the right job, is that he shares custody of his 2 children with his ex-wife. That's where you have an advantage of relocating.

Good luck!
                      GReen K bro thanks appreciate it.

Boxingscene censored what u said about him tho I can't fully understand what you were describing him as it censored it twice?

I have about 10 years under my belt of management experience and about 8 years GM experience.

I think the major thing for me is I lived all over and So Cal is definitely the place I want to be and live in and retire in. I'm really big on the weather down here and all the things to do from the beaches, to the mountains driving up to Vegas, the Bay area or down to SD. Yes I agree california as a whole sucks for employment and jobs it seems theres more people here than there are jobs and the competition is probably the worst in the nation.

If I was not so die hard for So Cal then I'd probably be living in Arizona or Vegas or Texas already. It seems all the jobs in Texas are booming and all the companies are going there.

If you have a good job with good benefits in Cali tho then yeah man thats the life! I think the key really is to land one of those and be comfortable up till your twilight years.

I'm done trying to get a crazy high paid job that stresses me out or destroys my car and i have to commute and drive all the time and not even know if we'll be around month to month. I'd rather work a company for less pay knowing the company will be there until I'm up in my 60's.

Comment

Working...
                      X