Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Nye Debates Ken Ham on Creationism..LIVE on Youtube tonight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
    This gotta be one of the better questions religious people ask because they actually think we came FROM gorillas and monkeys.

We have a common ancestor, which we're still trying to figure out. Like I said before, we need another 200 years+ for more answers for this "debate" to become concrete.
    First of all I want to say good luck with your school and studies.

Second, I actually believe that religion and science shouldn't clash at all.

All the bible states is that God created things, but rarely touches on the process.

There is so much that is unknown and so many gaps.

Also the bible rarely touches on science as well. This is why I think the two should be separate.

The only discussion I think that should even be up for debate is Abiogenesis vs God starting life on earth. Unfortunately, neither side will ever prove one of the other, making it a moot point.

Comment

Also, why is religion so hard to understand/decipher? It seems when someone has a counterargument to a religious ideal its always that the non-religious person doesn't understand it. The religious people can go read our science books and get all the answers they've ever wanted.
      Its more that its just not worth going to the trouble of analyzing because its a book of silly fairly tails written in metaphors not meant to be taken literally and was created by ancient people who had limited knowledge about how the natural world works.

I don't blame the people who founded religions because if you were an ancient person trying to scratch a living and saw a lightning bolt destroy a tree you might come to a similar conclusion about where it came from with your limited knowledge about natural happenings during that time, problem is now we all should know better and its pure stubbornness clinging to outdated ideas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brother Khalid View Post
        First of all I want to say good luck with your school and studies.

Second, I actually believe that religion and science shouldn't clash at all.

All the bible states is that God created things, but rarely touches on the process.

There is so much that is unknown and so many gaps.

Also the bible rarely touches on science as well. This is why I think the two should be separate.

The only discussion I think that should even be up for debate is Abiogenesis vs God starting life on earth. Unfortunately, neither side will ever prove one of the other, making it a moot point.
        I agree 100% in current times its still a bit of a touchy subject, but I think the Bill Nye and Ken Ham debate really sparks from creationist getting picked on at work... maybe we should focus on stopping bullying

Scientists will discover the uknown, maybe we'll die meeting our creator (a la Prometheus[this movie sucked]). Until then religion will be alive until science brings concrete evidence to the origin of Earth debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
          Its more that its just not worth going to the trouble of analyzing because its a book of silly fairly tails written in metaphors not meant to be taken literally and was created by ancient people who had limited knowledge about how the natural world works.

I don't blame the people who founded religions because if you were an ancient person trying to scratch a living and saw a lightning bolt destroy a tree you might come to a similar conclusion about where it came from with your limited knowledge about natural happenings during that time, problem is now we all should know better and its pure stubbornness clinging to outdated ideas.
          I have to agree with you on this one and full credit to how you describe it, couldn't have put it better myself. This and another posters line on many people believing in religion for that sense of meaning and magic, especially in the after life really sums it up for me. Of course that would very rarely be accepted and psychologically I can see why.

I've only considered myself a strong atheist the past 5ish years. To be perfectly honest, when I answer or discuss the topic of there being no after life, it still kind've depresses me. I mean, that's it, our ancestors, loved ones, ourselves....die and that is literally it. Fuck that's kinda depressing.

Ken Ham exposes the religious opportunism of this psyche, when he says "to teach evolution is to teach kids they are just animals, there's no god, they came from millions of years of evolution." They DID/ARE!!!

"Creationists are teaching children they are special, they are made in the image of god".

It's clear this position of many religious pushers is largely about choosing the more comforting, magical, faith based option over and beyond the unpleasant truth - regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kris Silver View Post
            I have to agree with you on this one and full credit to how you describe it, couldn't have put it better myself. This and another posters line on many people believing in religion for that sense of meaning and magic, especially in the after life really sums it up for me. Of course that would very rarely be accepted and psychologically I can see why.

I've only considered myself a strong atheist the past 5ish years. To be perfectly honest, when I answer or discuss the topic of there being no after life, it still kind've depresses me. I mean, that's it, our ancestors, loved ones, ourselves....die and that is literally it. Fuck that's kinda depressing.

Ken Ham exposes the religious opportunism of this psyche, when he says "to teach evolution is to teach kids they are just animals, there's no god, they came from millions of years of evolution." They DID/ARE!!!

"Creationists are teaching children they are special, they are made in the image of god".

It's clear this position of many religious pushers is largely about choosing the more comforting, magical, faith based option over and beyond the unpleasant truth - regardless of any evidence to the contrary.
            Well if Kim Jong Un can teach kids to be American murderers, we can teach our kids whatever the **** we want

Comment

It is tough as we learn more about natural phenomenon because its contrary to an optimistic view about life and people are scared to question everything they think they know about why we are here and what is really important or if their lives have meaning. This I think is what the resistance to discovery about how the universe came to be what it is might be based around.

Comment

• Comment

Well if Kim Jong Un can teach kids to be American murderers, we can teach our kids whatever the **** we want
                  How does Kim Jong Un teach kids to murder Americans exactly?

I think for your own interests if nothing else, you need to back up exactly what your describing here. Please elaborate.

Comment

How does Kim Jong Un teach kids to murder Americans exactly?

I think for your own interests if nothing else, you need to back up exactly what your describing here. Please elaborate.
                    It was a joke/sarcasm lol. Although I know they do have images like this in their country:
                    I remember viewing a documentary with kids surrounded in a room with an image similar in front of them.

Comment

It was a joke/sarcasm lol. Although I know they do have images like this in their country:
                      I remember viewing a documentary with kids surrounded in a room with an image similar in front of them.
                      I don't know what you think sarcasm is but that wasn't it.

It wasn't a funny joke, so just came across distasteful, ignorant and lame tbh.

Oh well, nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                      X