Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 greatest military generals of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

General Motors

General Practitioners.

The General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.

^ Top 3 IMO.

Comment

SUN TZU

/Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post

So you're going with Mel Gibson? You know William Wallace didn't write that speech ;-)

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
          True to an extent but in a boxing forum I imagine a lot of people have had experience with the sport, I can only speak for myself and know that I have. War is infinitely deeper and more complex than boxing (it also has a much much longer history), a person can't seriously answer this question. It seems people on every forum are experts in ranking everything.
          Relax, we're just having a bit of fun.

Originally posted by -Makunouchi- View Post
          Douglas McArthur!

Napoleon Bonaparte

Adolf Hitler
          Hitler was an idiot. He should have left the war to his generals. It's thanks to his personal intervention they lost on the eastern front.

Originally posted by devildg View Post
          1a. Alexander the Great - enough ****in said!!!! He set the standard for greatness.

1b. Caius Julius Caesar (Read his Gallic Commentaries. He knew how to handle those Germanic barbarians. Too bad he didnt wipe them out completely)

2. Napoleon (learned from the mistakes of Caesar. Although he had a fatal flaw like his hero)

3. Georgy Zhukov - We all know the Russians were the real heroes of WWII

4. Ulysses S Grant (weak on tactics, but winning is all that matters in wars)

5. Genghis Khan - on sheer size of conquest, but it sure as hell didnt last very long

honorable mention: Erwin Rommel, Hannibal Barca, Tecumseh Sherman, Scipio Africanus (defeated Hannibal of Carthage), Robert E Lee
          Khan didn't lose it though, he died on top unlike most of the others. I respect Alexander but I think the fact he was born as the ruler and king gave him an unfair advantage over the others. It took ceaser 5 decades to consolidate that kind of power before he could really do what he wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
            Yanks.

How about Hannibal? William the Bastard? Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington?

Can we count naval Admirals too? Because if we can then it's Nelson.
            My thesis in college was on Carthage and the Punic Wars, and by all accounts Hannibal is up there on the pound for pound scale. Scipio deserves an honorable mention as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ~BoZz~ View Post
              Khalid Ibn al-Waleed, GOAT
              Genuinely thought you were being sarcastic and were talking about:

Until i Googled The Dictator and remembered he was called Aladeen not Al-Waleed.

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
              Armchair military experts
              And this made me LOL for some reason.

Comment

deleted...
                Last edited by Tom Cruise; 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Saladin from the 3rd crusade deserves a mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    Saladin from the 3rd crusade deserves a mention.

Or is that Osama bin Laden?

Comment

1. Genghis Khan
                      2. Alexander The Great
                      3. Julius Caesar
                      4. Hannibal
                      5. The others

Comment

Working...
                      X