Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post

Gun culture in the US is predicated upon a fantasy, the fantasy of the Wild West gunman defending his righteous ass from outlaws. This incident is just one more example of someone dying as a direct result of this fantasy.
    No it's not. You don't live here, and don't understand it.

Again, for the third time I ask. Why do you care?

Comment

You think I would brag about my insurance to someone in a car accident!? Good grief no, I'd want to give the impression that my insurance is barely adequate!

We agree to disagree on certain points.

But I will say this.

I don't think AR-15, AK variants with 100+ round beta magazines, or .50 caliber BMG firing rifles should be available to the general American public.

There is the 2nd Amendment, and then there is common sense.

A flippant, stupid quip by the head of the NRA doesn't speak for all of us.

Comment

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...out-police-say

Two guys with legal concealed weapons get into a road rage argument, pull over at a car wash and shoot each other dead. If only they were carrying guns then they would have been able to defend themselves from each other.

Even better, one of these guys had his weapons license revoked for a DUI in 2006 but reapplied for it in 2009 and got it back! Yep, it's OK to be drunk and angry just as long as you aren't unarmed.
        Squealpiggy,

You're a smart person. All I will say is that we need to be careful to not extrapolate any data, that we come across, onto the whole picture. \]

Two people opened fire on themselves, but I have to ask if this is "red-herring" material" or just run of the mill Darwinism's "SOTF."

Comment

• Saying that everyone who owns a gun for self defense is a nut who wants to kill people is akin to saying that everyone who takes a self defense class wants to kick the ***** out of people. I'll have to tell my nieces that the next time I see them, I'm sure they'll get a laugh out of it. Seriously, where do you people come up with this crap?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
            Saying that everyone who owns a gun for self defense is a nut who wants to kill people is akin to saying that everyone who takes a self defense class wants to kick the ***** out of people. I'll have to tell my nieces that the next time I see them, I'm sure they'll get a laugh out of it. Seriously, where do you people come up with this crap?
            Surely that's the draw for a lot of people though, right?

I'm talking about the self-defense thing, BTW. I've known multiple idiots who took either self-defense classes or some other form of martial arts instructions and almost immediately convinced themselves that they were walking badasses who could spring into action and save lives at the drop of a hat.

For what it's worth, I've known several people who I'd call "responsible gun owners" over the years, and I have the utmost respect for them. But you know my stance on the gun issue, as well. I just don't feel like debating it here anymore because it's beating a dead horse.

Like I've said before, we (the stronger regulations crowd) already lost that battle some time ago, and as a result we're now forced to live in the society that you (the "we have enough regulations" crowd) advocated for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fistic View Post
              Squealpiggy,

You're a smart person. All I will say is that we need to be careful to not extrapolate any data, that we come across, onto the whole picture. \]

Two people opened fire on themselves, but I have to ask if this is "red-herring" material" or just run of the mill Darwinism's "SOTF."
              Knowing Piggy Fistic my good man, this is more along the lines of strawman rather than red-herring. We both know Piggy is far too intelligent to be dense on the ways and actions of the average "armed" American.

Comment

• Was never the reason I studied Karate and Judo as a kid, wrestled 3 years in High School or took a Taekwondo class from this cute lesbian chick in college. Rather proud of my ability to avoid fights, as a matter of fact, even when I had to bounce to earn money on the side. But whatever the draw for a lot of people, it's pretty stupid to condemn millions of people, simply because you don't think they should have the right to defend themselves.

I'm not one of those "no regulation" guys, but we have seen gun violence drop dramatically over the last 20 years or so, while gun regs have become more lax and concealed carry much more prevalent across the country. I suppose you can blame people like me for wanting to keep them that way, if it makes you feel better. The debate is far from over, unfortunately.

Debating the issue isn't something I enjoy either, it's usually rather like arguing with a Jehovah's Witness. For me it's a little personal. The country I grew up in and loved (Zimbabwe) disarmed every single one of the farmers and systematically slaughtered every last remaining one for refusing to give up their property. Farms most of which today lay fallow. First they had people register all of their weapons, then they came and took everything but a single shot rife. Then they took those. I feel lucky to have left when we did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fistic View Post
                  Squealpiggy,

It's not data. It's a funny news story.

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                  Saying that everyone who owns a gun for self defense is a nut who wants to kill people is akin to saying that everyone who takes a self defense class wants to kick the ***** out of people.
                  Guns are marketed in the US based on the fantasy of being a gun wielding badass who doesn't have to be scared any more. Martial arts are sometimes marketed in the same way, and it's just as dumb then.

Comment

• Ban handguns completely. Having a weapon that can kill masses very quickly, that can be hidden very easily is asking for trouble.

At least with a knifem after the first person you're going to have to work for it. American's are so lazy, they won't run unless BALCO are injecting into them.

Comment

It's not data. It's a funny news story.
                      It is data:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/data

And it's not particularly funny to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X