No announcement yet.

Another Girl Raped In India. She's Only 5 Years Old

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeStevens86 View Post
    your last statement pretty much sums up your mentality.

but nevertheless I will enlighten your ignorance or at least try....

what ratio issue are you talking about? there isn't a much larger number of males in India than females. I didn't even know that was a stigma attached to India but hearing about it now is laughable. Most times when I would be shopping in india the ratio of women to men was like 100 to 1 in shopping centers.

Obvioulsly women love to shop more but if there is a "ratio" problem with women over men in india, I definitely didn't notice it at all.
    http://www.dw.de/no-country-for-wome...dia/a-16036503

is this problem just a select few then? no disrespect to the country of India but the abuse women deal with across the board is nuts.

Comment

Sexual assault
      Sexual assault is another common form of domestic violence in India. Sexual violence can include a range of forceful and non-forceful acts including unwanted kissing, touching, or fondling; sexual/reproductive coercion; rape; and marital rape. In a 1995-1996 PubMed study conducted in Northern India, wife abuse appears to be fairly common throughout the region as a whole. 22% of the 6632 adult men surveyed reported sexually abusing their wife without physical force in at least one instance and 7% reported sexual abuse with physical force. Abuse was most common among men who also had extramarital affairs, and among those who had STD symptoms. Abusive sexual behaviors were also found to be correlated with an elevated rate of unplanned pregnancies.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_in_India

Comment

Originally posted by Bazinga! View Post
        Sexual assault
        Sexual assault is another common form of domestic violence in India. Sexual violence can include a range of forceful and non-forceful acts including unwanted kissing, touching, or fondling; sexual/reproductive coercion; rape; and marital rape. In a 1995-1996 PubMed study conducted in Northern India, wife abuse appears to be fairly common throughout the region as a whole. 22% of the 6632 adult men surveyed reported sexually abusing their wife without physical force in at least one instance and 7% reported sexual abuse with physical force. Abuse was most common among men who also had extramarital affairs, and among those who had STD symptoms. Abusive sexual behaviors were also found to be correlated with an elevated rate of unplanned pregnancies.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_in_India
        those numbers are way to high to be real. Not to say there may be a high domestic issue but 70% is not believable.

this is like the survey of american college girls where 90% claimed to have been date raped. its just one of those numbers that is inflated to shock people into awareness over the issue.

all the male friends that I made in India really did not seem the type to be abusive against their wives. they were really too kind and gentle to do such a thing. but maybe I was just lucky to meet up with nice people.

Comment

that is the sickest thing I have ever heard in my life

Comment

You haven't noticed it? So then this article is only propaganda?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-decline.html

Originally posted by JoeStevens86 View Post
            your last statement pretty much sums up your mentality.

but nevertheless I will enlighten your ignorance or at least try....

what ratio issue are you talking about? there isn't a much larger number of males in India than females. I didn't even know that was a stigma attached to India but hearing about it now is laughable. Most times when I would be shopping in india the ratio of women to men was like 100 to 1 in shopping centers.

Obvioulsly women love to shop more but if there is a "ratio" problem with women over men in india, I definitely didn't notice it at all.

edit: I just looked it up there are 9.4 women to every 10 men in India. That ratio is up since 2001 from 9.1. So much for your made up facts.

Comment

Originally posted by piojo del norte View Post
              You haven't noticed it? So then this article is only propaganda?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-decline.html

thats an article that is talking about select situations in India. yes those situations exist but it isn't a wide spread problem. not even close to being a big problem.

Thats like having an article about the orthodox mormons of utah and how they have 1 husband with multiple wives and using that as an example for the whole culture of America. India has a different culture for every 10 miles. There are vastly differently types of ppl with vastly different types of beliefs all over the country. These articles that you point out doesn't talk about educated Indians who live in major metropolitan areas. Its just some Indians who live in small secluded villages away from society and they invent their own beliefs.

You can find that anywhere in the world not just India.

here is where I got the ratio of male to females in India btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_...g_by_sex_ratio

Comment

and watch how the judge will say those rapist aren't guilty just like what happened to the last rape case.

Comment

This news is sickening. How can one be sexually aroused by a mere pre-schooler?

Comment

Jesus H Christ

New Delhi (CNN) -- Indian police have arrested a man who they say abducted a 5-year-old girl, kept her captive in his house and repeatedly raped her.
                    The girl was initially admitted to a hospital in her neighborhood, where doctors said they removed foreign objects from her genitals, including candle pieces and a small bottle.
                    The assault came barely months after a 23-year physiotherapy student was savagely gang-raped in a moving bus in an attack that triggered seething protests in the country. She later died at a Singapore hospital.
                    In the latest case, a neighbor abducted the girl, locked her in a house and brutally raped her repeatedly before she was found semiconscious three days later, according to police.
                    The suspect was arrested in Bihar state in eastern India and is being brought to New Delhi, city police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.
                    She girl was later transferred to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences hospital in New Delhi.
                    Her condition has stabilized, according to hospital spokesman Y.K. Gupta, who said she underwent surgery to help with her bowel movement.
                    The attack sparked protests in New Delhi on Friday. Many demonstrators are members of a political party of the leading anti-corruption activist, Arvind Kejriwal.
                    Criticized for what was seen as his late response to the December bus-rape attack, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was quick to issue a statement this time, calling the act "shameful".
                    And as the nation's media ran footage of a police officer slapping a female protester, Singh also ordered strict action against the officer and anyone who roughed up demonstrators.
                    The girl went missing Sunday evening, her parents say, and police registered their report Monday.
                    She was found Wednesday in a house on the ground floor of her building.

Comment

That whole area is messed up
                      http://www.ibtimes.com/india-has-rap...-worse-1011268

The infamous gang-rape (and subsequent death) of a young medical student on a Delhi bus last month has cast a harsh glare on India’s ancient patriarchal attitudes towards women as well as the country’s epidemic of rapes.

However, rape is also a serious problem in India’s neighbor and bitter rival, Pakistan.

Rapes occur across Pakistan for a wide array of reasons – for pure lust, for revenge, to avenge a rejected marriage proposal, for religious and ethnic reasons, or simply to satisfy a predatory man’s desire to exert unadulterated brutality and power.

Adding to the unremitting horror, the social stigma surrounding rape frequently leads to the victim committing suicide (often aided and abetted by her own family) or being forcibly married to her attacker (to preserve her family’s "honor.")

Indeed, shortly after the highly publicized death of the Delhi student in a Singapore hospital, a 9-year-old girl was kidnapped, beaten and gang-raped by three men in Pakistan – a horrific incident that has hardly generated much media attention either on the sub-continent or the West. Nor did her suffering inspire massive public demonstrations of sympathy and outrage.

In this case, though, the girl’s mother defied threats from the rapists and informed local police, who soon arrested up to six suspects. The child remains in critical condition in a hospital.

This unspeakable episode occurred just weeks after a six-year-old Hindu girl was gang-raped in Sindh province.

In fact, rapes are so common (and typically unreported), that the perpetrators in Pakistan are rarely ever arrested, much less held over for trial, convicted and jailed.

Perhaps the most famous rape victim in Pakistan was Mukhtar Mai, the illiterate village woman in Punjab who endured a brutal sexual assault by up to 14 men in 2002, survived, sought justice through the courts and became a symbol of the country’s complete disregard for the fairer sex.

Almost all of her rapists were ultimately acquitted after a lengthy series of trials that went all the way up to the Pakistani Supreme Court nine years later. (The other defendant was sent away for life.)

“I felt like the whole world was with me,” she said, according to the Global Post. “But still I did not receive justice.”

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...ang-rape-india

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Days after the Delhi gang-rape victim died, a 9-year-old girl in Pakistan was allegedly abducted from her home and raped by three men.

The captors are said to have beat her before dropping her bleeding body in front of her house. One of the kidnappers is then reported to have threatened her mother, saying they would kill her if she contacted the police.

She did anyway.

The mother then took her daughter, a second-grader, to a nearby hospital where she was treated for a loss of blood and internal injuries. Police have arrested six suspects and a court case is pending.

Few Pakistani media outlets carried this story and no demonstrations have been held in support of the young victim.

Such a muted response is in stark contrast to the protests that are raging in India, demanding justice for the 23-year-old medical student who is alleged to have been raped and brutalized by six men on a moving bus in Delhi.

Even if rape in Pakistan received the same kind of attention, however, finding justice for crimes of sexual violence can be an exceedingly arduous task in Pakistan.

“I had even more people with me, I felt like the whole world was with me,” said Mukthar Mai, whose gang-rape unleashed an outcry in Pakistan in 2002. “But still I did not receive justice.”

Thirteen of the fourteen men charged with raping Mai were acquitted in a case that was appealed all the way to the Supreme Court in 2011. Many in Pakistan now point to her trial as a missed opportunity for reform in the country.

Mai was gang-raped by members of a rival clan on the orders of a jirga, or village council, for an offense that her teenaged brother had allegedly committed.

The severe social stigma associated with rape in Pakistan has pressured many women to commit suicide after suffering such crimes, and Mai admits that she tried repeatedly to end her own life.

It was only when the national media began to report the story — framing her as a victim — that she felt renewed strength to take her case to court.

“When I saw that the media and educated people were standing beside me, I got peace of mind from them,” Mai told GlobalPost from her home in Meerwala, a small village in Punjab. “I started to think that it’s better for a person to fight than to die. If not for yourself, then for others.”

As her case drew international attention, Mai’s family, who had encouraged her to be quiet for fear of reprisals, eventually began to offer their support. She drew the attention of major political actors — although they did not always support her quest for justice.

Mai applied for a visa to leave Pakistan and go to the United States. But in 2005, she was denied. Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf implied at the time that Mai was just using her rape to get rich.

“You must understand the environment in Pakistan,” he said on tape, but nonetheless later tried to deny. “This has become a money-making concern. A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped. It’s the easiest way of doing it.”

India’s ruling elite has made similar statements in response to the now infamous Delhi rape case. Indian lawmaker Abhijit Mukherjee, the son of the Indian president, told regional news networks recently that it was becoming “fashionable to land up on the streets with candle in hand” for “dented and painted women chasing two minutes of fame.”

Mukherjee too later retracted his statement.

Mai laughs when reminded of what Musharraf said. She said she was offered citizenship in a number of countries, including Canada, but was committed to staying and working to improve conditions for women in her hometown.

“I wanted to live in Meerwala, to work for the good of people in Meerwala,” Mai said. And she is doing just that.

Illiterate when she was raped, Mai recalls how hard it was to file a police report and work on her case with lawyers without being able to read. She has since completed primary school and founded the Mukhtar Mai Women’s Organization, which provides education to young girls and refuge to battered women.

She started the organization with about $8,000 given to her by President Musharraf, who made the gesture once her story began to make headlines.

While Mai’s case went all the way to the Supreme Court, 13 of the 14 men originally charged in connection to her rape have been acquitted. One received life in prison.

“That was a case you can say was a litmus test,” says Naeem Ahmed Mirza, who heads the Aurat Foundation, a Pakistani women’s rights organization. “It gave an overview of how lower and superior [courts] function, and how much they need to be sensitized to women’s issues, especially instances of violence.”

Mirza says that Mai’s case was a missed opportunity for real change, but says it’s not just the legal system that need redress.

“There needs to be more awareness and mobilization among masses, victims of violence, other women, and the implementers of these laws, from the police, to jirgas, lower courts and superior courts,” Mirza said.

The media and the nonprofit sector also have a role to play in highlighting cases of rape and domestic violence, since many women feel too ashamed to speak out about it, Mirza said. An annual report compiled by the Aurat Foundation found that violence against women has generally been on the rise since it began to record figures in 2008.

Instances of rape have increased from 778 in 2008 to 827 in 2011, with 928 in both 2009 and 2010. But as the report states, “Rape in particular is under-reported as the victims and their families … keep the matter hidden because of the shame and disgrace attached to the crime.”

On a national level, activists say there is a lack of political will to deal with sexual violence in a more robust way.

A bill intended to offer greater protections for female victims of domestic violence was passed by Pakistan’s National Assembly in 2009, but was thwarted by a religious conservative group. It’s seen repeated delays since, and must now earn approval from each of the country’s four provinces to have a chance at being implemented.

While Mirza fears an increasingly conservative turn in the country will keep the bill from being enacted, if it does pass in the provinces, a new battle will arise — making sure it’s actually enforced.

Comment

Working...
                      X