Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a Black Hole and why do they exist?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
    The Bringer Is god!!!!
    Oh, the irony!...

Comment

Think of a black hole as your alts on this site, larry.

It swallows everything in it's path and it's impossible to escape.

Now if you're asking what a black hoe is then that's a different thing. Or is it?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
          A black hole is a massive star that has burned off all of its helium and collapses under the force of its own gravity.

Here's something more interesting: What is a star?

A star is born from the accretion of hydrogen. In the beginning (heh heh) the hydrogen left over from the Big Bang gathered in "clumps" and because all matter has gravity and gravity is always "on" these clumps then attracted proportionately more hydrogen atoms to themselves. Under the force of gravity they gradually gather sufficient mass to collapse into a sphere (because they're spinning they're actually obliate spheroids, but I digress) and gather yet more mass. Eventually they become so massive that they begin nuclear fusion at their core.

That's what stars are, giant nuclear fusion reactors converting hydrogen into helium under the force of their own gravity. Eventually when all the hydrogen runs out the force of gravity overcomes the energy released in the fusion reaction and the star will collapse until it starts another fusion reaction turning helium into lithium, barium and carbon. At this point when the fuel runs out and the star collapses what happens depends on the mass of the star. A star of a particularly high mass (a massive star) will form a black hole, a singularity of infinite density with such strong gravity that even light cannot escape its density. A less massive star may become a relatively cool white dwarf star (they're white because they are very hot as the energy left from their billions of years of nuclear fusion gradually leaks out into space) but the bigger ones will collapse violently resulting in another set of fusion reactions and a massive explosion sending heavy elements such as iron and oxygen into space. Those heavy elements can't exist without supernova explosions so we owe our existence to exploding stars. As Carl Sagan was fond of saying, "We are all made of star stuff". Or star poo.

Black holes can also be formed by fast collisions as well as the intensity of the collision overcomes the internal pressure of the objects causing them to collapse under their own gravity. But unless the objects in collision are big enough these black holes will simply dissipate.

Tiny black holes have been created in particle accelerators.
          I appreciated that.

Squeal Degrasse Piggy.

Not sure if the info will stick in my brain tho.

Comment

Why does no one ever ask about White holes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hole

Comment

Larry I thought all black men knew the answer to that question...hint...**she has 3**

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX.. View Post
                To me i think it is a delete button or a trash bin,Maybe it is where God stores all the programs he is no longer interested in.I am starting to believe we are just in a program and were made for entertainment.Just look at certain things,when God gets bored with up he may press the delete button and boom Black Hole takes us out
                Its underneath your skull I dont know what it is or why its existing.

Comment

Why is it black? Too many negatives are attached to the word black like black magic, black out etc... As I get older, I realise how much whites slyly refocused black people.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

redicul I mean

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Mud View Post
                      I appreciated that.

Squeal Degrasse Piggy.

Not sure if the info will stick in my brain tho.
                      it was my pleasure! I'm constantly blown away by how much more interesting reality is than any myth. It wasn't long ago that I found out how stars actually work. I mean I knew it was nuclear fusion but I never thought about the process involved. It may as well have been magic. But then I found out that atoms were being fused together by gravity and that just blew my mind!

Originally posted by res View Post
                      Why does no one ever ask about White holes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hole
                      What, are you racist?

Comment

Working...
                      X