No announcement yet.

I just dont get Agnosticism

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fury View Post
    Agnostic-atheism is a contradiction. Atheism is not a lack of belief it is a belief gods do not exist.
    The common broader definition of atheism is a disbelief in a deity. There are degrees of this disbelief.

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
    Its trendy to be atheist right now.
    Id say its become popular to be an outspoken argumentative atheist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud View Post
      The common broader definition of atheism is a disbelief in a deity. There are degrees of this disbelief.
      How so. If you don't believe in something you don't believe in it. If you have a degree of disbelief in the existence of god then you are no atheist.

Comment

How so. If you don't believe in something you don't believe in it. If you have a degree of disbelief in the existence of god then you are no atheist.

True. I meant degrees of certainty. Some state there is no god as a factual statement, but the vast majority of atheists merely lack a belief.

Comment

True. I meant degrees of certainty. Some state there is no god as a factual statement, but the vast majority of atheists merely lack a belief.
          That is agnostic. Atheism is a belief.

Comment

That is agnostic. Atheism is a belief.
            Atheists lack a belief in God. Therefore they believe there is no God.
            Same thing.

The lines are fuzzy between agnosticism and atheism imo. As we see in this thread, people define agnosticism differently. Same with atheism.

For me, agnosticism is stating 'maybe there is a god, maybe there aint'.

Whilst atheism is saying 'i dont believe in any gods'. (of the supernatural universe creating kind....not the Jimi Hendrix kind)

Comment

all religions have a "greater being" to worship. how many millions have died in the name of god, allah, muhammad or whoever you you worship? no one can prove their existance. it's all on hearsay, scriptures from a book, etc. i'm not sure what to believe. scientists have found stuff that could exlain things about our pasts but still everything is all theories. it would be interesting to see how people's beliefs would be if aliens were actually discovered...

Comment

Same thing.

The lines are fuzzy between agnosticism and atheism imo. As we see in this thread, people define agnosticism differently. Same with atheism.

Whilst atheism is saying 'i dont believe in any gods'. (of the supernatural universe creating kind....not the Jimi Hendrix kind)
                thats a trippy sig

Comment

Same thing.

Lacking belief and not believing are not the same thing. Lack of belief is what agnostics, babies, fish, plants and rocks have.

Comment

The Bringer already killed this thread.

The notion that so-called "not knowing" equates to being agnostic, however, relates to the logical fallacy that 'religiousness' is a default position.

You can never prove a negative. If I drop an egg, and it breaks and splatters on the ground, I can say with a high degree of probability that gravity was responsible. But, you can not prove this to be the case.

Asking someone to prove that there is no god is like asking someone to prove that there is gravity. It can't be done.

Regardless, why must religion be the default position? I am not religious, and I have never been religious. By definition, that makes me an atheist.

Comment

People have to agree with common definitions first before they argue. What I see here are people arguing on how things should be defined.

Comment

Working...
                      X