No announcement yet.

How do you rate Eminem as lyricist?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Only emcee's you listed I'd compare with Em are Common, KRS-One, Rakim, Nas, and AZ, who was a big influence on Em.

Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP are 100% deemed classics by multiple critics, and hip hop fans in general. Infinite is an underground classic, give it a listen. You can hear the obvious early influences on Em.

It's Purple Pills by the way....Em has more versatility in not only his subject matter, but his flow, than most all you just mentioned.

It's not the opposite, he was able to transcend from the ubran community to the burbs being white....but if Em were black, I know plenty of brothers who would give him more props then he gets. He gets his proper dues from most. Look you don't like Em, but you'd be a fool to discredit him lyrically. Show me when Common killed another emcee the way Em killed Jay on Renegade.

Em, Nas, Rakim, KRS-One. They top my list.
    You clearly have either not heard albums from the artists i Mentioned because if you have you would know they are superior.

Eminem makes music for teenage girls. Eminem has never released a classic he tries to make comedy type music but he is not funny. everything he evr released with D12 was god awful. He has tracks rapping about Mary Kae and Ashley? Seriously? My dad's gone crazy was god awful!

You are either under 25 or white and you only rate Eminem highly because you can relate to his absolute non sense about hating his mother.

The guy is an absolute joke of a rapper in fact he is not even the best white emcee Non Phixion are amazing! and Ill Bill is the bst white rapper around.

Comment

And before you start to say I don't like so and so....I like Scarface, I like Wu Tang (though I feel they're overrated), I like Killah Priest, I like Big L and Big Pun....but they have never done or didn't do anything Em couldn't or didn't do himself.

Comment

Originally posted by piye View Post
        Eminem is Garbage full stop he makes trash msic that appeals to trailer park trash. and now we have all of these non rap fans calling him an ATG these people who have not listened to much rap at all and don't know the origins of hip hop outside of google.

The guy is a below average rapper and does not have a classic album. no one over the age of 25 from the hip hop era rates Eminem as anything more than a gimmick.
        Wow, you're so controversial.

Comment

You clearly have either not heard albums from the artists i Mentioned because if you have you would know they are superior.

Eminem makes music for teenage girls. Eminem has never released a classic he tries to make comedy type music but he is not funny. everything he evr released with D12 was god awful. He has tracks rapping about Mary Kae and Ashley? Seriously? My dad's gone crazy was god awful!

You are either under 25 or white and you only rate Eminem highly because you can relate to his absolute non sense about hating his mother.

The guy is an absolute joke of a rapper in fact he is not even the best white emcee Non Phixion are amazing! and Ill Bill is the bst white rapper around.
          You've proven yourself ignorant on many statements. If Em were a joke, you think he'd get 1/10 of the respect he does, from most black emcee's in the game??? No...

You don't like his music, and it's funny you act like he raps about those things only. I've listened to them and are fans. What the hell could Scarface do that Eminem couldn't??? That was probably the worst mention for a better lyricist. Lyricism is also about versatility, Eminem is about as versatile on the mic throughout his career as it gets.

Em would spit circles around Ill Bill, are you serious???

He has 2 deemed 100% classics, and another in the Rolling Stone 500 greatest albums of all time. If you can't see Eminem is as dope lyrically as they come, I don't know what to say. I guess Em was right on Till I Collapse. But you're entitled to your opinion.

By the way, I'm not white.

Comment

Eminem is not only the best but most consistent technical lyricist there ever was.

There have been rappers who were as good or better than Em, but they couldnt sustain that high level of lyricism over the span of a career.

For example, Ma$e in 1993 was above eminems level, insane flow patterns.

Comment

Disc 1 - My Name Is[2] (TRASH, enjoyed it when i was a kid)
              "My Name Is" (Slim Shady Radio Edit) - 5.16
              "My Name Is" (Explicit Version) - 4.37
              "My Name Is" (Instrumental) - 4.37
              Disc 2 - Guilty Conscience (featuring Dr. Dre) (Average track Redman has simmilar stuff)
              "Guilty Conscience" (Radio Version With Gunshots) - 3.22
              "Guilty Conscience" (Album Version) - 3.23
              "Guilty Conscience" (A Cappella) - 4.10
              "My Name Is" (Music Video) - 5.16
              Disc 3 - The Real Slim Shady (TRASH)
              "The Real Slim Shady" (Radio Edit) - 4.08
              "Bad Influence" - 3.03
              "The Real Slim Shady" (Instrumental) - 4.08
              "My Fault" (Pizza Mix) - 3.36
              "Just Don't Give A ****" (Music Video) - 4.03 (Good Song)
              Disc 4 - The Way I Amv(Trash)
              "The Way I Am" (Unedited Version) - 5.35
              "The Kids" (Unedited Version) - 5.52 (TRASH)
              "97' Bonnie & Clyde" - 4.26
              "Steve Berman" (Skit) - 1.28
              "The Way I Am" (Music Video) - 4.46
              Disc 5 - Stan (featuring Dido)(Classic track)
              "Stan" (Radio Edit) - 5.37
              "Guilty Conscience" (Radio Version with Gunshots) - 7.25
              "Hazardous Youth" (A Cappella) - 3.23(Trash)
              "Get You Mad" (featuring Sway, King, Tech & DJ Revolution) - 3.10 (TRASH)
              Disc 6 - Without Me(TRASH)
              "Without Me" 4.16
              "The Way I Am" (Danny Lohner Remix) (featuring Marilyn Manson) - 6.47
              "Without Me" (A Cappella) - 3.54
              "Without Me" (Instrumental) - 4.16
              Disc 7 - Cleanin' Out My Closet (TRASH)
              "Cleanin' Out My Closet" - 3.54
              "Stimulate" - 3.34
              "Cleanin' Out My Closet" (Instrumental) - 3.54
              "Cleanin' Out My Closet" (Music Video) - 3.54
              Disc 8 - Sing for the Moment (featuring Joe Perry) (TRASH)
              "Sing for the Moment" - 4.23
              "Rabbit Run" - 3.52(TRASH)
              "Sing for the Moment" (Instrumental) - 4.23
              "Sing for the Moment" (Music Video) - 4.23
              Disc 9 - Lose Yourself (AVERAGE)
              "Lose Yourself" - 4.26
              "Lose Yourself" (Instrumental) - 4.26
              "Renegade" (with Jay-Z) - 4.34 (Very Good)
              "Lose Yourself" (Music Video) - 4.26
              8 Mile (Trailer) - 2.27
              Disc 10 - Business
              "Business" 5.16
              "Bump Heads" (featuring G-Unit) - 4.36

Look at how many garbage songs this guy has released! GOAT? you mean you can relate to him so you overrate him.

Comment

LMAO 31 and you don't know **** about hip hop; Common lyrically ****s on Em, Big L lyrically ****s on Em, Big Pun Lyrically ****s on Em, Rakim Lyrically ****s on Em, Guru Lyrically ****s on Em, Nas Lyrically ****s on Em, Andr 3000 Lyrically ****s on Em, AZ Lyrically ****s on Em, The whole Wu Tang Lyurically **** on Em, Killah Preist Lyrically **** on Em, Ras Kass Lyrically ****s on Em, Scarface Lyrically ****s on Em, KRS 1 Lyrically ****s on Em.

Any one who puts Em as anything other than an average Emcee don't know **** about hip hop and is rating him that highly because he is white.

Before any one shouts racist it's what his fans like to throw around he only doesn't get credit because he is white when in fact the opposite is true!

Em does not have a classic album how can he be great?

He has released absolute garbage like blue and yellow purple hills? he is absolute trash.
                Again lol generalizing. Big L (as ill as I thought he was) didn't drop a classic album (Lifestyles of Poor and Dangerous or Big Picture aren't classic albums). If you don't like Em that's cool, you're not the only one. But you're generalizing based on what YOU think people think of Eminem when it couldn't be further from the truth. How does one think that everyone over 25 thinks Eminem is a gimmick. Who thinks that??? LOL

Comment

LMAO This guy mentioned MASE lmao

Scarface is several levels above Eminem

If you don't recognise the Fix and The Diary as better than anything Em has released you are no real hip ho fan.

The Red Album from non phixion and what's wrong with ill bill are better than anything Em has ever released.

Comment

I can name 50 albums better than anything Em has released how can this guy be considered a great?

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                      And before you start to say I don't like so and so....I like Scarface, I like Wu Tang (though I feel they're overrated), I like Killah Priest, I like Big L and Big Pun....but they have never done or didn't do anything Em couldn't or didn't do himself.

I'll openly say it coming from a mixed race family, the only reason Eminem get's all of this credit is because he is a white rapper.

If he was black he'd be looked upon as a fake Redman, the only difference is Redman is better.

Comment

Working...
                      X