Collapse
No announcement yet.

#1 ATG Genius in world History?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted for Newton, however I'd like to nominate Blaise Pascal. Inventor of the mechanical calculator, wrote a treatise on the subject of projective geometry at 16 and co pioneered probability theory with Fermat. A great writer, dabbled in philosophy and theology. Just an incredible polymath

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      If you're putting Gauss then I'm firing in James Clerk Maxwell.

He was kind of a big deal. It's unanimously agreed uniting forces is a hard thing to do.
      Its okay, barn, very few people are aware of their existence anyway. One thing for sure is that they are minds of the highest calibers with immesurable contributions to human knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
        I voted for Newton, however I'd like to nominate Blaise Pascal. Inventor of the mechanical calculator, wrote a treatise on the subject of projective geometry at 16 and co pioneered probability theory with Fermat. A great writer, dabbled in philosophy and theology. Just an incredible polymath
        Yeah Blaise Pascal who made unique contribution on the idea of conic sections when he was a teen ager. Rene Descartes couldn't believe that he was communicating with a teen ager during the time they were exchanging ideas through letters.

Comment

Toss up between Galileo and Isaac Newton

Comment

The op is a ****ing moron. Die in a fire, please.

Aristotle, for pretty much all of human knowledge and understanding until the enlightenment.

Socrates/Plato for starting philosophy, and mathematical realism, therefore leading to science as we know it.

Comment

einstein better start getting more votes.

- general relativity
              - special relativity
              - photoelectric effect
              - cosmological constant prediction
              - e=mc^2/e=hf
              - bose-einstein condensate
              - manhattan project

that resume is too good to be in third place by such a large margin.

call me crazy but i just don't think a lot of people get how good einstein was.

Comment

einstein better start getting more votes.

- general relativity
                - special relativity
                - photoelectric effect
                - cosmological constant prediction
                - e=mc^2/e=hf
                - bose-einstein condensate
                - manhattan project

that resume is too good to be in third place by such a large margin.

call me crazy but i just don't think a lot of people get how good einstein was.
                i've read somewhere that he discovered the theoretical foundation of the LASER...

and his prediction of gravitational waves could usher in a new age of astronomy...

the dude is freakin' awesome...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                  i've read somewhere that he discovered the theoretical foundation of the LASER...

and his prediction of gravitational waves could usher in a new age of astronomy...

the dude is freakin' awesome...
                  I heard of him predicting gravitational waves but never working on lasers, I'll look into it.

EDIT: I new the LASER was somewhat related to Einsteins work on the photoelectric effect however you're right, I didn't know that and if you gave me it in a true/false format I would have guessed false, thanks.

In 1917, Albert Einstein established the theoretical foundations for the laser and the maser in the paper Zur Quantentheorie der Strahlung (On the Quantum Theory of Radiation)
                  Last edited by Barn; 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I heard of him predicting gravitational waves but never working on lasers, I'll look into it.
                    :AOR: thank god for google...even Barnburner can look smart!

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                      :AOR: thank god for google...even Barnburner can look smart!
                      what are you talking about?

I clearly state that I am unaware of something so I will go and find it out. If I wanted to look smart I would have used Google to do some research and come back claiming I knew it all already. Where I use other sources I always put the text in a quote box to indicate it's not my knowledge.

This isn't a difficult concept to understand.

I know I called you ******ed in another thread but I didn't expect such a retaliation that would prove my point less than 10 minutes later.

Go back to calling Mikey Garcia a bum in NSB, don't bring your rubbish to a rational discussion, neither it or you belong there.
                      Last edited by Barn; 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X