Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me or.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

youre getting old. just like we no longer can relate to this modern technology/pop culture... we are getting old

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      Are singers, actors, and entertainers in general just so much worse than they were 30-40 years ago?

I find that singers were so much more talented back in the day, real iconic voices that weren't helped with computers to "clean up" their voices.

Actors back in the day could do it all, be funny, drama, you name it. Now it seems it's more about what you look like.

It could be I'm getting older but I find a lot of artists of today, not to be real artists at all.
      yes and no.

for huge pop stars like bieber and spears sure. they are basically corporate creations who dont write their own **** and dont play any musical intruments. but there are great musical talents that dont get the pop star pub.

I think a lot of it has to do with shows like american idol and now this xfactor bullcrap.

You usually had to work for your fame because you have talent or a distinct natural powerful voice. What shows like idol do is circumvent the actual work it takes to be become a real musician.

Instead of putting in work and building and practicing your craft as a musician, they get a shortcut by winning a glorified karaoke session.

Movie wise, i completely disagree. Websites like rotten tomatoes and other movie critic sites along with face book, utube twittter, word of mouth can make or break a movie. I think with the advent of social media/internet movies have gotten better. They are held to a higher standard.

With technology available they can basically do anything on film.

Sure the gorgeous specimen with no talent still make it but actors and film makers still go to film school and acting school. They still have to put work in. If you cant act, you cant act. Just ask robert pattinson who sucks and will only be relevant with that twilight bullcrap.

& finally yes age can blunt/ warp your thinking. As you grow older you accept less change and become more close minded. Being cool & what you perceive as cool has an expiration date.

Its the natural order of things. That's why new slang/lingo comes out each year. For a new generation.

You dont expect to think you know what's cool or not cool when you're in your 60s do you?

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
        yes and no.

for huge pop stars like bieber and spears sure. they are basically corporate creations who dont write their own **** and dont play any musical intruments. but there are great musical talents that dont get the pop star pub.

I think a lot of it has to do with shows like american idol and now this xfactor bullcrap.

You usually had to work for your fame because you have talent or a distinct natural powerful voice. What shows like idol do is circumvent the actual work it takes to be become a real musician.

Instead of putting in work and building and practicing your craft as a musician, they get a shortcut by winning a glorified karaoke session.

Movie wise, i completely disagree. Websites like rotten tomatoes and other movie critic sites along with face book, utube twittter, word of mouth can make or break a movie. I think with the advent of social media/internet movies have gotten better. They are held to a higher standard.

With technology available they can basically do anything on film.

Sure the gorgeous specimen with no talent still make it but actors and film makers still go to film school and acting school. They still have to put work in. If you cant act, you cant act. Just ask robert pattinson who sucks and will only be relevant with that twilight bullcrap.

& finally yes age can blunt/ warp your thinking. As you grow older you accept less change and become more close minded. Being cool & what you perceive as cool has an expiration date.

Its the natural order of things. That's why new slang/lingo comes out each year. For a new generation.

You dont expect to think you know what's cool or not cool when you're in your 60s do you?

you actually value that?

is that what you watch a movie for?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          you actually value that?

is that what you watch a movie for?
          one of the things.

what do you watch movies for?

to learn? or to be entertained?

you think if gone with the wind came out today it would be a blockbuster?

timing is everything.

not everything back then was great and today is not as bad as people think.

Comment

The same thing can be said for youth. If you are immersed in a lower or superficial standard of art and creativity from the time you are a child, it is what you are familiar with, what feels right. That stuff they made years ago with the higher quality acting and the subpar special effects just doesn't do it for you. For example it doesn't even occur to some within this age group, who are a product of the era of movie remakes, that originality in a movie premise is even an important attribute. Movie are increasingly about little more than cosmetics.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
              The exact same thing can be said for youth. If you are immersed in a lower or superficial standard of art and creativity from the time you are a child it is what you are familiar with, what feels right. That stuff with the quality acting and the subpar special effects just doesn't do it for you. For example it doesn't even occur to some within this age group, who are a product of the era of movie remakes, that originality in a movie premise is even an important attribute. Movie are increasingly about little more than cosmetics.
              art and creativity is subjective and does not fit into any box. art and creativity is beauty in the eye of the looker and creator.

you dont know anything about me or how old i am. assumptions is the mother of all **** ups.

movies will always be about cosmetics and beauty. that will never change.
              Last edited by The Tase; 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM.

Comment

i may be getting old... but the advertising slogan of levi's has never been more appropriate than now with regards to my tastes for the arts...

"quality never goes out of style..."

thats why:

films like vertigo and citizen kane seem to have a really tight grip at the top of the GOAT movie lists... (am i wrong to assume that the critics who vote are younger than the aforementioned movies?)

just take a look at the ATG actors thread here i the lounge... those lists are being dominated by the oldies like nicholson and pacino... some lists even include jimmy stewart and charlton heston... for me i'll take walter matthau anytime over any present day comedian...

black sabbath, bob marley, the beatles...

master of puppets, paranoid, reign in blood...

its not necessarily tastes are getting old...

Comment

I noticed in music these days appearance and looks usually outweighs true talent especially in the televison world. Perhaps we can blame Disney and reality talent shows for this.

Comment

one of the things.

what do you watch movies for?

to learn? or to be entertained?

you think if gone with the wind came out today it would be a blockbuster?

timing is everything.

not everything back then was great and today is not as bad as people think.

on some level the main theme is entertainment, but when i watch a movie i'm looking for something compelling, and characters and themes that i can understand.

Comment

art and creativity is subjective and does not fit into any box. art and creativity is beauty in the eye of the looker and creator.

you dont know anything about me or how old i am. assumptions is the mother of all **** ups.

movies will always be about cosmetics and beauty. that will never change.
                      Art is subjective. The platform of skill necessary for the creation of good art is not. That phrase is ridiculously missused.

Whether something is completely recycled and therefore unimaginative is also not subjective.

Also, beauty and cosmetics are not the same. Cosmetics is about superficial matters of beauty, Aesthetics is about deep matters of beauty.

And uhh.... I don't recall saying anything about you personally in my last post.
                      Last edited by res; 11-20-2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X