No announcement yet.

Is it me or.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    i'm sorry but most of those people are awful and absolutely no better than whatever shit tops the charts these days.
    I was going to give you props until you said Prince and Stevie Wonder was no better than what is going on nowadays...

That was the worst **** said in this place in a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      Naw man, there was less freedom back then because most of the artist belonged to major labels because that's all that was around. They paid for your studio time, press costs and everything in between. Then you had no control of the music you helped make.

It's the reason that artists like Prince created their own label.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_...974.E2.80.9380

Wikipedia says differently...

With the help of Husney, Prince signed a recording contract with Warner Bros.. Warner Bros. agreed to give Prince creative control for three albums and ownership of the publishing rights.[citation needed] Husney and Prince then left Minneapolis and moved to Sausalito, California where Prince's first album, For You, was recorded at Record Plant Studios. Subsequently, the album was mixed in Los Angeles and released in on April 7, 1978.[22] According to the For You album notes, Prince produced, arranged, composed and played all 27 instruments on the recording. The album was written and performed by Prince, except for the song "Soft and Wet" which had lyrics co-written by Moon.

Comment

damn I'm only in my late 30's...it's not like I'm 80.

I also am feelin that new Kendrick Lamar album. Think it's one of the best albums if not the best album of the year.

Fuk it I'm getting old.
        Nah, It's just that the modern era's youth obsession (complete with 13 year olds acting like their 25 year olds) is distorting everyone's concept of age. Do you remember back in the 80's when this guy was in his mid 40's and was the biggest male sex symbol in the country?

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
          lol Prince has always done whatever he wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
            Nah, It's just that the modern era's youth obsession (complete with 13 year olds acting like their 25 year olds) is distorting everyone's concept of age. Do you remember when this guy was in his mid 40's and was the biggest male sex symbol in the country?

He was such a dream boat....

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              i'm sorry but most of those people are awful and absolutely no better than whatever shit tops the charts these days.
              Right, but I was looking for an opinion that is not disconnected from the rest of the human race.

You are free to believe that Bieber Rihanna and Perry are no better than Springsteen, Prince and Labelle if you want.
              Last edited by res; 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Link to a scientific study on whether music has gotten worse over the years

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-gotten-worse/

Comment

Right, but I was looking for an opinion that is not disconnected from the rest of the human race.

You are free to believe that Bieber Rihanna and Perry are no better than Springsteen, Prince and Labelle if you want.
                  pop music is pop music is pop music.

Comment

[/B]

Well let's do it like this, I'll name some of the top artists in the 80's and you give me a list of modern artists that you think are comparable.

Stevie Wonder, Prince, Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen, Pattie Labelle, Luther Vandross, Guns and Roses, Van Halen, AC/DC, Michael Jackson, Duran Duran

I agree that in each era the number of "great" artists is limited, but one of the differences today is that artists can get their foot in the door that aren't even "good". Also, overall the number of great artists is decreasing. The only way we are going to come up with a significant level of great artists today is to change the standard of greatness. Madonna set the trend for the "style over substance" thing back in the 1980's, and I see her as the mother of the modern era. But just listen to the voices of the other female artist that surrounded her at the time, women like Laura Branigan, Pat Benatar, Bonnie Tyler, heck even Cyndi Lauper (listen to her song "I'm gonna Be Strong" if her eccentric style always distracted you from the fact that she was really a good singer).
                    Half the artists you're listing as eighties greats are not even from the eighties.

Stevie Wonder wrote all his best songs in the 70s. AC/DC gained fame in the 70's. Tina Turner first made her mark on the music biz in the 60s. Bruce Springsteen started making his mark in the 70s. Michael Jackson has been big since the 60s...

The majority of your list these great artists are great because they have had a big impact on music and managed to sustain their greatness through the ages.

Comment

Are singers, actors, and entertainers in general just so much worse than they were 30-40 years ago?

I find that singers were so much more talented back in the day, real iconic voices that weren't helped with computers to "clean up" their voices.

Actors back in the day could do it all, be funny, drama, you name it. Now it seems it's more about what you look like.

It could be I'm getting older but I find a lot of artists of today, not to be real artists at all.
                      No, there are still wonderful musicians around. You just have to look for them a lot harder than before. Whether there is talent, in popular culture with the record companies in charge, is another question. It is a business first and an art form last. Like I said, talent will always exist, you just have to know where to look for it. I like going to this little jazz club in Studio City to watch wonderful musicians play their music.

Comment

Working...
                      X