No announcement yet.

Nasa Mars rover makes detailed crater image

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
    What's really interesting is thinking how many other civilizations have landed on our planet that we don't know about..

Or do we?

Comment

He's looking more other-worldly with each subsequent picture.

Comment

Comment

The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.

The spice must flow!

- You mean of course Duke Leto, his father?
          - No. I mean Paul Atreides. We want him killed. I did not say this. I am not here.
          - I understand

Never a drop of rain on Arakis

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
            It would only take that long if you travel in a linear mode, which is what we're capable of.
            Yeah I believe Eintstein talked about the Universe sort of folding in upon itself. Like if you travel in one direction long enough, eventually you'll end up back where you started. Which to me seems to implicate the possibility of some sort of shortcut to traveling great distances.

Some may be, some may not be.
            Given a large number of other worlds with conditions that would support life, I think it's certainly plausible that some produced life millions, if not billions of years before this one did. Assuming we don't destroy ourselves by then, I can't even imagine how advanced we'll be a million years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
              Yeah I believe Eintstein talked about the Universe sort of folding in upon itself. Like if you travel in one direction long enough, eventually you'll end up back where you started. Which to me seems to implicate the possibility of some sort of shortcut to traveling great distances.

Given a large number of other worlds with conditions that would support life, I think it's certainly plausible that some produced life millions, if not billions of years before this one did. Assuming we don't destroy ourselves by then, I can't even imagine how advanced we'll be a million years from now.
              Look at our advancement in just 1,000 years... forget a million.

The year 1012 compared to 2012?

It's a completely different world.

Even the last 100 years.

A civilization doesnt even need to be a 1,000,000 years older than us to figure how to manipulate space and gravity... just 10,000 years older would be unbelievably more advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by OlympicGlory View Post
                I didn't try to say it was me. I copied it just to show you the point, which still stands. I should have linked the site I guess.

I only wrote the top part. My knowledge is not too good on it and thus copied it to just show whoever.
                Damn man, and here I thought you were a scientist or something lol

Comment

I think it's a waste of time and money. OK so they may find signs of water and life could have lived on there, then what?
                  Are you serious? It's not a waste of money one bit. Waste of money is giving welfare to people in our country that don't really need it as well as money to countries like North Korea.

When our world is depleted of resources you better believe we're going to be getting a lot from space after.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                    Proxima Centauri, Wolf 359 and Barnard's star are red dwarves and flare stars, there could be no life-sustaining planets orbiting them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flare_stars

Alpha Centauri is a double with two stars (A and B) that have a close and erratic orbit, I can't imagine any life-sustaining planets there.

Sirius is a class A star with a shorter "life" than the sun and has a companion white dwarf that expanded into a red giant at one time, so no life-sustaining planets there.

The nearest star that realistically could have life-sustaining planets is about 20 light years away. It has at least 3 planets, but lower metallicity than the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/82_Eridani

But farther out, there's even better places to search. Here's a stable G star like the sun at 50 light years that has had a planet detected, 51 Pegasi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/51_Pegasi

something to shoot for.

where is jodi foster when you need her?

Comment

How will we make the atmosphere suitable for us?

Trust me we can't live there. Building a Space Ship on Earth is one thing, but living on a planet is another.

I know the Moon has 30 minute Earth Quakes because of no water to dissipate them. I am not sure on Mars but again it would be crazy long if it did have them.

Can we live on Mars?

Mars is not as close to Earth as Venus is, but it probably is the only planet in our solar system that we can colonize. But living there won’t be simple.
                      Mars is poorly suited for human habitation. There’s some ice at the poles and perhaps some water in underground repositories. Gravity is only 38 percent as strong as on Earth. The atmosphere is thin and consists mostly of carbon dioxide (95%). So colonists would have to either take air from Earth or make air on Mars. Plants efficiently separate the oxygen bound to carbon and therefore can make air we can breathe, so colonists should take plants along.

The Martian atmosphere is too thin to hold oxygen, which would just escape to space. So the plants would have to be cultivated in greenhouses and the oxygen they produce kept in flasks.

Mars has a very weak magnetic field, and its atmosphere offers little protection against radiation from space. So the Martian colonists would have to build radiation protection into their houses and wear thick suits. Unlike Earth, where most incoming meteorites burn up in the atmosphere, many meteorites crash dangerously onto the surface of Mars.

The Martian weather is awful. It’s cold: the average temperature of the southern hemisphere is minus 60 degrees Celsius; even at the equator, it’s seldom over zero. Winds are fierce and blow at speeds of several hundred kilometres an hour, and storms can last for months. The wind whirls up fine dust that penetrates everything and sticks to all surfaces, which literally would toss sand in the gears of vital mechanical and electronic equipment.

Today, there are no concrete, approved plans for sending people to Mars. The earliest date mentioned in official papers is 2019, which would be 50 years after the first Moon landing.
                      Well we could terraform the planet which would take over a hundred years. The carbon dioxide and other stuff released from the power plants and all that here on earth would actually be helpful in Mars. I actually read and saw this on the Nasa channel. One of the problems would be ethical considering how we are destroying this planet and we might do that to Mars once it's terraformed.

Oh and just for a human to get to Mars would be a miracle. You would be **** scared of radiation as you fly over there. It is so much harder than getting to the moon.
                      Actually it takes around 6 months at a certain time of the year when Mars rotates closer to earth. I read somewhere in the 2030s there is a planned manned mission to Mars.
                      Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 08-14-2012, 05:56 PM. Reason: Meant Power plants and not the actual plants.

Comment

Working...
                      X