Collapse
No announcement yet.

any shark experience?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My family use to own a restaurant and night club in Narragansett RI. Right across the street was Scarborough beach and I had swam there my entire life. Around 1997 a 14 foot great white was caught on video by a boat just 50 yards off shore. I haven't been back in the ocean since. Turns out one of the largest great white mating grounds is between Block Island (about 8 miles off the RI coast) and Point Judith (a fishing port in Narragansett). I had no fear as a kid, but when it comes to going in the water I'll stick with lakes and swimming pools from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by messenger View Post
      I seen this guy yelling at some kids on their sail boat in the cove and suddenly a shark knocked over their boats. The guy lost his leg to the shark but the kid from the sail boat survived with just a case of shock.
      thats jaws type o **** right there

Originally posted by johncods View Post
      I have, started my phobia of sharks lol. So was with at grandmas place, in a very small town beside the sea. When we visit we would go swimming all day because the water was just a couple of steps from her house. Very nice water, you could see all the corals and **** while looking down on the water, I guess because it was far away from pollution and ****.

So anyway one day me, my bros, cousins went swimming right. 30 or something feet away from the shore there is this log big enough for someone to stand on sticking out of the water. People put it their to use as a diving platform lol i know so ghetto. So we would all take turns swim to the log to jump off of it until we get tired. After getting tired of all the swimming most of us just chill at the shore and some still swimming to the log.

So as we were just chillin on the shore my cousin was standing on the log and all of a sudden everyone just started screaming and I look to the water and first thought someone was drowning but instead I saw this huge fin come out of the water parallel to the shore, about 20 feet from the log and my cousin and heading towards him. It was huge I honestly think it was a great white. So my cousin sees it jumps off the log and swims like crazy. Everyone was ****ting their pants. My cousin makes it to the shore and the shark swims past the log. The ****er was hungry.

That traumatized me for quite a while about swimming in the ocean. What's funny is I thought it was a dream so I ask my bros if they saw it and if this actually happened and they said yes. After that nobody was swimming to the log no more, everyone just stayed close to shore lol. Crazy ****.
      that is crazy...**** i would've prolly just stayed on that log unitl a helicopter rescues me or some ****..
      Last edited by danceswithfire; 07-18-2012, 03:44 AM.

Comment

I lived on Kauai for 4 years. I used to see tiger sharks and reef sharks all the time. Don't swim at night or anywhere the water isn't clear and really your chances of being attacked are hugely decreased. I'm more scared of jellyfish and stingrays than sharks. Those ****ers are everywhere and people get stung by them everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          My family use to own a restaurant and night club in Narragansett RI. Right across the street was Scarborough beach and I had swam there my entire life. Around 1997 a 14 foot great white was caught on video by a boat just 50 yards off shore. I haven't been back in the ocean since. Turns out one of the largest great white mating grounds is between Block Island (about 8 miles off the RI coast) and Point Judith (a fishing port in Narragansett). I had no fear as a kid, but when it comes to going in the water I'll stick with lakes and swimming pools from now on.
          i dont blame you..great white's mating ground? **** that.. the pool is a great idea lol

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
            I lived on Kauai for 4 years. I used to see tiger sharks and reef sharks all the time. Don't swim at night or anywhere the water isn't clear and really your chances of being attacked are hugely decreased. I'm more scared of jellyfish and stingrays than sharks. Those ****ers are everywhere and people get stung by them everyday.
            ****, ive been stung by a jellyfish once and gone to the jospital for it ...but the truth is , antihistamine is all it takes to cure a jellyfish sting ..no big deal if you have the cure at hand..

getting bitten by a shark? thats serious **** right there

Comment

I was swimming in the ocean about 60 metres out in Tarragona, Spain in the early 2000's. Was not afraid of the ocean back then, but I got a strange feeling like being isolated and decided to paddle back in.

Later that day all the tourists were talking about a 20ft Great White that had been spotted in the Ocean nearby.

Hardly ever go in the Ocean anymore. It's not our domain.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
                I was swimming in the ocean about 60 metres out in Tarragona, Spain in the early 2000's. Was not afraid of the ocean back then, but I got a strange feeling like being isolated and decided to paddle back in.

Later that day all the tourists were talking about a 20ft Great White that had been spotted in the Ocean nearby.

Hardly ever go in the Ocean anymore. It's not our domain.
                20 ft? damn , i dont evn think that shark we saw was more than 6 feet long or a great white let alone a 20 footer great white....you did the right thing

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
                  20 ft? damn , i dont evn think that shark we saw was more than 6 feet long or a great white let alone a 20 footer great white....you did the right thing
                  Great Whites in the med grow to huge sizes simply because of the lack of competition and the abundance of food. Still 20ft probably meant 15ft. People love to exaggerate these things. Wouldn't want to be in the ocean with any size of shark though. Even a bite from a little one could cause you to bleed to death.

Comment

Originally posted by Panginoon View Post
                    I think it was those white/black tipped fin sharks or w/e they are called, they are known to swim close to shore.
                    whatever it was, it was shark that scraed the sht out of us...i changed my opinion about shwimming in beach tho...3 feet is the deepest id go from then on...

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
                      Great Whites in the med grow to huge sizes simply because of the lack of competition and the abundance of food. Still 20ft probably meant 15ft. People love to exaggerate these things. Wouldn't want to be in the ocean with any size of shark though. Even a bite from a little one could cause you to bleed to death.
                      yup, the closest ive come near a shark prior to this experince was at an aquaruim which only has about 4 feet sharks as it biggest....im pretty sure the sharks i saw in the beach were bigger...
                      Last edited by danceswithfire; 09-15-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X