Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Chicano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you feel about Obama appointee and current Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren claiming Native American throughout her life on college and job applications only to find out that she's a full 1/32, which is to say her great great great grand grandmother was listed as Cherokee?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
      How do you feel about Obama appointee and current Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren claiming Native American throughout her life on college and job applications only to find out that she's a full 1/32, which is to say her great great great grand grandmother was listed as Cherokee?
      If she did it on purpose, then it's not ethical of course. If she thought she was indian because most Americans claim to half Cherokee or half Navahoe, is something different.

Most white Americans are of English decent, yet they claim Native Indian or German, Irish...ANYTHING but English.

I think it's a cultural lie that Anglo's in this country have been telling themselves for a very long time.

A very tiny percentage of white Americans have any Native blood in them.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ukr_Alex;12104254]
        Do Mexicans realize that their food is really not that spicy? Or is gringo food so bland that in the US context its actually spicy?

I say this because when I went to visit my friend near Toluca ( in a small town) everybody looked at me like I was nuts for putting way too much chili peppers and juice in my tacos.

Brown food like Sri Lankan, Indian...is way spicier than Mexican food.
        Mexico is a huge country and not everyone cooks the same. Not all Mexican food is spicy, most is but the hottest pepper we have is Habanero and it's really hot. I will agree, Indian and Sri Lankan food is hotter no doubt but that doesn't mean Mexican food isn't. I mean there's only so much the human body can take and Habanero will put a fire in your ass I don't care where you are from.

-----------

Where does the Macho stereotype come from?

I found Mexicans to be very nice and humble people, and light drinkers.

Having traveled, there are a lot more people out there who embody that male chauvinist image....(not saying its good)
        I think it comes from our history. Mexico has a very bloody and violent past, even more so than the average country with a violent past. Mexicans have always been warriors, since the days of the Aztecs and fighters in the revolution and wild west. The attitude of "never give up" is driven into your head since your a child and even the games we play are rough, painful and it's just part of who we are. My mother used to always tell me "aguantate" which means, "just deal with it".

---------

Who invented the buritto? No one knew WTF I was talking about when I said buritto. I guess its more common in the north?
        American invention, just like the hard shell taco. It's more Tex-Mex, or Mexican American food. Love a good burrito though cant lie.

---------
        Why do Mexicans love aeropostale so much? Everyone had a shirt...
        Have no idea

P.S. Cant wait to go back....my Ukrainian self has a lot more in common with the common Mexican than the common gringo.
        Non American usually do, I'm glad you enjoyed Mexico I would love to visit Ukraine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          If she did it on purpose, then it's not ethical of course. If she thought she was indian because most Americans claim to half Cherokee or half Navahoe, is something different.
          Priceless. Thanks, I could use the laugh

Most white Americans are of English decent, yet they claim Native Indian or German, Irish...ANYTHING but English.
          Actually, more Americans are of German and Irish descent than English. Glad I could be of help.

http://names.mongabay.com/ancestry/a...opulation.html

I think it's a cultural lie that Anglo's in this country have been telling themselves for a very long time.
          Says the guy claiming his mom is pure native, but doesn't know what tribe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukr_Alex View Post

Who invented the buritto? No one knew WTF I was talking about when I said buritto. I guess its more common in the north?

Burritos date back to the times when anybody could get a flour tortilla and wrap it around some food. My grandma was from Cd Juarez Chihuahua and claims that that's where the burrito became popular, same story I've heard from other people.
            Take it for what its worth..

Comment

I would love to visit Ukraine.
              If you ever do, go West, than Odessa and than Kyiv (center). Do not go East...rough, tough, old commie blocks, toothless coal miners and alcoholics.

As much as I love my country, not much to see there...blame 80 years of communism from ****ing up the land...It has a long way to go...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                Priceless. Thanks, I could use the laugh

Actually, more Americans are of German and Irish descent than English. Glad I could be of help.

http://names.mongabay.com/ancestry/a...opulation.html

Says the guy claiming his mom is pure native, but doesn't know what tribe.
                You need a hug today Jeffries?

OK, she did it on purpose and is an evil liberal trying to destroy America...

Does that make you feel better?

I watched "Finding your roots" on PBS and the host said that most white Americans come from England, so if that info is wrong then you might want to call them.

In Mexico it's very hard to know exactly what tribe you come from because our history was destroyed by the Spaniards. Unless you still reside with that tribe or have direct links to it, you can come from many different blood lines.

There were a lot of people enslaved and killed off or mixed with even other tribes so it's hard to tell. I could have named some random tribe but instead I told the truth and yes, my mother's side is 100% native Mexican Indian I know this because not only their appearance but because of my grandfather on my mother's side which was a very prominent man in the Mexican govts in the early 1900's and we know his history well.

Comment

Go ahead let me have it. Let's keep the racism to a minimum please.
                  Why do you get to call yourself a "Chicano"?????

Comment

Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
                    Why do you get to call yourself a "Chicano"?????
                    Because I was born in the U.S. So if I call myself Mexican, it would be because of blood and not nationality. I'm also not viewed as full American by most racist pricks, so I chose Chicano.....Brown Pride

Comment

You need a hug today Jeffries?

OK, she did it on purpose and is an evil liberal trying to destroy America...

Does that make you feel better?

I watched "Finding your roots" on PBS and the host said that most white Americans come from England, so if that info is wrong then you might want to call them.

In Mexico it's very hard to know exactly what tribe you come from because our history was destroyed by the Spaniards. Unless you still reside with that tribe or have direct links to it, you can come from many different blood lines.

There were a lot of people enslaved and killed off or mixed with even other tribes so it's hard to tell. I could have named some random tribe but instead I told the truth and yes, my mother's side is 100% native Mexican Indian I know this because not only their appearance but because of my grandfather on my mother's side which was a very prominent man in the Mexican govts in the early 1900's and we know his history well.
                      You're the dude who said there's nothing that pisses him off more than a White guy claiming that he's 1/8 Cherokee (even if he is,) because he knows absolutely zilch about the culture of that heritage. But somehow couldn't care less that someone has been falsely claiming to be Native American on college entrance and job applications (just because they happen to be a Democrat.) And it turns out you have zero knowledge of the culture of the heritage that you're claiming.

Comment

Working...
                      X