Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REQ: The Promise - HBO Documentary!!!! THE MAKING OF DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the meantime, permit me to share a favorite,

Comment

And another BIIIIIIIIIIIIG favorite,

"Well, a luxury liner, 40 tons of steel, if I don't find my baby now then I guess I never will..."

Comment

^^^^^ First 2 tracks from Sacred Hearts and Fallen Angels: The Gram Parsons Anthology.

I was reading up on Wild Horses and there seems to be some confusion as to the contribution of Parsons in the writing of the song.

The song's credited to Jagger/Richards but I read a quote from Richard's claiming the melody was created when he and Gram were just playing around.

Thought that was interesting.

Also, Parsons version of Wild Horses was released a full year before the Stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
          ^^^^^ First 2 tracks from Sacred Hearts and Fallen Angels: The Gram Parsons Anthology.

I was reading up on Wild Horses and there seems to be some confusion as to the contribution of Parsons in the writing of the song.

The song's credited to Jagger/Richards but I read a quote from Richard's claiming the melody was created when he and Gram were just playing around.

Also, Parsons version of Wild Horses was released a full year before the Stones.

per wiki wild horses was recorded by the stones in 1969 but due to legal stuff stick fingers didnt come out for a while after. during this time parsons being a friend with the stones got a hold of a pre release of sticky fingers and decided to cover wild horses.

though the whole getting ahold of the pre-release isnt cited by wiki so the whole jamming with keith is possible too.

and i did a look but couldnt find it any where either....found darkness on the edge of town....but no the making of.
          Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-19-2010, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Yeah, man...those two spent a lot of time just jamming together and messing with musical feels. Who knows what Stones material came out of just Gram's presence around the group. I know that Gram had direct input on the arrangement of 'Country Honk', out of which came 'Honky Tonk Women' (later covered by the Burritos).

You know, I have that 'Sacred Hearts...' set, but I got it just for completism, never actually listened 'cause I had the material already. Is 'Zah's Blues' on there? Or does it just start with the ISB stuff (honestly can't remember off the top of my head)?

Another fav (poor quality, there's a better live recording on 'Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels Live 1973'),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9_k1ypXStQ

"Well, he's got him a house on the hill
            He plays country music, 'til you've had your fill
            He's a fireman's friend, he's an all-night DJ
            But he sure don't think much of the records he plays

He's a drug store truck driving man
            He's the head of the Ku Klux Klan
            When Summer rolls around, he'll be lucky if he's not in town

Well, he don't like the young folks, I know
            'Cause he told me one night on his radio show
            He's got him a medal he won in the war
            It weighs five-hundred pounds and it sleeps on his floor

When Summer rolls around, he'll be lucky if he's not in town

Well, he's been like a father to me
            He's the only DJ you can hear after three
            I'm an all-night musician in a rock 'n' roll band
            And why he don't like me, I can't understand

When Summer rolls around, he'll be lucky if he's not in town..."

^^ Isn't that a beauty?

The Byrds did a version after Gram left the group, too (he and Rog McGuinn wrote the song together).

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
              per wiki wild horses was recorded by the stones in 1969 but due to legal stuff stick fingers didnt come out for a while after. during this time parsons being a friend with the stones got a hold of a pre release of sticky fingers and decided to cover wild horses.

though the whole getting ahold of the pre-release isnt cited by wiki so the whole jamming with keith is possible too.

and i did a look but couldnt find it any where either....found darkness on the edge of town....but no the making of.
              I've read a bunch of Parsons and Stones biogs and there's a few different stories about the relation of 'Wild Horses' to Gram, hard to say exactly which is most reliable.

Comment

Gram teaches Buffy how to sing her own song,

If you ever once knew someone who was hooked on codine, you'll know the pain,

That 'Lost Recordings...' is an amazing set, BTW. I remember well the hype feeling I had when Sundazed put that baby out a decade or so back.

Comment

Zah's Blues is not on either of the 2 discs, but there is a Live Version of Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man about 4.39 min long.

Haven't heard it yet.

Just have Hickory Wind on loop. Sounding better each time I hear it.

Comment

The Byrds did a version after Gram left the group, too (he and Rog McGuinn wrote the song together).

From the beginning of the live version I have;

Gram - "This is an old song I did with the Byrds when I was in fear of getting my life taken away from me."

Comment

Zah's Blues is not on either of the 2 discs, but there is a Live Version of Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man about 4.39 min long.

Haven't heard it yet.

Just have Hickory Wind on loop. Sounding better each time I hear it.
                      The bold, that'll be the one from '...Live 1973' I was referring to.

'Zah's Blues' dates from Gram's days with his folk group, The Shilohs...it's on a great comp that came out on the Australian label Raven, funnily enough (I imported that when I was a teen, really sought after item at the time).

This one (it's where I first heard some ISB stuff back when 'Safe At Home' was out of print),

^^ I still love that comp to death. Much love to Raven.

I knew 'Hickory Wind' would set in. And when it does it never leaves you. Just keeps calling you home...

(the slow version on 'Grievous Angel' is devastating, too)

Comment

Working...
                      X