Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rocco1252 View Post
    "Attack the Block"

A teen gang in South London defend their block from an alien invasion.

[img][/img]

Really great movie. I think this movie is going to be a future classic. Its got action, it's got comedy, it's got a story, the CGI is done well. This movie is a must watch and even a buy for future watches.

Rocco Rating 9 out of 10
    Thought it was fun and the actor who played Moses was really charismatic, like a 15-year-old Denzel Washington portraying 50 Cent. The British accents are kinda thick tho (no disrespect). The only thing was some of the characters were kinda annoying to me, like some of the kid's friends who couldn't stop talking and that dumb drug dealer. It was a weird mix of corny and hardcore violence at times. But, still, the creatures looked bad ass and the pace was good. Definitley worth watching. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

• Originally posted by rocco1252 View Post
      "Contagion"

Soon after her return from a business trip to Hong Kong, Beth Emhoff dies from what is a flu or some other type of infection. Her young son dies later the same day. Her husband Mitch however seems immune. Thus begins the spread of a deadly infection. For doctors and administrators at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, several days pass before anyone realizes the extent or gravity of this new infection. They must first identify the type of virus in question and then find a means of combating it, a process that will likely take several months. As the contagion spreads to millions of people worldwide, societal order begins to break down as people panic.
      [/img]
      [img]

Thought this movie was very well made, it followed a good time line, had great character development and kept your attention. In the end you want to ask yourself is this really true or totally far-fetched? You decide..

Rocco Rating 7.5 out of 10
      Agree, it's about a 7.5. I liked this movie. Some friends who saw it didn't like the ending, but I liked it. Just wish the movie could have been a bit darker in tone. It was kinda white-washed a little bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by titanium View Post
        Hanna - Interesting movie.

8 out of ten
        I really enjoyed this movie from start to finish. There really wasn't any part where it got boring, IMO. That girl Hanna is pretty bad ass. Good action flick.

Comment

• Ghost World (2001)

This weekend I rewatched these two movies based on graphic novels. I hadn't seen them since they first came out. Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson (can you say, delicous ****?) are fresh out of high school and trying to figure out their lives as adults. A lot of the humor is dead pan, but there's also a lot of funny ass visual comedy going on in the background, with a lot of weird characters popping in and out. Steve Buscemi is a loser type who gets involved with Thora's character. It's kinda like the "real" version of Napoleon Dynamite (a lot meaner), except with young chicks. This movie is kinda arty, so it might not be for everyone, but I was entertained with the dialog and the chicks, of course.

American Splendor (2003)

This stars Paul Giamatti as the real life underground comic book writer Harvey Pekar, a grumpy son of a bitch who is mad at the world. He works a boring desk job as a hospital clerk, but eventually with help from his buddy Robert Crumb becomes a cult celeb who appears on Late Night With David Letterman. The directors do a cool job of breaking the fourth wall and showing the real life Harvey Pekar, the comic book version(s) (there always different artists who drew Harvey throughout the years) and Paul's version. This movie about nerds has got a lot of style.

Comment

• cant wait till American reunion

Comment

• Originally posted by *OG Wenger* View Post
              So War Horse is worth watching than? I have had it for a while and just not got round to watching it.
              It's a great movie.

Comment

• I saw something that made me laugh last night called...although it's not a comedy.

Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure...you can find it online

Comment

• Game Change (made for HBO movie) - based on the novel about the 2008 election; the movie focused only on the McCain campaign, in particular, Sarah Palin. . . 5/10.

First off, for those of you who know my psots fairly well, you'll know if I had to consider myself partisan, I'd be a democrat. .

This movie was cliched, hackneyed, and about 2-3 years too late. . . Yeah, it's funny to reflect on how unfit for office Palin was, and that she could have became "one 72 year old heartbeat away from being President," but the movie was just so lame. . It tried TOO HARD. . . Im sure Palin has some redeeming qualities, but the movie gave her none. . . It made McCain look like a bloody saint, though. . .

You could tell it was from the point of view from the Republican campaign advisors, who are obviously trying to save face by making such a horrible decision, and running a campaign that will forever be remembered as a joke. . . They tried too hard to make themselves come off as intelligent, and noble. . .

The actors do a GREAT job of portraying their real-life counterparts, but that's about it. . . Worth a watch if you're bored and nothing else is on.

Comment

• "The Ides of March"

Stephen Meyers is an idealist who's brilliant at communications, is second in command of Governor Mike Morris's presidential campaign, and is a true believer. In the middle of the Ohio primary, the campaign manager of Morris's opponent asks Meyers to meet; he offers him a job. At the same time, Morris's negotiations for the endorsement of the man in third place, a North Carolina Senator, hit a snag. A young campaign intern, Molly Stearns, gets Stephen's romantic attention. Republicans have a trick up their sleeve; Stephen may be too trusting, and Molly has a secret. What's most important, career, victory, or virtue?

[img][/img]

So for a political movie it wasnt to bad. More than anything it speaks alot of truth about politicians and how the government really works. Alot of hiding the truth, stretching the truth, lying and cheating. This movie had a great cast, a few names to mention were George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Paul Giomatti, Phillip Seymore Hoffman to name a few. This movie was not action based, and at times somewhat slow but overall it was an ok watch.

Rocco Rating 6.5 out of 10

Comment

• "Drive"

A mysterious man who has multiple jobs as a garage mechanic, a Hollywood stuntman and a getaway driver seems to be trying to escape his shady past as he falls for his neighbor - whose husband is in prison and who's looking after her child alone. Meanwhile, his garage mechanic boss is trying to set up a race team using gangland money, which implicates our driver as he is to be used as the race team's main driver. Our hero gets more than he bargained for when he meets the man who is married to the woman he loves.

[img][/img]

Well what do I say about this movie? I'll start by first saying the title and trailer are very misleading, as you would think it's all about car chases and action scenes when in reality it was more action scenes with a couple of car chases mixed in with a half a$$ed love story. The fight scenes were ok and extremely graphic (in one you literally see a guys head get stomped and squashed like a pumpkin) and there are a few more scenes that dont lack in the gore department. The few driving scenes were good for what they were but could have had more to make it more what you thought the movie was going to be about. The acting was good and starred Ryan Gosling as the lead actor and a few other big names added in the mix. Overall the movie was an ok watch but imo it's only a one watch film.

Rocco Rating 7 out of 10

Comment

Working...
                      X