Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rise of Atheism in America (INFOGRAFIC)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rancid Dope View Post
    are you an atheist? Do you believe in science? Do you believe in reason?
    Yes, yes and yes. I'm still hoping you're going to take up my previous challenge to name a religion which has beliefs less daft than those typically associated with atheism.

Comment

are you an atheist? Do you believe in science? Do you believe in reason?
      There are different kinds of belief.

Religious belief or a faith in God isnt the same as a 'belief' in science or reason or a belief Pac will get stopped by Cotto in round 10.

...oh bollocks, did i just get drawn into yet another boxing scene thread on religion?
      **** IT!!

The power of the ****ty thread compels thee.

Comment

thats a hard question, im still on the fence about it.
        It's confusing I'll admit.

Comment

Originally posted by Evilnos Unholy View Post
          Why is the heavily-tattooed, addict-looking bartender labeled as the atheist... In real life, I think it's more of the opposite. Many times, the heavily tattooed people are really the religious ones, or believe in god and crap
          I find it funny as well.
          I've had people tell me I don't "look" like an atheist.
          It doesn't bug me that they put a tattoo'd lady to represent
          us though. cus really what does an atheist look like:

its broad as daylight, so they could of just put anybody.

Comment

A good video to watch Pico.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
              I find it funny as well.
              I've had people tell me I don't "look" like an atheist.
              It doesn't bug me that they put a tattoo'd lady to represent
              us though. cus really what does an atheist look like:

its broad as daylight, so they could of just put anybody.
              It doesn't bug me either. But you know damn well they did that on purpose. I guess they tried to go for a rebellious look.

There is no distinct look to it. Just like the religious guys depicted. They don't go walking around town wearing that crap (except maybe some Jews and Muslims )

Comment

an even better video to watch Pico:

it goes well while drinking a nice tall glass of goats blood of course.

Comment

"In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Reply to Loyal Colored People of Baltimore upon Presentation of a Bible" (September 7, 1864), p. 542.

"...that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863.

Comment

Originally posted by texanballer View Post
                    "In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Reply to Loyal Colored People of Baltimore upon Presentation of a Bible" (September 7, 1864), p. 542.

"...that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863.
                    "The Bible is not my book, nor christianity my profession" - Abraham Lincoln

At times religious wording was written into Lincoln's speeches, but such public soothes were brought at the insistence of White House staff members. In 1843, after he lost a campaign for Congress, he wrote to his supporters: "It was everywhere contended that no Christian ought to vote for me because I belonged to no church, and was suspected of being a Deist."

When Lincoln was first considered for the presidential nomination, Logan Hay wrote to his nephew, the future Secretary of State John Hay: "Candor compels me to say that Mr. Lincoln could hardly be termed a devout believer in the authenticity of the Bible (but this is for your ears only)."

Interviewer Opie Read once asked Lincoln about his conception of God, to which he replied: "The same as my conception of nature." When he was asked what he meant by that, he said: "That it is impossible for either to be personal."

His former law partner, William Herndon, said of him after his assassination: "[Mr. Lincoln] never mentioned the name of Jesus, except to scorn and detest the idea of a miraculous conception. He did write a little work on infidelity in 1835-6, and never recanted. He was an out-and-out infidel, and about that there is no mistake." He also said that Lincoln "assimilated into his own being" the heretical book Age of Reason by Thomas Paine.

Lincoln's first law partner, John T. Stuart, said of him: "He was an avowed and open infidel, and sometimes bordered on atheism. He went further against Christian beliefs and doctrines and principles than any man I have ever heard."

Supreme Court Justice David Davis: "He [Lincoln] had no faith, in the Christian sense of the term-- he had faith in laws, principles, causes and effects."

you = fail.

Comment

Originally posted by texanballer View Post

I'm always amused when the "under God" pops up in the Gettysburg address, it wasn't added until after in a neat little history rewrite. There's a copy from the original address Lincoln gave.

The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession.
                      -- Abraham Lincoln, quoted by Joseph Lewis in "Lincoln the Freethinker"

Politicians say what they need to for their popularity...

Comment

Working...
                      X