Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CNN reporter has car broken into in San Francisco despite hiring private security

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN reporter has car broken into in San Francisco despite hiring private security

https://nypost.com/2023/03/18/cnn-re...car-broken-in/

'Got robbed. Again' Kyung Lah tweeted after she went to San Francisco to cover the rise in crime in the city.

Everyday all day this happens. It's so bad that people are now leaving windows down.

We won't dare go back. We use to go a couple times a year. Last we went a bum **** on the ground in front of us. The city is a mess.

Comment

The SF political heads just chalk this up to life in the big city and if you don't like it go back to the suburbs. Again, this is the new normal in 2023.

Over the weekend, two Twitter threads regarding car break-ins in San Francisco went viral.

The first came from CNN reporter Kyung Lah, who said her rental car was broken into outside City Hall even with hired security monitoring the vehicle. The second came from someone sharing a story from a visiting friend, who purportedly lost $10,000 in valuables and is now "scarred forever."

Former San Francisco police commissioner and 2022 progressive candidate for district attorney John Hamasakino stranger to Twitter controversy — decided to weigh in on the second thread with a take that infuriated many.

"Would getting your car window broken and some stuff stolen leave you 'scarred forever'?" Hamasaki wrote. "Is this what the suburbs do to you? Shelter you from basic city life experiences so that when they happen you are broken to the core?"
      He continued his take in a thread, writing: "I’ve had my window broken 2x when I was living paycheck to paycheck. It sucked financially, but it had zero impact on my sense of public safety. I can’t even imagine the world one must live in where this would be the most traumatizing incident in their life. Again, not to say it doesn’t suck. But maybe city life just isn’t for you. It’s not the suburbs. There is crime. I’m grateful most of it is property crime instead of violent crime. But I’ve always felt safe in San Francisco, even after being on the wrong side of violent crime."

As one might expect, Hamasaki drew criticism for suggesting car break-ins are "basic city life experiences."

"I grew up in San Diego and never had to worry about regular break-ins or other petty crime except in the very worst of areas," read one reply. "Crime was the exception to the general rule."

Hamasaki told SFGATE that he did not think the tweet would go as viral as it did (it's been viewed 2.8 million times as of Monday afternoon), and that his primary intent was to "push back" on negative depictions of the city that hurt tourism. This interview has been lightly edited and condensed for clarity.

Hamasaki: Yes. So one of my other posts was about how one of my assistants had her window broken out literally last week. She’s from the Bay Area and said, "That's what I get for leaving my bag in my car." All the locals know about our high rate of property crime and know it's not safe to leave things in their cars, but tourists don't always know that. It's definitely a real challenge we face. But we're letting that eclipse everything else about the city. We don’t see beautiful sunsets going viral, so do we really want this to define what San Francisco is? I don't think it should, and we should push back to show how beautiful the city is, and the positive aspects of the city.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...t-17850242.php
      man down man down likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        The SF political heads just chalk this up to life in the big city and if you don't like it go back to the suburbs. Again, this is the new normal in 2023.

Over the weekend, two Twitter threads regarding car break-ins in San Francisco went viral.

The first came from CNN reporter Kyung Lah, who said her rental car was broken into outside City Hall even with hired security monitoring the vehicle. The second came from someone sharing a story from a visiting friend, who purportedly lost $10,000 in valuables and is now "scarred forever."

Former San Francisco police commissioner and 2022 progressive candidate for district attorney John Hamasakino stranger to Twitter controversy — decided to weigh in on the second thread with a take that infuriated many.

"Would getting your car window broken and some stuff stolen leave you 'scarred forever'?" Hamasaki wrote. "Is this what the suburbs do to you? Shelter you from basic city life experiences so that when they happen you are broken to the core?"
        He continued his take in a thread, writing: "I’ve had my window broken 2x when I was living paycheck to paycheck. It sucked financially, but it had zero impact on my sense of public safety. I can’t even imagine the world one must live in where this would be the most traumatizing incident in their life. Again, not to say it doesn’t suck. But maybe city life just isn’t for you. It’s not the suburbs. There is crime. I’m grateful most of it is property crime instead of violent crime. But I’ve always felt safe in San Francisco, even after being on the wrong side of violent crime."

As one might expect, Hamasaki drew criticism for suggesting car break-ins are "basic city life experiences."

"I grew up in San Diego and never had to worry about regular break-ins or other petty crime except in the very worst of areas," read one reply. "Crime was the exception to the general rule."

Hamasaki told SFGATE that he did not think the tweet would go as viral as it did (it's been viewed 2.8 million times as of Monday afternoon), and that his primary intent was to "push back" on negative depictions of the city that hurt tourism. This interview has been lightly edited and condensed for clarity.

Hamasaki: Yes. So one of my other posts was about how one of my assistants had her window broken out literally last week. She’s from the Bay Area and said, "That's what I get for leaving my bag in my car." All the locals know about our high rate of property crime and know it's not safe to leave things in their cars, but tourists don't always know that. It's definitely a real challenge we face. But we're letting that eclipse everything else about the city. We don’t see beautiful sunsets going viral, so do we really want this to define what San Francisco is? I don't think it should, and we should push back to show how beautiful the city is, and the positive aspects of the city.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...t-17850242.php
        aha yes i tried to find a link to this (as his reaction is more crazy than the robbery itself), the video i heard this morning mentioned that lunatic but i didnt catch his name

Comment

image.png .....
          Sweet Pea 5O Sweet Pea 5O likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
            image.png .....

It isn't all bums just shooting up and shitting in the streets.

But yeah, San Francisco definitely has it's issues.

Despite all the LGBTQIRSLMNOP+++ out there, some of the most beautiful woman I have ever seen live there.

No penis....

Comment

Working...
            X