No announcement yet.

**the official 49ers thread**

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB Alex Smith visiting Dolphins

With the San Francisco 49ers jumping into the race for Peyton Manning's services, free-agent quarterback Alex Smith is making a play of his own.

Walker: Dolphins' Interest in Smith Real?
    If Alex Smith really is the Dolphins' Plan C at quarterback, it's starting to look like amateur hour in Miami, James Walker writes. Blog

• Dolphins not sold on Flynn?

Smith is in Miami to visit Sunday with the Dolphins.

"This is the NFL. I guess nothing surprises me anymore," Smith told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Sunday.

"I never thought a year ago (Peyton) Manning would be a free agent either," Smith told the newspaper. "I'm never surprised by anything."

The 49ers have been working to re-sign Smith, the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2005 who made a comeback in 2011 under first-year coach and former NFL QB Jim Harbaugh, and Smith has acknowledged he was happy with their three-year offer.

But that was before the 49ers worked out Manning and put him through a physical exam early last week.

Manning and Smith both are represented by agent Tom Condon and CAA Sports. The San Francisco Chronicle, citing a league source, is reporting that Smith is considering changing agents because of a possible conflict of interest.

Alex Smith
    #11 QB
    San Francisco 49ers
    2011 STATS
    Att
    Comp
    Yds
    TD
    Int
    Rat
    49ers running back Frank Gore, who works out each offseason in Miami, said Sunday he hadn't spoken to Smith. Gore has long supported Smith through the quarterback's up-and-down seven NFL seasons.

Now, Gore and the 49ers are sitting tight to see what happens next.

"It's crazy," Gore said. "I'm waiting for whatever happens. I know coach Harbaugh and (general manager) Trent Baalke feel good about what they're doing."

If Smith were to sign with the Dolphins, he would be reunited with former high school teammate Reggie Bush. Smith and Bush were teammates at Helix Charter High School in La Mesa, Calif.

Smith's visit in Miami comes a day after Green Bay Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn met with the Dolphins and former offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, now the Dolphins' coach, in South Florida.

Smith orchestrated five comeback wins for the 49ers during the regular season -- four of those on the road -- and another in a thrilling 36-32 victory against the Saints in the playoffs.

He threw just five interceptions last season and thrived under Harbaugh after previously struggling to live up to his lofty draft status.

The 27-year-old made $4.9 million in base salary in 2011 and earned a $1 million bonus for reaching the playoffs.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
      QB Alex Smith visiting Dolphins

With the San Francisco 49ers jumping into the race for Peyton Manning's services, free-agent quarterback Alex Smith is making a play of his own.

Walker: Dolphins' Interest in Smith Real?
      If Alex Smith really is the Dolphins' Plan C at quarterback, it's starting to look like amateur hour in Miami, James Walker writes. Blog

• Dolphins not sold on Flynn?

Smith is in Miami to visit Sunday with the Dolphins.

"This is the NFL. I guess nothing surprises me anymore," Smith told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Sunday.

"I never thought a year ago (Peyton) Manning would be a free agent either," Smith told the newspaper. "I'm never surprised by anything."

The 49ers have been working to re-sign Smith, the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2005 who made a comeback in 2011 under first-year coach and former NFL QB Jim Harbaugh, and Smith has acknowledged he was happy with their three-year offer.

But that was before the 49ers worked out Manning and put him through a physical exam early last week.

Manning and Smith both are represented by agent Tom Condon and CAA Sports. The San Francisco Chronicle, citing a league source, is reporting that Smith is considering changing agents because of a possible conflict of interest.

Alex Smith
      #11 QB
      San Francisco 49ers
      2011 STATS
      Att
      Comp
      Yds
      TD
      Int
      Rat
      49ers running back Frank Gore, who works out each offseason in Miami, said Sunday he hadn't spoken to Smith. Gore has long supported Smith through the quarterback's up-and-down seven NFL seasons.

Now, Gore and the 49ers are sitting tight to see what happens next.

"It's crazy," Gore said. "I'm waiting for whatever happens. I know coach Harbaugh and (general manager) Trent Baalke feel good about what they're doing."

If Smith were to sign with the Dolphins, he would be reunited with former high school teammate Reggie Bush. Smith and Bush were teammates at Helix Charter High School in La Mesa, Calif.

Smith's visit in Miami comes a day after Green Bay Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn met with the Dolphins and former offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, now the Dolphins' coach, in South Florida.

Smith orchestrated five comeback wins for the 49ers during the regular season -- four of those on the road -- and another in a thrilling 36-32 victory against the Saints in the playoffs.

He threw just five interceptions last season and thrived under Harbaugh after previously struggling to live up to his lofty draft status.

The 27-year-old made $4.9 million in base salary in 2011 and earned a $1 million bonus for reaching the playoffs.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
      sounds like manning going to the broncos.....

Comment

• Alex Smith will resign now.

Peyton aint doing sh$t with the Broncos.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
          Alex Smith will resign now.

Peyton aint doing sh$t with the Broncos.
          as long as he is not with Arizona or in the NFC im coo.........hope to see him in the superbowl!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• First M&M Mario Manningham..........now Jacobs......not a bad pick up......

Frank Gore, 28, is no longer the oldest halfback on the San Francisco 49ers.

That distinction belongs to Brandon Jacobs, whose contract agreement with San Francisco gives the 49ers veteran insurance at a key position.

JacobsJacobs, 29, averaged only 3.8 yards per carry last season. He did score seven rushing touchdowns and eight total touchdowns. He has 17 total touchdowns over the past two seasons.

Jacobs' three longest runs last season -- covering 34, 28 and 19 yards -- came from Week 14 or later, including one against the Atlanta Falcons in the wild-card playoff round. He played on early downs and in short-yardage situations, gaining six first downs on 11 third- or fourth-down rushes when the Giants needed 2 or fewer yards for a first down.

Jacobs is 6-foot-4 and 264 pounds but less physical as a runner than Gore or any of the leading NFC West backs. His addition would not seem to threaten Kendall Hunter, the 49ers' primary backup and a promising young player, but rather power back Anthony Dixon.

Dixon gained first downs on all three of his short-yardage rushing attempts (defined the same way I defined them for Jacobs earlier in this item). Hunter converted once on five of these rushes. Gore converted eight times in 16 chances, including on the 49ers' only attempt during the postseason.

Comment

• Harbaugh is tuning this into a smash mouth team.

I love it.

Ground and pound, with some ability to hurt you deep if the safeties get greedy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                Harbaugh is tuning this into a smash mouth team.

I love it.

Ground and pound, with some ability to hurt you deep if the safeties get greedy.
                I can't wait till next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ric Boss View Post
                  I can't wait till next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Off topic, but you still doing sigs, Ric? If so, 500 million for a Hagler?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                    Off topic, but you still doing sigs, Ric? If so, 500 million for a Hagler?
                    Yeah I still do siggies bro but im a bit (quite a bit) outside your range....im in the 1.5 to 2.5 billie per siggy range......

you know.........tough economy inflation and all...........

Comment

• Originally posted by Ric Boss View Post
                      Yeah I still do siggies bro but im a bit (quite a bit) outside your range....im in the 1.5 to 2.5 billie per siggy range......

you know.........tough economy inflation and all...........
                      Damn. You are like reed was when sigs where 25k, lol. But I hear you.

Comment

Working...
                      X