Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

America Was One of the Last Countries to begin slavery and the First to Abolish it, Making it Illegal.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America Was One of the Last Countries to begin slavery and the First to Abolish it, Making it Illegal.

Those who enslaved your ancestors, after a relatively short time through history (and seeing how wrong it was), also set you free. Be free..............Rockin'

Absolute nonsense. Britain was. Britain would attack ships and free slaves.

Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post

I mean, if you cut off the first half of what Rockin' said sure.

No disrespect to y'all abolishment movement, but, from prior to Romans until the slave trade act of 18-0-something is a long ass ****ing time. 1776 to 1886 is only 100 years bud. Did y'all have a break on it I was unawares of? Middle ages Brittany as got slaves, no?

Video is slow af, I just want to tell dude on with it y'all ass dragging mother ****er. So, if it's covered, my bad, but I did try.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

I mean, if you cut off the first half of what Rockin' said sure.

No disrespect to y'all abolishment movement, but, from prior to Romans until the slave trade act of 18-0-something is a long ass ****ing time. 1776 to 1886 is only 100 years bud. Did y'all have a break on it I was unawares of? Middle ages Brittany as got slaves, no?

Video is slow af, I just want to tell dude on with it y'all ass dragging mother ****er. So, if it's covered, my bad, but I did try.
        In those days slavery was the norm. It was Britains that changed and changed the thinking of the world. Without Britain that might not have changed and slavery would still be the norm now. In 1837 Britain paid for every slave to be freed in the empire, which was a huge debt that was only paid off in 2015.
        Last edited by Robbie Barrett; 06-09-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Offering freedom to slaves of revolutionaries to sign up and fight against the revolution wasn’t all about doing the right thing though. Justice warriors the Brits were not.
          Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

In those days slavery was the norm. It was Britains that changed and changed the thinking of the world. Without Britain that might not have changed and slavery would still be the norm now. In 1837 Britain paid for every slave to be freed in the empire, which was a huge debt that was only paid off in 2015.
            Yeah, I was just saying y'all an early adopter. Pretty much everyone agrees the Brits started abolition. TBH, never looked it up, but, figure Rockin makes a decent point in that we were hardly actually a slave nation chronologically speaking. It's weird y'all have slaves for a long ass time, like most of Europe, then when it's over, it's over. No one really thinks of British as racist slave owner types...we still got that though.

Out of curiosity did the rest of Europe have an abolition movement? Asia? When had one in earl America but it died until the 1800s
            Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

Yeah, I was just saying y'all an early adopter. Pretty much everyone agrees the Brits started abolition. TBH, never looked it up, but, figure Rockin makes a decent point in that we were hardly actually a slave nation chronologically speaking. It's weird y'all have slaves for a long ass time, like most of Europe, then when it's over, it's over. No one really thinks of British as racist slave owner types...we still got that though.

Out of curiosity did the rest of Europe have an abolition movement? Asia? When had one in earl America but it died until the 1800s
              Britain didn't really have slaves. Slave traders not owners. The colonies did.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...ry_and_serfdom

It ain't exactly clear cut, because there's all kinds of gradations of Slavery (and serfdom which is kinda the same but has certain assumed responsibilities attached to the nobility) but France, Norway and Sweden probably beat Britain to it although both Venice and London banned the trading of Slaves much earlier.

The US did only have Slavery for a short time it's true, but then it's kind of a disingenuous argument cos the US has only been around for a short time relative to most of the other slave trading / holding nations... in historical terms you dudes were barely out of your training pants around the time much of the world was deciding that owning other humans beings and having the right to do whatever the hell you liked to 'em was probably a little bit iffy ethically.

The answer is that whilst individual nations imposed partial bans on ownership and trading many times over the centuries (usually still allowing ownership in their colonial or overseas territories) the global slave trade and the overall practice of Slavery only began to be seriously challenged with the Enlightenment... but then the Enlightenment went hand in hand with the industrial revolution at which point it was probably less hassle and likely cheaper overall to just rent unskilled workers - preferably the ones you'd just kicked off the open fields so you could make more profit from large scale farming too - for a pittance an hour without the hassle of having to guard, feed, cloth and house them (unless you wished to double down your profits by gouging 'em on the rent too, of course).

https://www.fff.org/explore-freedom/...al-revolution/

And of course, just like any other rental you can always trade in for a newer model when an employee gets too old or loses an arm or hand to the looms (I come from Mill country) or goes down with Cotton Lung... with a slave you just lost your investment. Who'd bother? It wasn't described as 'wage slavery' for nothing.
                Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Can't buy or trade for something that isn't for sale or to be traded.

Let's get to the MFers who STARTED the trend.

Name me a race of people who weren't slaves

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post

Offering freedom to slaves of revolutionaries to sign up and fight against the revolution wasn’t all about doing the right thing though. Justice warriors the Brits were not.
                    Lincoln gets a lot of credit from many for a tactical decision.

Lincoln wanted to send them to Africa.

He wasn’t great!

Marchegiano Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X