Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This end of the world video actually freaked me out a bit..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming this site is still around, and so am i. I am going to spend the minutes before midnight on here. If i die i die with the boxingsceners.

Comment

I changed my mind. I wouldnt want to die online.

Comment

Originally posted by texanballer View Post
        Assuming this site is still around, and so am i. I am going to spend the minutes before midnight on here. If i die i die with the boxingsceners.
        I want to die while going on a killing spree through Nebraska.

Comment

Go to my profile and look at my pic. It has "serial killer" written all over it.

Comment

This one.........

Earth could be in for a neighborhood dispute with a death star, according to an Australian astronomer.

A spectacular rotating pinwheel system just down the astronomical road from Earth — 8,000 light years away — includes an unstable Wolf-Rayet star that could explode.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Space Center.

Eight years ago, WR104 was discovered in the constellation Sagittarius by Sydney University astronomer Peter Tuthill.

A Wolf-Rayet star is the last step on the way to a supernova — the explosion of a star at the end of its life.

Images from the Mauna Kea in Hawaii telescope show that every eight months the two stars at the centre of the pinwheel orbit each other, leaving a trail of hot gas, carbon and dust.

"Viewed from Earth, the rotating tail appears to be laid out on the sky in an almost perfect spiral," Tuthill said. "It could only appear like that if we are looking nearly exactly down on the axis of the binary system."
            Related

Stories
            o NASA Space Probe Takes Photos of Avalanche on Mars
            o Venus May Be Result of Huge Two-Planet Collision
            o Four More Spacecraft Show Bizarre Speed Changes
            o Georgia Team Wins Contest to Track Killer Asteroid
            o NASA to Smash Moon With Double Sledgehammer
            o Scientists Predict When World Will End

• Click here for an animated image of WR104's spiral.

Tuthill and his team worry this box-seat view might put us in the firing line when the system finally explodes.

"Sometimes, supernovae like the one that will one day destroy WR104 focus their energy into a narrow beam of very destructive gamma-ray radiation along the axis of the system," he warns. "If such a 'gamma-ray burst' happens, we really do not want Earth to be in the way."

Even a short gamma-ray burst at supernova strength could zap away half the Earth's ozone layer, drastically increasing the amount of deadly space radiation that penetrates our atmosphere.

One leading theory blames the Ordovician mass extinction of 443 million years ago on such an interstellar gamma-ray burst.

There's no need to move planets just yet, however, because Tuthill is uncertain whether Earth is precisely on WR104's axis.

"We probably have hundreds of thousands of years before it blows, so we have plenty of time to come up with some answers," he said.

Tuthill's research is published in the latest edition of the Astrophysical Journal.
            http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335186,00.html

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
              I want to die while going on a killing spree through Nebraska.
              Nebraska seems like a great place to die.

Comment

Happened last year if it would have hit us it could/would have been the end of life on Earth.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2..._nakedeye2.htm

FEATURE

Naked-Eye Gamma-ray Burst Aimed Directly at Earth

+ Play Audio | + Download Audio | + Email to a friend | + Join mailing list

Sept. 10, 2008: Astronomers announced today that a remarkable gamma-ray burst visible to the human eye earlier this year came from an explosive stellar jet aimed almost directly at Earth.

see captionRight: Click to view a streaming animation of the explosive stellar jet, an artist's concept.

NASA's Swift satellite detected the explosion - formally named GRB 080319B - at 2:13 a.m. EDT on March 19, 2008, and pinpointed its position in the constellation Bootes. The gamma-ray burst became bright enough to see even without a telescope. Observations of the event by a global array of satellites and ground-based observatories have since given scientists the most detailed portrait of a burst ever recorded.

"Swift was designed to find unusual bursts," said Swift principal investigator Neil Gehrels at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "We really hit the jackpot with this one."

In a paper to appear in Thursday's issue of Nature, Judith Racusin of Penn State University and a team of 92 coauthors report on observations across the spectrum that began 30 minutes before the explosion and followed its afterglow for months. The team concludes the burst's extraordinary brightness arose from a jet that shot material directly toward Earth at 99.99995 percent the speed of light.

Within the next 15 seconds, the burst brightened enough to be visible in a dark sky to human eyes. It briefly crested at a magnitude of 5.3 on the astronomical brightness scale. Incredibly, the dying star was 7.5 billion light-years away.

Telescopes around the world already were studying the afterglow of another burst when GRB 080319B exploded just 10 degrees away. TORTORA, a robotic wide-field optical camera operated in Chile with Russian-Italian collaboration, also caught the early light: movie. TORTORA's rapid imaging provided the most detailed look yet at visible light associated with a burst's initial gamma-ray blast.

see caption

Above: GRB 080319B makes a brief appearance among the stars of Bootes in a movie made by Pi of the Sky, a Polish group that monitors the sky for afterglows and other short-lived phenomena. [More]

Immediately after the blast, Swift's UltraViolet and Optical Telescope and X-Ray Telescope indicated they were effectively blinded. Racusin initially thought something was wrong with the telescopes. Within minutes, however, as reports from other observers arrived, it was clear this was a special event.

Gamma-ray bursts are the most luminous explosions in the Universe. Most occur when massive stars run out of nuclear fuel. As a star's core collapses, it creates a black hole or neutron star that, through processes not fully understood, drive powerful gas jets outward. These jets actually punch through the collapsing star, carrying matter and beaming radiation into space.

The team believes the jet directed toward Earth contained an ultra-fast component just 0.4 of a degree across. This core resided within a slightly less energetic jet about 20 times wider.

see caption

Comment

he said in may 2011 we can see planet x with the naked eye.we will know then.the Mayan calender goes in 52 year cycles & it ends in december 21(2012) the shortest day of the year & 1st day of winter.the Mayan are amazing I've been to every major Mayan site in Mexico,Belize,honduras,Guatemala.the snake is the sign of fertility & life.they built chichen itza according to the sun.on march 21(1st day of spring),sept 21(1st day of fall)on those 2 days the way the sun shines down on chichen itza great pyramid the sun creates a shadow on the pyramid that looks like a snake crawling up the pyramid.IRS amazing! 50000 people there on those 2 days to worship.I missed it by a week but will go back in march to be there on that day.the mayan were amazing astronomers & they never looked directly at the sky at night(I believe it was a sin),instead they had pools of water to see a reflection of the stars in the water.mirror image...neat people & very interesting that their calender ends on the shortest day of the year 2012...I'll go to the southern tip of chile for that day! Maybe in a boat around antartica.I'll be there to witness when it reaches the polar cap....front row seats to the worlds demise! The fun starts may 2011 maybe.if it happens that we see the object in the sky in may 2011 imagine the worldwide anarchy!!! No law & order anywhere on earth...interesting

Comment

Originally posted by The Scientist View Post
                    Nebraska seems like a great place to die.
                    Children of the corn 17....awesome

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
                      I'd much rather have the entire world's population die, than just me die and have the rest of the world live on.

The thought of the world continuing without me is ridiculous.
                      LOL! I feel the exact same way. I'm not lying.

I don't think the world will end on that date, but I hope we're proved wrong.
                      Believe me, I'm wholeheartedly rooting for the sun vaporizing us into micro dust.

I'll be 30 at that time... Good age to go out, dontcha think?

Comment

Working...
                      X