Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So went to the England vs Germany game. Despite it being a friendly atmosphere was great.

Question though, why is it racist or considered racist to wave the English flag?
    I went to local shops trying to buy the English national team shirt or an English flag and couldn't find anything. When I finally asked, the guy told me it was racist and that's why they didn't sell any. Seems a little silly to me

Comment

• Originally posted by JrRod View Post
      So went to the England vs Germany game. Despite it being a friendly atmosphere was great.

Question though, why is it racist or considered racist to wave the English flag?
      I went to local shops trying to buy the English national team shirt or an English flag and couldn't find anything. When I finally asked, the guy told me it was racist and that's why they didn't sell any. Seems a little silly to me
      In England, people don't really have England flags hoisted anywhere or outside unless the World Cup or Euro's is on in all honesty. Not saying it's uncommon but it's definitely not common. The places that do have it are usually pretty working class, white and arguably do a have a higher propensity for racism.

People here aren't as jingoistic or in your face patriotic like they are in the U.S. When theres a World Cup or Euro's on, everyone is pushing for England to win so it's pretty normal around then.

I wouldn't say having an England flag or buying one somehow makes you a racist, it's not what the flag is supposed to represent but the people who usually do seem to flaunt it, seem to be quite aggressively patriotic in my experience. It'd be normal in the U.S honestly, we just have a different outlook on what it means to openly display it at all times. Other countries I have been to are very open with their flag use, Pakistan, Turkey, Wales, Scotland. The two countries I have been to that aren't are England and to a smaller extent Germany but to be fair I wasn't in Germany long enough to give that much credence.

Comment

• Originally posted by hayZ View Post
        In England, people don't really have England flags hoisted anywhere or outside unless the World Cup or Euro's is on in all honesty. Not saying it's uncommon but it's definitely not common. The places that do have it are usually pretty working class, white and arguably do a have a higher propensity for racism.

People here aren't as jingoistic or in your face patriotic like they are in the U.S. When theres a World Cup or Euro's on, everyone is pushing for England to win so it's pretty normal around then.

I wouldn't say having an England flag or buying one somehow makes you a racist, it's not what the flag is supposed to represent but the people who usually do seem to flaunt it, seem to be quite aggressively patriotic in my experience. It'd be normal in the U.S honestly, we just have a different outlook on what it means to openly display it at all times. Other countries I have been to are very open with their flag use, Pakistan, Turkey, Wales, Scotland. The two countries I have been to that aren't are England and to a smaller extent Germany but to be fair I wasn't in Germany long enough to give that much credence.
        Ridiculous, basically equating working class to racism, which obviously isn't true and disrespectful.

With regards to the actual post you were replying to there would be no real reason for shopkeepers to be stocking England flags and the like in November, basically seasonal stock. I'm sure you would have been able to find plenty around the ground. Like saying couldn't find fireworks in april.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
          Ridiculous, basically equating working class to racism, which obviously isn't true and disrespectful.

With regards to the actual post you were replying to there would be no real reason for shopkeepers to be stocking England flags and the like in November, basically seasonal stock. I'm sure you would have been able to find plenty around the ground. Like saying couldn't find fireworks in april.
          I come from a working class family myself. The guy said the shopkeeper said it was racist, which it obviously isn't. I'm not saying because you're working class, you're racist either. I'm painting a picture and in all honesty more often than not, there is more racism in poorer areas where people aren't as well educated. I've lived in a poor area all my life (sounds like the class version of im not racist, I have a black friend lmao).

Comment

• Italy not making the World Cup is mental.

No doubt they will have a full inquest and win it the next few tournaments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              Italy not making the World Cup is mental.

No doubt they will have a full inquest and win it the next few tournaments.
              sad for Buffon not end his carreer in the biggest stage possible. terrible coach, still doesn't have clue his own formation and style after 2 years

Comment

• Italy are a shambles.. their team has fallen so much.

Just saw Brazil's expected team to play England, midfield could be a little stronger but that is best Brazil team I have seen since 2002 World Cup.

Comment

• 1954 was the last time Italy didn't qualify.

Will seem weird them not being there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                    1954 was the last time Italy didn't qualify.

Will seem weird them not being there.
                    Yeah I like an underdog but do quite like to see all the 'big' football nations there.

Comment

• The guy who said that was probably half joking.. it's not racist but its pretty much looked down on to have a flag up.. For some reason having your countries flag up is "chavish" etc in this terrible country..

We even had one stupid ***** MP get in trouble for laughing at someone in her constituency for it. Basically don't show pride in the English flag/culture.. as we don't want to offend others

Comment

Working...
                      X