Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England kick off their under 21 tourney tonight against Portugal which should be good.

Serbia got a draw against Germany last night, they was one up too, they looked solid as ****. They was the ones who knocked out Spain in the play offs.

Comment

• Is Oxlade Chamberlain in the U-21 squad?

He really should be.

So should Sterling.

Hodgeson really should have been braver. It didn't even matter if England lost to Slovenia. They are never finishing 3rd in that horrific group and if they did we should retire from competing in International Footy at senior level until every player involved in those squads has retired.

Comment

• No Ox, he's a senior player now. I'm a believer in that the team that got you there should remain, with one or two tweaks maybe. Otherwise players might just think **** it, if he's just gonna call some of the young senior players up once we qualified why should i bother.

Comment

• Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
          No Ox, he's a senior player now. I'm a believer in that the team that got you there should remain, with one or two tweaks maybe. Otherwise players might just think **** it, if he's just gonna call some of the young senior players up once we qualified why should i bother.
          I just think it is tournament experience.

With all due respect to someone like Ben Gibson or Nathaniel Chalobah. They might never play for national team.

Michael Mancienne must have got about 30 caps for U-21. There was definitely a point where someone should have said: listen, he is never gonna play for England most likely. So as a progression tool the u-21 didn't work.

That is why Pearce was god awful as a coach of that side. Had it for years as well that job.

I can see both sides to the argument. But I think you should go with your best possible group of players - the point is that you should be pretty confident that at least your starting XI is more likely than not to get full England honours, imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
            I just think it is tournament experience.

With all due respect to someone like Ben Gibson or Nathaniel Chalobah. They might never play for national team.

Michael Mancienne must have got about 30 caps for U-21. There was definitely a point where someone should have said: listen, he is never gonna play for England most likely. So as a progression tool the u-21 didn't work.

That is why Pearce was god awful as a coach of that side. Had it for years as well that job.

I can see both sides to the argument. But I think you should go with your best possible group of players - the point is that you should be pretty confident that at least your starting XI is more likely than not to get full England honours, imo.
            It would be nice to have some of the quality under 21 players that play for the senior side, and it may give us a better chance, but the reason England are poor isn't because the lack of tournament experience at a young level imo.

If England had better players then some of the young guys would remain in the under 21's then get promoted together, like Germany did after they won the 2009 under 21 euros that had Ozil, Neur etc. But we actually rely on some of these kids in the senior squad because our depth is so appalling so it's not an easy job.

Comment

• Berahino has been sent home with injury so i think that only leaves us with Kane and Ings up top.

Comment

• yep it is tough.

I do think this England team is the worst team we will ever have though.

At most youth levels aside from U-20's which really is a dead age group for European teams we are actually quite good.

U-19's are very good and that is usually when the quality plummets.

We are always good at U-17 level for some reason.

It is important that premiership teams pick up youth players from Chelsea and City. Both teams probably have the best English players at youth level, generally. Obviously, hardly any are gonna get through at either team, sadly.

Comment

• I like the look of the kid Redmond, a proper winger with pace and delivery. Surprised no decent side took him on.

Comment

• Ward Prowse is quality.

Comment

• Watching this reminded me of when i first ever watched this tourney and Newcastle spunked a load of cash of Hugo Viana off the back of a couple of good games for Portugal U-21 and he was absolute gash.

Massimo maccaronne was another.

Comment

Working...
                      X