Collapse
No announcement yet.

the cure or the smiths

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Above posted are lesser known songs from their respective catalogues, yet favorites of mine. This is something characteristic of real artists - you don't just get the 'hits', there's much more if you put time and effort into listening and interpreting.

Also, the best rock bands in the world are English, not American. Except for the Doors, maybe.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
        Above posted are lesser known songs from their respective catalogues, yet favorites of mine. This is something characteristic of real artists - you don't just get the 'hits', there's much more if you put time and effort into listening and interpreting.

Also, the best rock bands in the world are English,
        not American. Except for the Doors, maybe.
        I'm a fat yank, and I agree with this. The English own rock, at least from the 60s through the 80s.

But we had some good bands too like the Doors, CCR, Skynyrd, and Hendrix.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
          I'm a fat yank, and I agree with this. The English own rock, at least from the 60s through the 80s.

But we had some good bands too like the Doors, CCR, Skynyrd, and Hendrix.
          I'm a fan of all these and they are America's finest. There's Tom Waits too.

Comment

I would say Cure has more emotional depth where Smiths had wit.
            If have to disagree 100 percent. Smiths (Morrissey) plumbed some serious emotional depth. He went places very few songwiriters could only wish. Both Moz and Robert Smith had some great literary influences and both borrowed. But Morrissey was on another level in the 80's. Including his first solo album. His wit and humor go without saying.

Comment

Originally posted by racer59 View Post
              If have to disagree 100 percent. Smiths (Morrissey) plumbed some serious emotional depth. He went places very few songwiriters could only wish. Both Moz and Robert Smith had some great literary influences and both borrowed. But Morrissey was on another level in the 80's. Including his first solo album. His wit and humor go without saying.
              You might be right - anyway, it's all subjective. I listened more to Smiths/Morrissey and might not be fully qualified in reviewing The Cure, really. I remember my previous girlfriend liked Cure -- I listened to harder rock and all kinds of stuff.

Comment

You might be right - anyway, it's all subjective. I listened more to Smiths/Morrissey and might not be fully qualified in reviewing The Cure, really. I remember my previous girlfriend liked Cure -- I listened to harder rock and all kinds of stuff.
                Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of The Cure since I was a kid. Actually listened to them before I ever even heard of Smiths / Morrissey.

Just my opinion but Morrisseys was unstoppable in those days. Starting with his first collaborations with Marr like Suffer Little Children, Back to The Old House, Reel Around The Fountain to some of his early solo stuff like Late Night, Maudlin St. I don't think anything in Robert Smiths oeuvre equals the highest heights that Morrissey hit with say a song like I Know It's Over.

Comment

I vote The Cure...

Comment

Comment

Prefer the cure

Used to like the smith's but I'm not depressed anymore so can't get anything out of it

Comment

Working...
                      X