Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atheists:Does this song offend you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religious people. Does this song offend you?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7qaSxuZUg

(Sorry, not sure how to embed videos)

Perhaps you've only heard the horrific edited version some US radio stations used, which cut out the lines about religion and in some cases added in a line about all the people being under one God. John Lennon says it perfectly, even if the song is perhaps a better piece of poetry than music.

Comment

Originally posted by OASIS_LAD View Post
      I prefered the B-Side - "The corpse of my kid is slowly rotting away under some damp earth"
      Ouch.

To answer the question, no, the song does not offend me in the least. Everybody is entitled to believe what they want to believe. It does make me think he is rather small minded, and needs to come to grips with reality, as Kayjay already pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P Opinion View Post
        Religious people. Does this song offend you?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7qaSxuZUg

(Sorry, not sure how to embed videos)

Perhaps you've only heard the horrific edited version some US radio stations used, which cut out the lines about religion and in some cases added in a line about all the people being under one God. John Lennon says it perfectly, even if the song is perhaps a better piece of poetry than music.
        I've known many Religious people who were deeply offended by that song. I'm not sure if it's the message of the song, the way Lennon words it, or if it's just a case of hatred for Lennon for what he said about the Beatles being more popular than Christ.

Probably a combination of all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by TucanMcGinty View Post
          I've known many Religious people who were deeply offended by that song. I'm not sure if it's the message of the song, the way Lennon words it, or if it's just a case of hatred for Lennon for what he said about the Beatles being more popular than Christ.

Probably a combination of all 3.
          I don't know why people got so up-in-arms about that 'more popular than Jesus' comment. He was just explaining how huge the Beatles were getting in terms of their popularity, he wasn't condemning Christ or saying they were BETTER than Christ.

well as PT Barnum said, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the american public. this furore did originate in america did it not

Comment

Originally posted by Knighte View Post
            I don't know why people got so up-in-arms about that 'more popular than Jesus' comment. He was just explaining how huge the Beatles were getting in terms of their popularity, he wasn't condemning Christ or saying they were BETTER than Christ.

well as PT Barnum said, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the american public. this furore did originate in america did it not
            I agree with what you are saying. I am Christian and I am not offended by that statement. I know we don't like comparing anything to God but he wasn't meaning it with any harm. The Beatles were larger than life.

Comment

Does not offend me at all, although I do believe in G-d, I disregard the idea of the afterlife.

Comment

Comment

i love this song, really sad though.

Comment

Why not? He's talking about a fictional place and that shouldn't be accepted in society. Every atheist I have ever met has been more pushy than anyone that I know that believes in god. You guys should be running for the hills right about now.
                    Monty Python do a song about Camelot, and that one doesn't offend me either. Tears in Heaven is a great song, I don't have to agree with the theology of a song to appreciate the melody or the sentiment.

Christmas and Easter must be pretty empty and emotionless holidays for the likes of you, Squealpiggy.
                    Christmas is a great time, for family and feasting and gifts. I don't particularly celebrate Easter though I enjoy the turkey dinners. But you have to remember that the contemporary gods of Christmas and Easter are a fat man and a rabbit respectively.

I'll bet you attend church services though.. just to keep dad and mom happy?
                    Absolutely not. I'm fairly sure that my dad, nominally Anglican, is probably an atheist and my mum, confirmed Catholic, doesn't regularly attend church either. I should probably mention that I don't live in the same continent as my folks, I'm in my thirties and I have a wife and child. I have this feeling that you are painting me as some sort of basement dwelling adolescent and I would hate for you to labour under any further false assumptions.

I don't know why people got so up-in-arms about that 'more popular than Jesus' comment. He was just explaining how huge the Beatles were getting in terms of their popularity, he wasn't... saying they were BETTER than Christ.
                    But they were. Christ didn't even have a number one single, the Beatles had tons of great tunes.

Comment

Working...
                    X