No announcement yet.

OUCH, FF13 only gets an 8.4 on IGN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Turned based rpgs stopped being relevant years ago. Just picking skills from a list and look at the characters do it was fine back in the day but in 2010 it ****ing sucks.

Games have evolved and turn based combat systems don't seem so apppealing when you compare them to Oblivion, Fable or Mass effect 2.

I had not followed FF 13 but i was sure i was going to buy it. I didn't play FF12 but i heard the combat was much more hands on, so i figuered FF13 would be even better.

But no, they take a step back and go to turn based combat once again. So i won't even bother. Plus from all the reviews they say the first 20-30 hours are linear. The point of rpgs are NOT to be linear. If i want linear i'll play a shooter and atleast the action will be fun.
    I'm with Equilibrium on this one..!

Comment

I actually like turn based, I'm more concerned with the lack of sidequests, I'll buy it anyway

Comment

Don't even remember the last Turn-Based RPG I played.

Real-Time is where its at this point.

If its Turn-Based it has to be very creative to draw me in. I'm not going to buy it just because it has a name attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
          Don't even remember the last Turn-Based RPG I played.

Real-Time is where its at this point.

If its Turn-Based it has to be very creative to draw me in. I'm not going to buy it just because it has a name attached to it.
          If it's real time, then it has to be done very well, imo Oblivion, and Fallout 3 is not done well, both are very good games DESPITE their combat, Mass Effect 2 has the best real time combat in any rpg game in my opinion.

I like the tactical, chess match type combat that a good turn based system provides.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
            If it's real time, then it has to be done very well, imo Oblivion, and Fallout 3 is not done well, both are very good games DESPITE their combat, Mass Effect 2 has the best real time combat in any rpg game in my opinion.

I like the tactical, chess match type combat that a good turn based system provides.
            I haven't played any of those games.

I was thinking more among the lines of Star Ocean(1, 2, 3, or 4), the Tales Of... series(Tales of Symphonia was an awesome game), Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Secret of Mana., etc... All the combat is real time.

Comment

One I don't take into account anything other than IGN US.

And two since when is 8.4 a bad score?

Comment

Originally posted by Ether View Post
                ****tt, Gamespot gave it a 8.5. Owned.

ME2 just might be RPG of the year, not sure if fallout vegas will top it.. and FFversus 13 won't make it this year.
                RPG of the year is way too early to count
                FF14, Fable 3, Alpha Protocol, Resonance Of Fate (perhaps), 3D Dot Game Heroes among others.

Mass Effect 2 was excellent (just finished it) but there are still plenty of great RPG's left and still a year to go.

Comment

You didn't think the VATS system was good? I thought it was excellent, Oblivion had good combat too personally.

I just HATE turn based games, they drain the flow of the game. In fact the only turn based game this Gen that I REALLY enjoyed was Valkyria Chronicles if you can even call it that. All others just felt obsolete. The Turn Based RPG is dying because it's and outdated mechanic. There will still be the niche turn based RPG but it's dying out on the home console. The DS is probably where they will turn up most.

Personally, I found FF10 tedious as well. FF12 was a much improved battle system that I truly enjoyed. Also, I slogged through ff10 with my reward being Tidus crying for the millionth time?

And while Mass Effect 2 is technically a real time combat system it's not an RPG system. Mass Effect is part TPS and part RPG the real time combat system is really a third person shooter with some biotic powers. Personally, I think KOTOR has the best real time battle system of any RPG.

Comment

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1074667p2.html

A big hitter like this wants a 9 at the very least.
                    Dont matter to me, it looks like is like FF-X wich I loved very much, you cant always pay atention to those reviews, go for what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
                      You didn't think the VATS system was good? I thought it was excellent, Oblivion had good combat too personally.

I just HATE turn based games, they drain the flow of the game. In fact the only turn based game this Gen that I REALLY enjoyed was Valkyria Chronicles if you can even call it that. All others just felt obsolete. The Turn Based RPG is dying because it's and outdated mechanic. There will still be the niche turn based RPG but it's dying out on the home console. The DS is probably where they will turn up most.

Personally, I found FF10 tedious as well. FF12 was a much improved battle system that I truly enjoyed. Also, I slogged through ff10 with my reward being Tidus crying for the millionth time?

And while Mass Effect 2 is technically a real time combat system it's not an RPG system. Mass Effect is part TPS and part RPG the real time combat system is really a third person shooter with some biotic powers. Personally, I think KOTOR has the best real time battle system of any RPG.

I thought Vats was good, but other than that the combat was bad, same with oblivion, the combat had no "impact" to it, hitting some guy 5 times with an axe before he falls over just seemed weird, it's different in turn based imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X