Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Beyer KO video is good for training!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beyer KO video is good for training!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIIIXtjEv-A&eurl=

Markus Beyer got himself KO'd by being stupid! You will see him throw the straight left as Kessler pulls straight back with his hands down and out of postion for the counter. Beyer should have run him down. But what does he do? Beyer stops, repostions himself and shoots the lazy jab. Kessler then distracted Beyer with a jab over the jab and nailed him with the straight right. Shouldn't have happened, but it did.

One of the best ways to learn boxing is to study the other man's mistakes and avoid repeating them!

Originally posted by potatoes View Post

One of the best ways to learn boxing is to study the other man's mistakes and avoid repeating them!
    Yeah, but the best way to learn boxing is to box.

Comment

Markus Beyer got himself KO'd by being stupid! You will see him throw the straight left as Kessler pulls straight back with his hands down and out of postion for the counter. Beyer should have run him down. But what does he do? Beyer stops, repostions himself and shoots the lazy jab. Kessler then distracted Beyer with a jab over the jab and nailed him with the straight right. Shouldn't have happened, but it did.

Actually Kessler pulls a little to the (his own) right, both from the left Beyer initially attacks with, and then from the jab, the which is normally the "wrong" way to avoid a southpaw. But in this instance it's perfect, because he gets an angle on Beyer, that allows him to stay in range to throw the counter 1-2. Quite the smart move by Kessler, but I guess you'd rather blame it on Beyer, than give credit to Kessler.

As for your claim that he pulls back "with his hands down and out of position for the counter," look again. His left is down, but his right is where it should be, ready to be fired. As I said before, he pulls to his right, which in my view is to position himself in perfect range to throw a counter. When Beyer throws the jab (which looks quite vicious, not at all "lazy") Kessler has an angle where he can just move his head to avoid it, and still be in range to throw the 1-2. Obviously, in hindsight, for Beyer to throw that jab was a mistake, but I give credit to Kessler's defensive work for setting him up. Kessler definitely knew what he was doing, and I think you missed what was going on in that sequence completely.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
        Actually Kessler pulls a little to the (his own) right, both from the left Beyer initially attacks with, and then from the jab, the which is normally the "wrong" way to avoid a southpaw. But in this instance it's perfect, because he gets an angle on Beyer, that allows him to stay in range to throw the counter 1-2. Quite the smart move by Kessler, but I guess you'd rather blame it on Beyer, than give credit to Kessler.

As for your claim that he pulls back "with his hands down and out of position for the counter," look again. His left is down, but his right is where it should be, ready to be fired. As I said before, he pulls to his right, which in my view is to position himself in perfect range to throw a counter. When Beyer throws the jab (which looks quite vicious, not at all "lazy") Kessler has an angle where he can just move his head to avoid it, and still be in range to throw the 1-2. Obviously, in hindsight, for Beyer to throw that jab was a mistake, but I give credit to Kessler's defensive work for setting him up. Kessler definitely knew what he was doing, and I think you missed what was going on in that sequence completely.

I didn't miss anything, and I am willing to give Kessler full credit for exploiting Beyer's mistake. But it was the mistake that led to the knockout, Kessler just did his job like a professional boxer should. It is obvious Kessler did his homework and was waiting for the chance to hit Beyer with that straight. Beyer has any number of flaws in his style and Kessler seemed to know every last one of them! To tell you the truth I think this fight portends what might happen if Kessler faces Calzaghe. Although Calzaghe is pretty damn good, there are lots of flaws for Kessler to exploit.

Comment

I didn't miss anything, and I am willing to give Kessler full credit for exploiting Beyer's mistake. But it was the mistake that led to the knockout, Kessler just did his job like a professional boxer should. It is obvious Kessler did his homework and was waiting for the chance to hit Beyer with that straight. Beyer has any number of flaws in his style and Kessler seemed to know every last one of them! To tell you the truth I think this fight portends what might happen if Kessler faces Calzaghe. Although Calzaghe is pretty damn good, there are lots of flaws for Kessler to exploit.
          Alright, I guess we do see eye to eye on this then. I think the Calzaghe-Kessler fight could end up with one of two major themes:

1. Kessler is able to dictate the fight with his jab and ring generalship. UD or late round stoppage Kessler

or

2. Calzaghe's so fast and high paced, Kessler gets on his abck foot, has a hard time getting set to throw his straight punches, which really are his strength. UD or late round stoppage Calzaghe.

In all honesty, I think it's impossible for anyone to tell, until they're actually doing it in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
            Alright, I guess we do see eye to eye on this then. I think the Calzaghe-Kessler fight could end up with one of two major themes:

1. Kessler is able to dictate the fight with his jab and ring generalship. UD or late round stoppage Kessler

or

2. Calzaghe's so fast and high paced, Kessler gets on his abck foot, has a hard time getting set to throw his straight punches, which really are his strength. UD or late round stoppage Calzaghe.

In all honesty, I think it's impossible for anyone to tell, until they're actually doing it in the ring.

One thing I have always noticed in these old guys is that theere is one fight which portends the decline. Roy Jones for example was acclaimed by most of the so called experts to have fought brilliantly against John Ruiz. That is not what I saw. He had so solution to the huggybear style other than having Jay Nady as the referee. What about the uppercut that I predicted Jones would throw to knockout Ruiz? Apparently I got that one wrong! Jones was slow, inactive and didn't seem interested in the fight. The only reason he won is because Ruiz didn't do much.

Calzaghe vs. Bika is another great training tape. Calzaghe committed nearly every boxing sin in the book and Bika let him get away with it! It was awfull to watch. If Calzaghe tries that against Kessler, I don't see Kessler letting him off so easy.

Comment

Working...
            X