No announcement yet.

Sparred a Heavy Weight Tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparred a Heavy Weight Tonight

I am 5'8" 160 lbs I have been trimming down I should get down to 150 soon with ease. I started boxing in June and been going 5 days a week ever since. Today I got to the gym and starting warming up with my trainer next to me and seen a new heavy guy sparring this one guy that I know is at least 190lbs. Then another trainer was like "hey you, wanna get some work?" I just point at my trainer as to not look like a ***** and my trainer who barley speaks any english is like "con ese gallo no te voy a meter porque es professional y ya tiene muchas peleas"...which is like that cat is a pro and has many fights theres now way im putting you in there with a pro heavy weight. So I kept hit the bag for another 3 rounds and they call me out again, so I look at my trainer and I am like you said boxing is about heart too so I am gonna do it, and he was like I don't think you should..hes got 60 pounds on you, but maybe you will finally learn why you should always keep your hands up .

Anyway I get in there and it was obvious that he was holding alot back on his punches, I went four rounds with him. The first two was me trying to box his socks off, in the third he tried cutting the ring off and in the fourth I was dead tired but managed to keep my distances. I worked my jab alot I don't think I have ever thrown in that much which is good, I timed the right hand well but he would from time to time say nice shot but wheres the left hook after it, I was too busy trying to get in and out. I was able to land a few good body shots and a few upper cuts. Despite him taking it easy, I got my first bloody noise, but I got some respect from the rest of the guys that were too scared to get in there. You can actually learn alot from pros and guys with experience that are simply trying to get work in and not trying to knock your head off. He ended up going about 15 rounds with a few of us, I got him in the middle. Really nice guy, my trainer said I was crazy but did really well and why didn't I always fight like that, I was like I was never that scared to get caught. He said he fought in Vegas I am gonna look him up and check out his record.

Not recommending to spar heavies, and I told my trainer I wouldn't stand and trade so he let me do it, but if they want to work and teach a thing or too in the ring its a good work out. By the way at our Gym the timmer goes 3 minute rounds, and I don't usually get dead tired but I was light on my feet the whole fight never stood and traded.
    Last edited by cybernica; 10-11-2006, 12:03 AM.

sounds good man. glad u learned a bit and the heavy didnt go ballistic.

Comment

Originally posted by mgkirkpatrick View Post
      sounds good man. glad u learned a bit and the heavy didnt go ballistic.

Yea I caught him really good only twice LOL, but both times I was like OH **** why did I just do that...and then got on the bike for a while LOL

Comment

haha good thinkin
        thats probably why he was askin about the left hook.. wanted u to stick around..

Comment

mg I was thinking the same thing. about the left hook

but yeah, props, always good to get in there and learn without eating too much leather

Comment

Originally posted by cybernica View Post
            You can actually learn alot from pros and guys with experience that are simply trying to get work in and not trying to knock your head off.
            I like sparring with the "big guys" at my gym, whether they're the amateurs (the only pros at our gym work as trainers) or just more experienced fighters. I've found the majority of experienced, skilled boxers to be gracious and patient.

Comment

Here is who I sparred Ed is a cool cat I guess that makes him 15-3-1

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=093193

Comment

Working...
              X