No announcement yet.

Angles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angles

I don't quite understand the concept and techniques to create and use angles when attacking and defending

Can anyone help out ?

Cheers

From my understanding, the concept of "using angles" on offense simply means positioning yourself such that you have more clear punching options than your opponent has defenses. Its hard to explain without showing, but here's an example; If your opponent is continually throwing big right hooks from an orthodox stance, your best "angle" on him is this (in the situation) - slip low and to your left. It opens up his ribs, abdomen, and right side of the head. Other angles of attack would not allow you to have as many punch/connect location combos.

On defense, angles are just the inverse. It involves studying the attack of your opponent and minimizing the damage. The object is just to minimize your exposure to whatever style your opponent is engaging in. If he is a sweeping outside fighter, his available angles are the sides of your head and your flanks.

Often its hard to seperate the concept of offensive and defensive angles because it changes so quickly. Defensive angles can become counter or offensive angles as soon as your opponent finishes a punch or gives something away. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

simply apply your old school geometry from school to the forms of attacking and defending.

this alone should be everything you need once you apply it in sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterp View Post
        I don't quite understand the concept and techniques to create and use angles when attacking and defending

Can anyone help out ?

Cheers

If you are a boxer in training then your trainer should have explained this already. If not, then get some tapes of good technical boxers and observe carefully how they position themselves relative to their opponents. Angles and the optimum leverage created by correct postioning are easily demonstrated by not easily explained.

Comment

Working...
        X