No announcement yet.

Finding a boxing gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a boxing gym

Im a little unsure of how to get into boxing, im not in shape at the moment but im working on it,

should i go to a gym now

or

get into shape and then go to the gym

Im going to get a punching bag soon but iv read somewere that if you dont know how to box you can learn to punch wrong and get into bad habits.
    But i chould work on my punching and get into shape and then learn how to properlly box later.

Also i live in cheltenham, and iv looked on the internet and the yellow pages and i can find any gyms near me, any sergestions?

Do not take the bag work too seriously before you haven't learned how to properly throw the punches.
    Concentrate on running, sit-ups, bodyweight squats, push-ups, dips, skipping the rope, ...

Then look for a gym that hasat least 90% ex-convicts in there. They will make a fighter out of you.

The Italic text is meant to be funny. The rest is serious.

Comment

My advice is to first check out a few gyms. start here. http://www.boxinggyms.com/addressbook.htm
      Go in and talk to the trainers. Ask every question you can think of the only dumb question is the one not asked.
      It certainly wouldn't hurt to start doing some of your non-skills training now. By non skills I mean NO heavybag yet. Though long distance runs are not very helpful to boxing try yourself out on a good 2-3 mile run. do some sprints while doing it to test your endurance. Pushups, Mtn climbers body weight squats and lunges are a good idea. Do what you can of each in a 3 min period. Give yourself a min to rest inbetween each exersize.
      Get to that gym. Be very attentive when it comes to your skills training there. Your trainer will help you find a routine to do at home for endurance and strength training.

Comment

i went to my gym without bring in shape. after a month i got used to it and i was more excited seeing that things like bag work jump rope and mitts was becoming easier.

Comment

lol boxing looks pritty slim where i come from, still got some good places left to look, but all i have found is cardio boxing at the YMCA witch i dont really want to do and im working when the class is on...

Comment

Originally posted by killerl1g View Post
            Im a little unsure of how to get into boxing, im not in shape at the moment but im working on it,

should i go to a gym now

or

get into shape and then go to the gym

Im going to get a punching bag soon but iv read somewere that if you dont know how to box you can learn to punch wrong and get into bad habits.
            But i chould work on my punching and get into shape and then learn how to properlly box later.

Also i live in cheltenham, and iv looked on the internet and the yellow pages and i can find any gyms near me, any sergestions?

These days there aren't many boxing clubs, so it is very likely that you will just have to take what you can get. If there isn't a boxing club in your area, then you are on your own. Lots of great champions started with a homemade gym in the garage or basement or wherever. If you have talent and motivation you can go a long way. There is no substitute for a good trainer, but if he ain't there you gotta have another plan.

Comment

Working...
            X