No announcement yet.

NEED help everytime i throw a puch i lose balance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED help everytime i throw a puch i lose balance

i been in the gym for a month now and i been hitting the bag and my speed is slow also just started hitting the mitts and everytime i throw jabs i lose my balance. what do i do about this. i was thinking about buying some bands to help me with my speed and the fast feet from title boxing if this will help. iam looking at title boxing web site now. lol:

The jab should not be a power punch. You're probably leaning into it; it seems that most people do until they've been boxing awhile. Your back should be upright and the jab should flick out and back without pulling any bodyweight behind it. I was taught that the force of the jab comes from pulling it back; to think of it as snapping a towel. SMACK! Fast, light, and loud.

There is a time and a place for a heavy jab, but it is not a heavy punch most of the time.

Comment

will the bands help me with my speed.

Comment

Probably not. Speed comes from technique, and the power of the straight punches (jab & cross) come from speed. Learn to throw your punches right, and you'll eventually be able to throw them fast.

I felt like a five-year-old learning ballet for my first couple months at the gym. I thought I was hopeless but I stuck with it and learned to do it right. You've got to do the same.

Comment

i got the same problem but it is throwing the straight while on the move. should you plant then throw ur straight or can you throw out there quick while on the move?

Comment

You should be able to do both. It's going to depend on timing and foot position.

You guys need to be taking this up with your trainers or the more experienced guys at your gym. Maybe someone else here can explain it well enough that you can get a good mental picture.

Comment

I have the same problem with the straight right because I got double talk from the trainers. They say to step with the jab, but should I step with the right too? And do you always have to do the "putting out the cigarrette" foot pivot if its uncomfortable for you?

Comment

i don't have a trainer. i train with another guy. the shortest trip to a boxing gym is two hours a way. about the punch i was messing around this weekend on the double end bag and it seemed like i was trying to swing through it to much and i adjusted to throw a shorter straight and it seemed like that could be it. i don't know

Comment

Okay. My bad.

You guys need one of the pros into this thread at this point, though. I'm stepping out of this -- I've been boxing just long enough to get into bad habits and I don't want to pass those on.

Comment

I have the same probeblem its like i cnt turn to throw a three punch combo i think its because i am using too much power with every punch and need to relaxe and let it flow off the jab.

Comment

Working...
                    X