No announcement yet.

Why Do I Box?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do I Box?

As I enter an extreme state of philosophical thought, I reflect upon my decision to box, with a friend of mine who got onto the subject with me.

If you got time, read it. It explains things a lot of things. his comments are in red, mine are just black. I simplified it and took out all the uneccesary name tags from msn etc. So its just the pure convo (a snippet of it).

- It all boils down to the sporting pinnacle of my life, boxing, if we are gonna go deep into this actually ... prince naseem hamed and chris eubank ... both idols of mine who i think have had such a positive effect on the way I look at the world that we live in.

- Boxing has made me I think.

- Its real hard to explain to someone who isnt stuck in the same philosophy/philosophical thoughts as me but boxing has basically decided my life.

- And changed a whole load of things

- Its not just fighting... its made a difference to my relationship with people for example...

- Its quite amazing how something so unrelated changed my life I think... when I first joined it was just a sport... It has turned me into a calm, collected, occasionally thoughtful, confident person --- these are my opinions

- hmm

- it has revolutionised your life then

- Exactly

- But look at it at face value

- Its a sport

- Now in your head philosophise it, it makes a load of sense

- A sport based around gladiating, the epitome of human struggle in a ring

- except boxing is far too technical to be anything remotely like gladiating

- Yes true, but esentially it is fighting ... and surviving

- And winning

- Now do you see the link to life?

- My life in particular

- And my refusal to accept second

- And ambitious nature that has dawned on me of late

- Man, its far too complex, perhaps it sounds too overanalysed to you i dunno ... but to me boxing = life

- Boxing is life -- it encompasses everything about life ... and its just hitting people initially

- Quite amazing

- hmm

- Chris eubank has had too much of an impact on me but its positive

- At least im not slinging drugs

- thats very true

- If you listen to that man he is so clever

- I respect you so much for that, staying off the drugs [...]

- Yeah, boxing again

- Self discipline

- Self confidence

- I am basically adequate enough in my mind to know not to touch cigarettes or drugs or any harmful **** ...
    Theres a good argument for the anyone on their PC high horse. Boxing has many positive affects.

Before people jump in and talk some **** about what I said in this private convo with my friend, remember that this is my true thoughts. I was talking to a trustworthy friend, and someone who I speak differently to, to people on here. Basically, I dont want people coming in and talking **** about the Eubank comments and all the predictable "JuyJuy" entailments that I expect from those. But this thread was inspired by that thread about why do people box... this is my answer. An answer formulated at a time I was feeling reflective.

Peace.
    Last edited by Exige Jr; 08-29-2006, 06:41 PM.

Thats interesting indeed. I feel the same way about boxing as you do.

Comment

Im not trying to be an ******* or anything, but you sounded really smart in the snippet and you used a lot of big words, but in the comment afterwards you said, "This is my true thoughts." - improper grammar. Just pointing it out, but yea it is a good conversation with positive thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rky_Marshymllow
        As I enter an extreme state of philosophical thought, I reflect upon my decision to box, with a friend of mine who got onto the subject with me.

If you got time, read it. It explains things a lot of things. his comments are in red, mine are just black. I simplified it and took out all the uneccesary name tags from msn etc. So its just the pure convo (a snippet of it).

Theres a good argument for the anyone on their PC high horse. Boxing has many positive affects.

Before people jump in and talk some **** about what I said in this private convo with my friend, remember that this is my true thoughts. I was talking to a trustworthy friend, and someone who I speak differently to, to people on here. Basically, I dont want people coming in and talking **** about the Eubank comments and all the predictable "JuyJuy" entailments that I expect from those. But this thread was inspired by that thread about why do people box... this is my answer. An answer formulated at a time I was feeling reflective.

Peace.
        Interesting thoughts.

Boxing helps you to remember that you actually are alive when faced with a possible deadly situation time and time again. When its going down I have never felt more alive.

Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman18
          Im not trying to be an ******* or anything, but you sounded really smart in the snippet and you used a lot of big words, but in the comment afterwards you said, "This is my true thoughts." - improper grammar. Just pointing it out, but yea it is a good conversation with positive thoughts.

Being a fighter, most people would never even comment on an improper statement. And being a fighter, most people would not expect proper grammar. Stereotypical but true.

Rockin'

Comment

Why wouldn't a fighter expect proper grammar? Are you suggesting that fighters get brain damage and are stupid, therefore shouldn't be expected to speak or write correctly? Or are you JUST SAYING?

Comment

Yeah, when I had the conversation I was concentrating.

When I posted this up afterwards I was tired. I admit I make lots of mistakes when im tired. However there is nothing at stake here, so it doesnt make a difference to me.

Comment

but boxing has basically decided my life.

- Its not just fighting... its made a difference to my relationship with people for example...
                i dont get how you can say this , when you aint had a fight.
                you might totally hate the sport after your first few fights.
                i know yer gonna disagree with me but it does happen.
                and i aint trying to be a dick.
                peace

Comment

Originally posted by Manfredo Jr
                  but boxing has basically decided my life.

i dont get how you can say this , when you aint had a fight.
                  you might totally hate the sport after your first few fights.
                  i know yer gonna disagree with me but it does happen.
                  and i aint trying to be a dick.
                  peace
                  Dude I have probably done over 200 rounds of sparring, easy, and I have only boxed for a year. I know what boxing involves.

Comment

In the words of Naseem Hamed, someone who I mentioned in that conversation with my friend.

"As soon I stepped in the gym at the age of 7, I knew it was the sport for me".

You sir, are misunderstood.

Comment

Working...
                    X