No announcement yet.

Sparred for the first time from a 3 week injury

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparred for the first time from a 3 week injury

Well, 4 weeks ago I got a big muscle virus in my back that I couldn't even lift myself out of bed. After the first week of pain killers and IcyHot, it was good enough for me to jumprope, shadowbox, speed bag, light work on heavy bag, but no sparring. So I did all the bag work for 3 weeks and I got better and them and technique during shadowboxing and my conditioning was better.

So today I go spar and notice how bad I am and I completely messed up on everything and missed so many good shots. So even though my conditioning, stamina was better, my skill that get's better during sparring sucked.

Summary: All the bag and pad work can't make up for no sparring.

That sucks man >< back injuries aren't fun

I cant really put input in i havnt sparred yet hopefully next week i been boxing for exactly a month on monday

Comment

Good Luck!!

First time you spar, don't get discouraged. There were 3 kids who sparred, got hurt, and never came back. EVERYONE get's whooped the first day

Comment

Nah i ownt get whooped the trainers at my gym are really nice, first time its just 1round and the other person goes light jabs at you a few times and counters. THere is a guy who joined a week before me i watched him spar this week looks fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpman_jones
          Nah i ownt get whooped the trainers at my gym are really nice, first time its just 1round and the other person goes light jabs at you a few times and counters. THere is a guy who joined a week before me i watched him spar this week looks fun.
          You're lucky. My first time was 2, 3 minute rounds against an ex-pro. He was the only one at my weight. His jabs were making me dizzy.

Comment

Originally posted by NJFighter91
            You're lucky. My first time was 2, 3 minute rounds against an ex-pro. He was the only one at my weight. His jabs were making me dizzy.
            lol..damn. my first time was against a first timer, after the first minute we through caution to the wind..looked more like a tough man competition then boxing..

Comment

Lucky. But the thing is for me, I'm a beginner. Today was the 2nd time 've sparred. I started boxing, after 2 months I sparred, next week I got injured, and now I spar again. So I'm still new. The first time was the ex-pro like I said and today was against a first timer but he was really good supposeidly. That's what the other heavyweights were saying, like he was a natural and stuff. So I don't feel THAT bad.

Comment

Just realized this...

I got punched 3-4 times HARD in my face but I tried not to bring my head up. Now my neck is really sore. I'm gonna start doing neck bridges from now on

Comment

Normally i dont even use what I've been working on the bag when I spar. I go to my basics, which consist of feingts ,movement, and well placed power jabs. its just my style, i think about whats best for me and prefer to not get hit and mix it up with guys with short arms who can hit harder. When I work the bag I train everything, inside work, body work and all kinds of stuff, but when I spar, the only big punches I land most of the time are just big jabs and occassionally if I catch my opponent with the ropes to his right, i'll pack down his lead hand while my head is down low and come in with a big right hand downstairs. ive learned to only do that when my man is trapped tho. otherwise after I land that big punch once they get smart and start backing to their right looking to counter me after i miss my wide winging right hand downstairs

Don't get discouraged NJ. Keep at it, next time you spar remember to mix in some feingts and I guarantee you'll do better. a predictable fighter is an easy match
                  Last edited by SquareCircle; 08-19-2006, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the words man.

I tried doing basic stuff and mostly used my jab, right, 1 or 2 hooks, and some feints and bobbing my head.

After I threw my jabs, he would always just come on and throw left/right hooks crazy swinging. I moved out of the way for a few but I still couldn't stop them.

Comment

Working...
                    X