No announcement yet.

How to train right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to train right?

Whats up everyone? Im new here and i was hoping to get some advice. Im 25 and i started boxing like 2 years ago. I would like to eventually compete in amateur and want to start training more like a boxer. Im athletically built but I have spent most of my life lifting. Im not huge, 5 9 and 158lbs. But im used to lifting heavy and have meaty arms. Id like to tone them more to increase speed and stamina when i spar or hit pads. What kind of strength training can i do for this? I already gave up heavy lifting but im not sure what to supplement with? Body weight stuff? Low weight high reps? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Garciaja View Post
    Whats up everyone? Im new here and i was hoping to get some advice. Im 25 and i started boxing like 2 years ago. I would like to eventually compete in amateur and want to start training more like a boxer. Im athletically built but I have spent most of my life lifting. Im not huge, 5 9 and 158lbs. But im used to lifting heavy and have meaty arms. Id like to tone them more to increase speed and stamina when i spar or hit pads. What kind of strength training can i do for this? I already gave up heavy lifting but im not sure what to supplement with? Body weight stuff? Low weight high reps? Thanks in advance.
    Bodyweight stuff and running is tried and true.

Pushups, pull-ups, situps, dips, squats, lunges...can't go wrong with that for boxing strength training.
    Dempsey1895_ TheDempseyKid likes this.

Comment

2 years and you've yet to have a single bout? What, are you fighting out of the old Kronk stable?..........Rockin'

Comment

The best thing that you could do is train EVERYTHING for endurance. Instant explosion through the muscles is great, but you will have to do it more than just once. .........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          2 years and you've yet to have a single bout? What, are you fighting out of the old Kronk stable?..........Rockin'
          Haha i took a charity fight november of last year. And i count the last 7 months as training because i still did shadow boxing and bag work even though i stayed away from gyms due to covid. I started going to the gym a few weeks ago again and want to take it more seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Bodyweight stuff and running is tried and true.

Pushups, pull-ups, situps, dips, squats, lunges...can't go wrong with that for boxing strength training.
            Cool. Thanks man. In your experience, you think weighted squats are a pro or con? My running endurance is solid right now

Comment

Cool. Thanks man. In your experience, you think weighted squats are a pro or con? My running endurance is solid right now
              I hate feeling like my legs are heavy when I spar. I want them light and nimble and ready to move in any direction at a moment's notice.

Doing too many bodyweight squats sometimes gives me that big, thick, heavy-legged feeling. I imagine that weighted squats would as well.

That's my experience, anyway. You might be different.
              Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 10-18-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                I hate feeling like my legs are heavy when I spar. I want them light and nimble and ready to move in any direction at a moment's notice.

Doing too many bodyweight squats sometimes gives me that big, thick, heavy-legged feeling. I imagine that weighted squats would as well.

That's my experience, anyway. You might be different.
                I squated 310lbs my senior year while fighting at 139. I don't know if the boxing or running made my legs strong, but they were.
                I never saw a reduction in movement or anything negative........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  I squated 310lbs my senior year while fighting at 139. I don't know if the boxing or running made my legs strong, but they were.
                  I never saw a reduction in movement or anything negative........Rockin'
                  Well, there you go. Different people are going to react differently to training.

My thighs tend to bulk up pretty easily so I'm careful not to overdo leg training beyond what is necessary.

Comment

My approach was when I was at the boxing club was about the skill and craft. Improving and honing that.

When I was outside the gym. That's when I did my miles, my strength training.

Did my cardio and strength training in the morning, walked to the boxing club in the evening, warmed up with skipping for six rounds (till my knee got tendonitis, then I stopped skipping totally), shadow boxed (mirror whatever) for 6 rounds; 3 rounds both stances. Then did the mitts, heavy bag, double end, mexican double end after that.

Mitts was the only inconsistent thing because it depended on who I was working with. Some people were short on time, other times they had their own work to do etc.

But heavy bag, double end, mx double end, even the uppercut bag. I did that for about 3 rounds each both stances.

I didn't throw a single punch in the gym until about 6 rounds of skipping and 2 rounds of footwork drilling were complete. That's 24 minutes in the gym without a single punch thrown.

I was specific with my approach. Heavy bag, I was putting 300 punches on the bag each round. Double end bag? I would stand as close as my full reach would let me, so that if I didn't sway, I'd get hit in the face by it. But the last round was always burn out, high reps, and turning out the punches.

MX Double end bag, I messed around on, I admit. I just tried to stay active for rounds with that, working on fundamentals of technique. Circling. Jabs, up and down. Basic combinations. Cause that's all it can really take.

Uppercut bag, was just drilling for rounds. That was just going hard with uppercuts. I'd do hooks on that as well but it was more about technique and timing as the bag rotated.

Everything was about 3 rounds both stances minus sparring and mitts. I didn't spar both stances or hit the mitts both stances but everything else, I trained both sides.

But that was my approach. I used to mimic Nonito's or Marquez's "reported" training sessions but it was impractical for me after a certain point.

I adjusted it, to fit me. Cause I wasn't doing cardio at the boxing club, I felt it was a waste of my time to do sit ups there, or run around the block after getting there, when I can do that at home.

I don't do none of that **** no more though. I chose the military instead of a boxing license. Met a Maj. who had connections to the army boxing team but didn't take that opportunity. Should have– but I was a dumb kid content with where I was and squandered the chance.
                    Last edited by F l i c k e r; 10-19-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X