No announcement yet.

How to train right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garciaja View Post
    Haha i took a charity fight november of last year. And i count the last 7 months as training because i still did shadow boxing and bag work even though i stayed away from gyms due to covid. I started going to the gym a few weeks ago again and want to take it more seriously.
    What state do you live in? ........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      I told a kid that as I was walking, through the crowd, back to the dressing room after I fought at the Palace of Auburn Hills. They approached me as I was leaving the ring, mom was kinda hot! I told her little man that I would give him an autohraph and that I had to shower up but after I do that I will come out and sign a picture for her little man.

I did that and while I was writing it out the kid, he said that he 'wanted to do that too'. I shook my head, no you don't. Stay in school kid. I wrote the same thing on the picture and then signed my name...........Rockin'
      What kind of wage did you get per fight?

I only train for health benefits and self defense, couldn’t be a fighter for money, brutal sport

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
        What kind of wage did you get per fight?

I only train for health benefits and self defense, couldn’t be a fighter for money, brutal sport
        It definately is brutal. But when that's just what you do day in and day out, it doesn't seem so brutal. You become desensitized to it.............Rockin'

Comment

It definately is brutal. But when that's just what you do day in and day out, it doesn't seem so brutal. You become desensitized to it.............Rockin'
          Come on R, what kind of pay did you average per fight?

The amateurs and sparring is fine with me as no one is driven by money, it’s a bit of fun, rarely can get out of control, but it’s a points based system ie a jab landing gets the same points as a hook, but pros are different mindset and different way of winning!

Comment

Come on R, what kind of pay did you average per fight?

The amateurs and sparring is fine with me as no one is driven by money, it’s a bit of fun, rarely can get out of control, but it’s a points based system ie a jab landing gets the same points as a hook, but pros are different mindset and different way of winning!
            The pros that I was introduced to was simply dog eat dog. I was doing well in a tough pool of dawgs. My trainers first task, to break me in. He took me to a gym where the guys just pounded on me daily. That is, until what we were working on started showing signs of improvement. That taught me that when you are in that ring you must control the action.

My type of control was constant aggression. Johnny had asked me before we started up together how I wanted to fight. I told that I wanted to push the fight, to be a crowd pleaser, in the guys face. And that's what I did. Eventually, I was doing it in a great gym of fighters.

I found that I had chosen the tough road. After many years off from the sport I got back in to the ring abit. I tried my aggressive style but found it just too tiring. So one day I was working with Bill Millers guy, he boxed well and was able to keep away from me. So, frustrated, I said F this aggressive **** and went back to my amateur day of walking the ring and controlling with the jab. To my surprise, it was so much easier to fight that way and it was extremely effective.

After that first day of boxing with the walking the ring and jabbing I remember looking over to Bill as my guy took off my headgear. He was leaning against the ropes, looking at me with his mouth open in amazement. I guess that he had never seen me box like that, he had only seen me working up at Galaxy. He later told me that if I was to get in to shape that I could still do something. I took that as a great compliment but , as I told him, I don't believe that I can get in to that kind of shape again and had to just let it go. And that's what I did.........Rockin'

Comment

The pros that I was introduced to was simply dog eat dog. I was doing well in a tough pool of dawgs. My trainers first task, to break me in. He took me to a gym where the guys just pounded on me daily. That is, until what we were working on started showing signs of improvement. That taught me that when you are in that ring you must control the action.

My type of control was constant aggression. Johnny had asked me before we started up together how I wanted to fight. I told that I wanted to push the fight, to be a crowd pleaser, in the guys face. And that's what I did. Eventually, I was doing it in a great gym of fighters.

I found that I had chosen the tough road. After many years off from the sport I got back in to the ring abit. I tried my aggressive style but found it just too tiring. So one day I was working with Bill Millers guy, he boxed well and was able to keep away from me. So, frustrated, I said F this aggressive **** and went back to my amateur day of walking the ring and controlling with the jab. To my surprise, it was so much easier to fight that way and it was extremely effective.

After that first day of boxing with the walking the ring and jabbing I remember looking over to Bill as my guy took off my headgear. He was leaning against the ropes, looking at me with his mouth open in amazement. I guess that he had never seen me box like that, he had only seen me working up at Galaxy. He later told me that if I was to get in to shape that I could still do something. I took that as a great compliment but , as I told him, I don't believe that I can get in to that kind of shape again and had to just let it go. And that's what I did.........Rockin'
              I can’t really talk with much authority as I haven’t been anywhere near pro, but that’s insightful.

Crowd pleasing style probably came with a ton of risk, and also pain!

Jab is underrated, always gives me breathing space and time to recollect my thoughts.

Didn’t Bill train the likes of James Toney.

My biggest issue of doing more than sparring and few amateur rounds against no hopers is I know I won’t get busted up, I have a family and office job so can’t walk in with bruises to my face or cuts.

Brutal sport

Comment

Jab is underrated, always gives me breathing space and time to recollect my thoughts.

Didn’t Bill train the likes of James Toney.
                I didn't realize how easy having a good jab makes a fight. More so I had just forgotten.

Bill did train James and Lindell Holmes as well.......Rockin'

Comment

I didn't realize how easy having a good jab makes a fight. More so I had just forgotten.

Bill did train James and Lindell Holmes as well.......Rockin'
                  Last point is I am sure some guys don’t cut or swell, something to do with their skin thickness?

I get caught with a stiff jab to the my face and I know a bruise is coming, doesn’t hurt at all, but always worried what my 5 year old will make of bruises to the face!!

Comment

Last point is I am sure some guys don’t cut or swell, something to do with their skin thickness?

I get caught with a stiff jab to the my face and I know a bruise is coming, doesn’t hurt at all, but always worried what my 5 year old will make of bruises to the face!!
                    I guess that your face just gets used to it. I don't recall bruising up much anyway. Sure it's happened but not on the daily.......Rockin'

Comment

I guess that your face just gets used to it. I don't recall bruising up much anyway. Sure it's happened but not on the daily.......Rockin'
                      Probably made for boxing! Mines a dead cert if I am hit with anything with some power

Comment

Working...
                      X