No announcement yet.

Positioning help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positioning help

I understand the basic 45 degree stance, but when there is an opponent in front of me this just feels unnatural. It feels like a karate stance almost. After doing some film study, I’ve noticed that a lot of boxers generally have their lead foot placed at their opponents centerline? (May be wrong but this is what I see.). So would a simpler cue than “put your foot here at this angle or whatever” be to just face your opponents center line with the lead foot? Should the back foot face the center line also?

I think you may be looking at it the wrong way. The stance of your feet is relevant to YOUR movement and the way you throw punches. Your positioning is another matter and it's relevant to the way you're either leading or following the opponent.

Don't let the opponent dictate your stance. Your feet need to be at an angle because you will otherwise be less stable. 45 degrees is the most popular because you can thrust both forward and backward while keeping yourself from falling over when pushed or punched from the side.

Now that you have your stance set, how you position yourself to the opponent is a very complex subject and varies depending what you're trying to do at the moment and what you're capable of doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      I think you may be looking at it the wrong way. The stance of your feet is relevant to YOUR movement and the way you throw punches. Your positioning is another matter and it's relevant to the way you're either leading or following the opponent.
      ^^^^^this!

Comment

Working...
      X