No announcement yet.

Fighting a much taller and heavier opponent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting a much taller and heavier opponent

I have a fight coming up against a much taller and heavier opponent. He is 8 inches taller and around 28 - 31kg heavier. Any tips as I've never even sparred with someone this big

Originally posted by welsh_rarebit View Post
    I have a fight coming up against a much taller and heavier opponent. He is 8 inches taller and around 28 - 31kg heavier. Any tips as I've never even sparred with someone this big
    Assuming you are competing in HW?

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
      Assuming you are competing in HW?
      Amateur super heavy

Comment

Danny Jacobs, is that you?

Comment

In general, my tactic would be to get under his punches and work the body. Taller guys like that will show you some openings to the body... then if you start seeing openings up high start to go for the head. Don't stay at a range where your at the end of his long range punches. Its really about the range here. Of course, any good game plan can go out the window once the bell rings. Who knows for sure what he's gonna bring to the table

Comment

Amateur super heavy
            Is he fat like Ruiz or jacked like AJ?

Comment

Is he fat like Ruiz or jacked like AJ?
              He ain't fat like ruiz or jacked like AJ hes kind of between. Like a fury type build

Comment

He ain't fat like ruiz or jacked like AJ hes kind of between. Like a fury type build
                1. Be prepared to move a lot.

2. Go to the body.

3. Feint your way in.

4. Throw overhand shots, taller ones don’t see em too well

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
                  In general, my tactic would be to get under his punches and work the body. Taller guys like that will show you some openings to the body... then if you start seeing openings up high start to go for the head. Don't stay at a range where your at the end of his long range punches. Its really about the range here. Of course, any good game plan can go out the window once the bell rings. Who knows for sure what he's gonna bring to the table
                  I would normally put a lot of pressure on opponents but I don't know if that's going to work againt a guy this big. I wasn't to sure if I should go in and attack then move back out or stay close and move around more.

Comment

1. Be prepared to move a lot.

2. Go to the body.

3. Feint your way in.

4. Throw overhand shots, taller ones don’t see em too well
                    Sounds like a plan. I'm hoping he will be slower and not as fit as me.

Comment

Working...
                    X