No announcement yet.

Sparring help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring help

I’ve been really successful in sparring so far. My coach makes me spar heavier fighters every now and then. I Have my first fight in March. I see that some boxers square up in certain situations like entering the clinch, inside fighting, etc. I tend to have trouble with this. When I enter the clinch, it’s like my mind fails to tell myself to square up for a better clinch position and as a result i get blasted on the inside. It feels awkward trying to clinch in a angled stance, but I always do it no matter how many times I tell myself to not do it. Any tips for this? Is it just simply a lack of body coordination or focus?

Just keep practicing. I don’t think squaring up is always a good idea. Even when caught on the ropes I was taught to keep my stance and
    Angle. If you keep the angle they have to reach to get the body shots on the inside. You can sort of roll your body towards the punch so they catch you with the palm instead of the knuckle to take the impact off the shot.
    For example if someone on the inside throws a left hook I roll my right side towards him with my hand up. Then whenever you catch the punch you can turn back with your own left hook/ uppercut depending on position.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn-nightmarex View Post
      I’ve been really successful in sparring so far. My coach makes me spar heavier fighters every now and then. I Have my first fight in March. I see that some boxers square up in certain situations like entering the clinch, inside fighting, etc. I tend to have trouble with this. When I enter the clinch, it’s like my mind fails to tell myself to square up for a better clinch position and as a result i get blasted on the inside. It feels awkward trying to clinch in a angled stance, but I always do it no matter how many times I tell myself to not do it. Any tips for this? Is it just simply a lack of body coordination or focus?
      When I get too close inside I clinch or dig to the body.

Comment

I don't think it's a lack of focus but I understand why you may think that. Just keep practicing and focusing on clinching and squaring up. Eventually it will become like second nature to you.

Also try and use your angles as well.

In your free time just imagine yourself clinching the correct way and squaring up. You will get it trust me.

Just keep practicing and focusing on improving man. You'll get there.

Comment

Any sparring since?

Comment

It is easy to blame yourself (ie, "lack of focus"), but isn't boxing all about choosing to do what is NOT easy?

I wouldn't worry - some skills come more naturally than others. This isn't a fault in you - it's a fault in all of us. It's human. Keep practicing, pay attention to the direction of your coach, and put in that hard work. It won't be easy, but it will pay off in time.

Comment

Squaring up inside doesn't give you any clinching advantage at all. On the contrary it makes it easier for an opponent to grab you and control your upper body; think about it for a second. If your lead shoulder is in his chest it is much harder for him to stop you from turning your shoulders- punching.

Comment

Working...
              X