No announcement yet.

Slapping punches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slapping punches

A lot of boxers half slap and half punch. It's a common issue with many top boxers. What's the truth on this? Are these illegal punches? E.g. Deontay Wilder slaps a lot by the looks of it but has punching power as well

I don’t understand why that is even illegal

Comment

A lot of time it's just because the opponent is moving. You usually won't see these guys hitting the heavy bag like that. When you go to throw, and the opponent is no longer where your fist is headed, you might have to curve it, which makes a slapping motion. Or, your feet aren't in the right spot. So, the punch turns into a slap.
      Some guys have hand injuries and slap because the knuckle is hurting.

Comment

Originally posted by Outboxxed View Post
        A lot of boxers half slap and half punch. It's a common issue with many top boxers. What's the truth on this? Are these illegal punches? E.g. Deontay Wilder slaps a lot by the looks of it but has punching power as well
        What do you mean half slap? Hitting with the palm?

Comment

Originally posted by Syphus View Post
          What do you mean half slap? Hitting with the palm?
          Yeah with the palm

Comment

Originally posted by Outboxxed View Post
            Yeah with the palm
            Well... I'm no expeet but vertical fist hooks are made longer by hitting with your second knuckles. That could LOOK like hitting with the palm. Ali did it a lot on his jabs, also.

Could also be used to push your opponents away from you or to move someone's head into the way of your straight right.

Or maybe it's kind of an accident... Like they're moving their hand forward for a parry and realize the punch isn't coming, so they push them away instead? Foreman Frankenstein-style...

Hard to know without seeing an example

Comment

You can throw quicker and land more with slap or half punches. Almost like shoe shinning. That’s the only time I would do it. Maybe on the inside to the body when there’s not a lot of room. It’s better than just sitting there on the inside doing nothing like most fighters do.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
                You can throw quicker and land more with slap or half punches. Almost like shoe shinning. That’s the only time I would do it. Maybe on the inside to the body when there’s not a lot of room. It’s better than just sitting there on the inside doing nothing like most fighters do.
                Like Calzaghe.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Like Calzaghe.
                  Hey man, undefeated lol.

I can’t fault the guy. It worked for him.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
                    Hey man, undefeated lol.

I can’t fault the guy. It worked for him.
                    Worked for Ike Turner too.

Comment

Working...
                    X