No announcement yet.

Will I lose power from losing weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Doesn't matter, you can't be fat and box. You will see a few elite guys who are the exception but don't fool yourself into thinking you'll be so lucky. The benefits of being in shape far exceed a little extra power.
    Personally, I'm stronger when I'm leaner because I can shift my body quicker and really crack those punches.
    I agree with Red Foxx here, you always get the odd freak of nature like Andy Ruiz. You want to be at your optimum weight, you're probably so far above it right now, that it will be hard to know what that is, it might not be 152, it might be 160, 168, 175, etc.

Start getting that weight off, then you'll need to start turning fat into muscle too. This could take you a long while, unless you have the free time to go through a Ricky Hatton style camp.

Comment

You'll gain more speed most likely, that may even out your power even if you lose a little bit of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
        So im cutting from 217 to hopefully 152 (I am fat). I can hit hard at this weight and have been told I am a good puncher even for a heavyweight. If I lose all my fat and am a lean 152, I know i wont have as much weight behind my shots but I should still overall have around the same power right? cause ill have much faster delivery, more snap, accuracy etc?
        hey man, I hope you're doing great and cutting weight in a healthy way. if you're cutting that much weight you're definitely going to lose power, but at the same time you're also going to gain speed.

I'm not sure exactly if you're going to have over all the same power but you still should have power obviously, especially if you're focusing on being lean.

Even then the best way to get as much power as possible at that weight is to focus on technique and also being in great shape. Having great technique is going to give you power by itself compared to others without technique.

If you're really worried about your power, there's a mini guide that I personally rean and used that helped me a ton just generating more power not only with tips but with three drills to help as well.

It's short and to-the-point but I really do hope it gives you value like it did for me. Here's the link to it - https://lnkw.co/Punching-Powerminiebook

Comment

I think it doesn't matter.

Comment

power usually carries if your consistent with your training. A couple arm workouts a week and you should fine.

Comment

You will lose power dropping that much, theirs no way around it. Half your power is the weight you have behind your punch. Think of it like this.

Imagine a huge pendulum that weighs 200lbs and you have to stop it dead in it tracks, its gonna be hard huh? but if that pendulum weighs 150 its gonna be easier right? well at least easier than the 200lbs one.

only image I can find to help illustrate use your creative

Now can you lose weight while keeping your tangible strength? yes but thats difficult in itself, you will have to keep your nervous system used to the heavy weight and calculate your macros/calories right so that your not burning muscle rather than fat. If I was you I will eat slightly above maintenance and push it hard in the gym. Low fat, low carbs (only carbs pior to workout) and very high protein.

now the rest is just pretty much up to genetic potential etc.
              Last edited by .!WAR MIKEY!.; 01-28-2020, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
                ^^ Cause I feel like thats where ill end up, fully lean and in fighting shape
                What’re you doing as far as exercise or training to drop the weight?

Comment

Working...
                X