No announcement yet.

Help with a routine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a routine

Hey guys. I am completely new to boxing. Been interested in getting into it for a while but never had an opportunity. I found out there is a Boxing Smoker at the College nearby that anyone can enter. It is in January. Problem is there is no way i can make it by this January so i have set the goal for January 2021. reason being i am overweight(something i am working on. already down 25lbs). I'm 26, 6'2 and 275. And my endurance ans stamina is way down. At my current Gym i got access to a heavy bag, speed bag, weights and cardio equipment. there is a boxing gym nearby that i plan on switching to when my contract is up. But i really want a good routine that will help me start getting in to fighting shape. tried googling it and mostly found boxing boot camp workouts or heres a taste for free now buy my program type stuff. any help is much appreciated.

Right now, don't be so concerned about actual technique and fighting until you get a coach. All the punch specific stuff you do right now will be ingraining bad habits that will take a long time to remove from your muscle memory. Right now, dropping weight is the best thing you can do.

Integrating speed bag to build shoulder endurance isn't a bad idea. Working on flexibility is good. Footwork exercises that help with balance and lateral movements are a must for boxing.

Best of luck to you in making your goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Right now, don't be so concerned about actual technique and fighting until you get a coach. All the punch specific stuff you do right now will be ingraining bad habits that will take a long time to remove from your muscle memory. Right now, dropping weight is the best thing you can do.

Integrating speed bag to build shoulder endurance isn't a bad idea. Working on flexibility is good. Footwork exercises that help with balance and lateral movements are a must for boxing.

^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post

This seems like very sound advice. After my first time at boxing gym I've already noticed I picked up a few bad habits from trying to learn some basic fundamentals from some of who I thought, were the better 'trainers/coaches' on YouTube. Despite their good intentions, and not necessarily being right or wrong, none of it is going to line up very well, or give me a head start with what this coach is trying to teach me. Hell I thought I at least had the stance down but my back foot was too straight like 90degree and he wanted it closer to 45ish.

Good luck on your weight loss journey. Don't overdo it at first and burn yourself out. Start slowly, build your way up and try to stick with it. And don't forget to neglect a proper diet either. No need to go crazy health nut but just try to make better choices when you can. 25 pounds is already a great start so keep at it man!

What's your goal weight if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Elvis View Post
          Hey guys. I am completely new to boxing. Been interested in getting into it for a while but never had an opportunity. I found out there is a Boxing Smoker at the College nearby that anyone can enter. It is in January. Problem is there is no way i can make it by this January so i have set the goal for January 2021. reason being i am overweight(something i am working on. already down 25lbs). I'm 26, 6'2 and 275. And my endurance ans stamina is way down. At my current Gym i got access to a heavy bag, speed bag, weights and cardio equipment. there is a boxing gym nearby that i plan on switching to when my contract is up. But i really want a good routine that will help me start getting in to fighting shape. tried googling it and mostly found boxing boot camp workouts or heres a taste for free now buy my program type stuff. any help is much appreciated.
          If you train everyday (start with three times a week for a month) you will find your natural weight quickly and pick up boxing skills at the same time. Don't delay because you're 26 and there's no point putting off anything until 2021 boxing or not. Loads of people start boxing late but it's about being committed and learning things quick. You'll get good and lose weight at the same time so go to your boxing gym ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by dot.c.eh View Post
            This seems like very sound advice. After my first time at boxing gym I've already noticed I picked up a few bad habits from trying to learn some basic fundamentals from some of who I thought, were the better 'trainers/coaches' on YouTube. Despite their good intentions, and not necessarily being right or wrong, none of it is going to line up very well, or give me a head start with what this coach is trying to teach me. Hell I thought I at least had the stance down but my back foot was too straight like 90degree and he wanted it closer to 45ish.

Good luck on your weight loss journey. Don't overdo it at first and burn yourself out. Start slowly, build your way up and try to stick with it. And don't forget to neglect a proper diet either. No need to go crazy health nut but just try to make better choices when you can. 25 pounds is already a great start so keep at it man!

What's your goal weight if you don't mind me asking?
            My goal is around 190lbs. when i was right out of high school i weighed 180 and was a healthy weight, put on a little muscle since then. I was doing theatre regularly and there was a part i really wanted and the director said i could have it if i put on the weight for it. i did and after the role was over i couldnt stop gaining. but now its back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Outboxxed View Post
              If you train everyday (start with three times a week for a month) you will find your natural weight quickly and pick up boxing skills at the same time. Don't delay because you're 26 and there's no point putting off anything until 2021 boxing or not. Loads of people start boxing late but it's about being committed and learning things quick. You'll get good and lose weight at the same time so go to your boxing gym ASAP
              Thats what ive been doing. 3 days a week. and trying to work up. I cant afford to pay for 2 gyms right now and i cant buy out my contract at this moment. so i got to wait it out and focus on building my endurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Elvis View Post
                Thats what ive been doing. 3 days a week. and trying to work up. I cant afford to pay for 2 gyms right now and i cant buy out my contract at this moment. so i got to wait it out and focus on building my endurance.
                Getting out of those contracts are tough

Comment

You should also try other exercises too while lifting weight. I started from jumping rope when i started training. Leg workouts is necessary for stabilizing your body while you are doing fight.

Comment

I know ur 26 and a weight gym can be fun and a good social activity. But a lot of older people start building up a home gym. I mean everyones different. But once u know ur stuff it’s nice to have nobody in ur way and u can crank ur own music and go at ur own pace.
                    Diet is everything if u want to lose weight. U can build up your cardio which is great, but u will be running all day to burn off a piece of cheesecake.

Comment

Working...
                    X