No announcement yet.

How do you teach the 1-2?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you teach the 1-2?

I have been volunteering at a local gym helping to coach a bit for a hobby. I was always taught to throw the 1-2 to the same pad while we are doing mitts. I was taught it mimics the way you would throw it in a fight the jab and right hand both landing in basically the same spot.
    This coach has asked
    Me to have them hit the jab to the pad in my left hand and the right to my right hand pad. Of course I have no problem doing it his way his gym his rules. But in my opinion this is wrong. But maybe the gym I trained at was weird.
    How have you guys been taught?

Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
    I have been volunteering at a local gym helping to coach a bit for a hobby. I was always taught to throw the 1-2 to the same pad while we are doing mitts. I was taught it mimics the way you would throw it in a fight the jab and right hand both landing in basically the same spot.
    This coach has asked
    Me to have them hit the jab to the pad in my left hand and the right to my right hand pad. Of course I have no problem doing it his way his gym his rules. But in my opinion this is wrong. But maybe the gym I trained at was weird.
    I was taught on the same pad as well.

Comment

I-2 to the same mitt then hook to the other was how I was taught.

Comment

I’ve never seen 1-2 taught on opposing mitts. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
          This coach has asked me to have them hit the jab to the pad in my left hand and the right to my right hand pad. Of course I have no problem doing it his way his gym his rules. But in my opinion this is wrong. But maybe the gym I trained at was weird.
          That's exactly how I am taught. Jab to the left mitt, right to the right mitt. Now, that's the basic 1-2, but he will call out a 1-2 and only hold up one mitt in which I'd do the 1-2 in the same spot. I can only tell the difference when one mitt is showing versus both mitts, but the basic 1-2 has always been jab to the left mitt, right to the right mitt.

Usually if we do the 1-2 to the same mitt, it's the 1-2-1, jump in on the last jab like how Pacquiao does. Or rather, I should put it like this, the 1-2 being done to the same spot is usually the beginning or ending to some kind of combo.

This whole thread is the first time I'm ever hearing of someone learning the 1-2 on the same mitt....

Comment

Catching the left jab on the left mitt and the right on the right mitt is teaching the fighter to cross his punches and to punch across his body. It is also encourages him to short arm or paw with the jab and it makes him square up. These are all bad habits to have when somebody starts punching back.

Comment

Originally posted by cv808 View Post
              That's exactly how I am taught. Jab to the left mitt, right to the right mitt. Now, that's the basic 1-2, but he will call out a 1-2 and only hold up one mitt in which I'd do the 1-2 in the same spot. I can only tell the difference when one mitt is showing versus both mitts, but the basic 1-2 has always been jab to the left mitt, right to the right mitt.

Usually if we do the 1-2 to the same mitt, it's the 1-2-1, jump in on the last jab like how Pacquiao does. Or rather, I should put it like this, the 1-2 being done to the same spot is usually the beginning or ending to some kind of combo.

This whole thread is the first time I'm ever hearing of someone learning the 1-2 on the same mitt....
              This is more effective;

Comment

The way this coach has explained it to me is the alternating pads helps them learn to turn their body into the shots. Which kind of makes sense. But I still think it’s best to learn the proper technique right from the get go.
                Cause I also think when you start to
                Mix up the timing on the 1-2 it’s just way easier for them to hit the same pad.

Comment

Feet/legs first. Devolop a sturdy stance and have them throw a 1-2 @ the air while u watch their feet.

Once they can properly step and throw a punch, work range on the mitts. Have them hold a jab against your mitt and have them fire a 2 bringing the jab back to a high guard. Work the core with the 2.

Ive literally have seen meatheads in the gym take a boxing lesson and stumble throwing a 1-2. Always start with legs and feet b4 teaching any combo.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                    Catching the left jab on the left mitt and the right on the right mitt is teaching the fighter to cross his punches and to punch across his body. It is also encourages him to short arm or paw with the jab and it makes him square up. These are all bad habits to have when somebody starts punching back.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^ this!

Comment

Working...
                    X