No announcement yet.

Fighting shorter opponents

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting shorter opponents

Anyone have any links or videos detailing techniques for dealing with shorter guys?

It seems like there's hundreds of videos teaching shorter guys tricks on closing distance or baiting jabs or to use fancy footwork but every time I look up the opposite it's always:

"Just use your range bro. And just like... Stay on the outside and jab a lot. Keep him from getting close."

Jab while you're moving backwards, double it up moving to the side, stick a jab in his belly and face. Circle movement. Feint the jab and drop the right hand on his chin. And ofcourse, follow with the hook. Get outta there with the jab. Unless ofcourse, you hurt him. At which point you'd pummel him until he cries fo his momma!. …….Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 08-02-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I use my reach, big mistake I see a lot of guys do is crouch down to their opponents height

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        I use my reach, big mistake I see a lot of guys do is crouch down to their opponents height
        This

Isn’t rocket science.

Keep distance and use reach.

Comment

You don't want to start jabbing down at him; that is how you get hit with right hands, and it shortens your reach. If you widen your stance by moving your lead foot forward, it lowers your body. Then you jab at his chest, which makes it harder to slip, and you get the full extent of your reach. If he starts getting around your jab, you bring your left foot back. This creates distance again and gets your feet back to where you can punch hard.

You also want to learn how to punch while moving backwards. It is actually very easy to do, if you understand the weight transference of punching. There is also value in moving straight back; if he follows you straight in, you should be able to walk him into punches.

Learn how to turn your lead shoulder into his chest when he comes in- right uppercut, left hook, then turn him and step out. Being able to counter effectively when he gets close will make him take time to think on the way in; if all you do is grab a good fighter will run you out of the ring.

Comment

I'd suggest you soe basic stuff as using the straight punches and when he closes the distance and comes close to you throw a circular punch and pivot on it in order to get out at an angle, so you would have a lot of space behind you to create the distance between you again.

To give you more specific details, we have to know more specific details about both fighters.

Comment

We have a guy at our club, solid MMA fighter, spars at our club for stand-up practice. Anyway, he did a 6 round spar session, first 3 rounds were with someone new each round, but the last 3 rounds were with a shorter guy (MMA easily had 5 inches on the guy) and the shorter guy gave him hell. Once the shorter guy got inside, it was a done game for our MMA fighter. He took one body shot that actually had him running away to catch himself some time.

Moral of what I seen - Don't let them get inside. Being a shorter fighter, he's probably trained (he trains at another club but came to spar with our MMA fighter) to close the gap and stay inside where jabs aren't the most effective. Get your counter-hits and uppercuts in order too in case he does get in the inside.

Comment

Working...
              X