No announcement yet.

How many of you on here actually run?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you on here actually run?

So most boxers 'Apparently' run five miles a day and this is something I've been trying to get myself into, is it impossible for me? Maybe so.

I've had a string of injuries from running from my ankle, to my thigh to my hamstring and they're all one after the other, I've only been running since Feb, so is running really worth it? What else can I do?

Another thing I've noticed is that it does next to nothing when it comes to getting me through either boxercize or training class (when we're focusing on fitness) I can do both of them of course but that's probably only because it takes a lot for me to quit something.

In my boxercize classes it's mainly over weight people that attend as the classes are open to the public and it's advertised as a 1k calorie burn workout so yeah it's main target audience is fat people. Although I am hitting the bag a lot faster and a lot harder and putting in a lot more effort then the fat people that attend I'm always worn out after it. Although they don't put as much effort in I couldn't see one of them being able to run for more than five minutes and that's me being generous to them.

All in all it makes me feel like boxing is a completely different sort of fitness you need then to be a runner? If this is true then why do boxers bother with running? Especially with all the injuries you can get?

I feel like giving up on my running because it isn't helping me at all. What could I replace it with? That's either cheap or free. (Swimming is too costly as it's a tenner each time if I'm to include bus fare)

Try HIIT instead, more relevant to boxing

Comment

Originally posted by RossyJames View Post
      So most boxers 'Apparently' run five miles a day and this is something I've been trying to get myself into, is it impossible for me? Maybe so.

I've had a string of injuries from running from my ankle, to my thigh to my hamstring and they're all one after the other, I've only been running since Feb, so is running really worth it? What else can I do?

Another thing I've noticed is that it does next to nothing when it comes to getting me through either boxercize or training class (when we're focusing on fitness) I can do both of them of course but that's probably only because it takes a lot for me to quit something.

In my boxercize classes it's mainly over weight people that attend as the classes are open to the public and it's advertised as a 1k calorie burn workout so yeah it's main target audience is fat people. Although I am hitting the bag a lot faster and a lot harder and putting in a lot more effort then the fat people that attend I'm always worn out after it. Although they don't put as much effort in I couldn't see one of them being able to run for more than five minutes and that's me being generous to them.

All in all it makes me feel like boxing is a completely different sort of fitness you need then to be a runner? If this is true then why do boxers bother with running? Especially with all the injuries you can get?

I feel like giving up on my running because it isn't helping me at all. What could I replace it with? That's either cheap or free. (Swimming is too costly as it's a tenner each time if I'm to include bus fare)
      IMO I have always believed that running should be done every other day. Take a day between runs to rest or do some recovery work like yoga. The main thing is your recovery. 5 miles a day may not be beneficial. And the main thing you want to take from workouts is improving on your goal. I think you’ll find much more progress when you incorporate those rest days. So basically your run schedule will be one day on then one day off.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSuperLeeds View Post
        Try HIIT instead, more relevant to boxing
        Is HIIT's where you jog for 2 minutes, sprint for 30? then jog for 2 minutes and so on until you're exhausted?

I've got into my head that if I go to doing that when I go for a long distant run I'll have lost my mileage etc or would doing this get me more fit?

Comment

Originally posted by bulldognyc View Post
          IMO I have always believed that running should be done every other day. Take a day between runs to rest or do some recovery work like yoga. The main thing is your recovery. 5 miles a day may not be beneficial. And the main thing you want to take from workouts is improving on your goal. I think you’ll find much more progress when you incorporate those rest days. So basically your run schedule will be one day on then one day off.
          The problem with taking days off is that I always resort to eating too much etc as I'll have nothing to do, guess it's just something I'll have to over come.

Comment

Why do you have to come across as arrogant and put other people down? For all we know they might be able to knock you spark out.

Have you sparred yet?

Comment

What’s your BMI or bf%?

If you are carrying 50kg of excess fat running to the end of the driveway will be hard.

Anyone who has a bf% of less than 15% can run 5 miles as if it was nothing.

Above 15% of bf it’s the hardest thing possible.

I’m currently 13% bf and jog 5 miles 4x a week just for laughs.

Previously I was 27% bf and couldn’t run more than 10 metres!

Comment

RE. Your string of injuries.
                A lot of injuries can be avoided by building up to things. For running, a good principle for beginners to stick to is to only increase your workload 10% per week (i.e. mileage, or time-on-your-feet), and some even say to only increase by 10% every other week. Your body WILL adapt to whatever you tell it to do, but there's something to be said for patience and persistence. Fitness isn't a goal, it's a journey (with goals along the way)

Comment

I run here and there, but my knee tends to get sore after a while.

Comment

If you want to get in to fighting shape you will want to get in as much sparring as you can. And it isn't about how many rounds you do, it matters only how hard you do them. Running will help your wind and it will make your legs stronger ……..Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 07-21-2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X