No announcement yet.

countering cross/ right hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• countering cross/ right hook

hey i was sparring today and i was fighting this guy who used his right hand alot. he would jab then cross to the body or the head. sometimes he used a right hook. it would go... 1 2. 1 2... not knowing that i dropped my left hand he tagged me with a hard cross. it hurt but i got him harder before so yeah even for a guy who uses his right hand do i keep away from it by moving right?.. i am orthodox fighter.. it would help alot thx

slip his right and throw a right of your own. Slip your head away from it and come into him with a right hand. Ive dropped someone with that punch. Know what i mean? Did your head left and go in at the same time and when your coming in bang him with your on right. Or dip/pivot over to the left and give em a nice left hook to the body.

Comment

Try this with a guy slowly on the floor to see the mechanics of it before trying it in the ring.

When he throws his right simply stick your left hand straight out. Have you chin tucked low behind the shoulder.

9 times out of 10 if you do it correctly you will either deflect his blow woth your out stretched glove, his arm will tangle with yours taking the shot away or it will deflect off of your shoulder.

also try opening your glove to cover the whole side of your head. Roll your left shoulder and hips clockwise. It will deflect off of the shoulder or be caught in the padding of the glove. You'll find yourself in perfect position for a sharp counter right if done correctly.

Good luck and remember.
      If you eat one you didnt do it right
      Just try it again and youll get it

Rockin'

Comment

Souza2012- when he throws his jab i should jab... then cross but i should bend forward.. making his right hand go over my head? then tag him with a cross
        kinda stupid.. but what does dip mean?

rockin- i've never tried that before.. ill try that in the ring on friday.. my glove covers my whole head and my shoulder covers my chin.. after he hits me .. i spring with a cross to the body or the head right?

thanks alot guys it really helps

Comment

Originally posted by madkatzspeed
          Souza2012- when he throws his jab i should jab... then cross but i should bend forward.. making his right hand go over my head? then tag him with a cross
          kinda stupid.. but what does dip mean?
          When you slip the right hand it will blow passed your right ear. Just stick your right fist forward and your opponents face will be ripe for it.

Rockin'

Comment

block the jab with your right glove like a mit then slip the right hand. Move into it and slip your head to the left while you are moving and throw a right hand while doing so. When done right it works like a charm. Dip like, move your body forward and to the left while ducking to get away from the right and youll be a in a good position to counter with a nive left hook to the body. Or a good way to get awat from the right hand, when he throws it just throw a left hook at his arm to parry it away then pop him with a quick jab before his arm gets back, you might even be able to get in a quick hook.

Comment

Move your head......

Comment

Originally posted by yrrej
                Move your head......
                now thats proper advice lol

Comment

Working...
                X