Collapse
No announcement yet.

for more power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would not recommend bodybuilding to increase power. strongman type "weightlifting" will be better if you want to go that route. but i agree with some here, practice punching = better punching.

funny thing though, i haven't heard anybody talk about positioning and timing yet. these two things have a fairly big effect on your punching power. you can punch extremely hard, but if you can't hit a clean punch, your power is basically useless.

one thing i think i can also add is - use only as much as necessary. using more than nec. is a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by platinummatt

ppl seem to forget, u get maximal power out of ur punch from utilising larger muscles = in legs, and back muscles, provided right technique and placement.

look at Ali and Tyson style, they had different styles but heavily relied upon strong thighs and calves to launch attacks... both had strong legs.

in some cases, u have odd cases of guys who are arm punches and techniques doesnt fully take advantage of leg power, however, they use technique so long, they become efficient and generate strong punches with it. e.g. Foreman

Comment

I dont lift much I mainly do bodyweight exercises. I also cant do lifts like that because of a spine condition. Do you know any bodyweight exercises for explosiveness? Thankyou
        yeah man think about some
        depth jumps and medicine ball work
        clap pushups
        depth pushups
        stand ups, start at situp position and stand up with someone holding your feet.-mayweather does em
        this should have some good exercises
        http://exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html
        look to the left and all under "plyometrics" should be great for the bodyweight portion of ur routine

anymore questions just ask

Comment

[QUOTE=j]funny thing though, i haven't heard anybody talk about positioning and timing yet. these two things have a fairly big effect on your punching power. you can punch extremely hard, but if you can't hit a clean punch, your power is basically useless.
          [QUOTE]

great post!

timing is essential! if the opponent sees ur big power shot coming it simply wil not hurt him as much, however if u can time ur shot to perfection, so u for instance counter with a left hook wen ur oponent throws a right, u cud wel KO him!

obviously u need the right technique and gud power to be able to KO oponents but timing is a key point!

Comment

great thread was looking for a weight lifting routine for the next month or so and found it. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mayweather
              yeah man think about some
              depth jumps and medicine ball work
              clap pushups
              depth pushups
              stand ups, start at situp position and stand up with someone holding your feet.-mayweather does em
              this should have some good exercises
              http://exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html
              look to the left and all under "plyometrics" should be great for the bodyweight portion of ur routine

anymore questions just ask
              Cheers! good k and points

Comment

Cheers! good k and points
                haha thanks again man

want anything else just ask

Comment

Working...
                X