No announcement yet.

Defensive drills I can work on alone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive drills I can work on alone

Simple defensive techniques like parrying the jab require a partner and I'm not going to have one outside the gym.

What are the most necessary drills I should learn to improve my defence for sparring? I'd like to do these alone at home.

Originally posted by DugzBoxing View Post
    Simple defensive techniques like parrying the jab require a partner and I'm not going to have one outside the gym.

What are the most necessary drills I should learn to improve my defence for sparring? I'd like to do these alone at home.
    Slip rope is a great drill you can do alone and at home.

When you shadow box get in the habit of slipping punches, rolling, blocking hooks to the head and the body, blocking uppercuts, even can throw in parrying the jab. Work on moving and creating angles and head movement.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
      Slip rope is a great drill you can do alone and at home.

When you shadow box get in the habit of slipping punches, rolling, blocking hooks to the head and the body, blocking uppercuts, even can throw in parrying the jab. Work on moving and creating angles and head movement.
      Alright, thanks a lot. Slipping feels unnatural and when I have been slipping real punches I get told that it isn't the correct way.

Comment

Originally posted by DugzBoxing View Post
        Alright, thanks a lot. Slipping feels unnatural and when I have been slipping real punches I get told that it isn't the correct way.
        That's something you can practice at home as well. Look up how to slip punches on youtube, practice the movements and form at home to get it down correctly. All of those things translate well into the ring.

Then listen to your coaches in training.

Comment

Practice slipping/blocking when shadow boxing is good. Visualize in your minds eye the punches coming and you reacting

Are you doing any work on a double end bag that is loose enough to hit your face when its swinging? these can be had for 50 or 60$ and easily set up indoors

Comment

1. Understand the importance of muscle memory.
            2. Practice punching then moving etc. NEVER punch and stand there thinking you’re finished. Always move after you punch until it become unnatural to not move.
            3. Drill these two words into your head - Action / Reaction.
            4. Understand whenever there is action, there MUST be a reaction (slipping, rolling, stepping, parrying etc)
            5. Since there is never an action without a reaction, practice this so much that it becomes muscle memory.

Basically what i’m trying to explain in a nutshell is that every offence has a built in defence. Every time you throw a punch you should be thinking about defence.

Example drills
            - jab, slip right, straight right, move
            - jab, slip left, left hook, move
            Jab, parry left, jab, move
            Jab, parry left, straight right, move
            Jab, parry right hand, jab, move
            Jab, parry right hand, straight right, move
            1-2, slip right, straight right, move
            Slip right, right hand (anticipating their jab), move
            Slip left, left hook (anticipating their right hand), move

6. Remember what I said about muscle memory. Practice the above drills until you’re doing them in sparring without thinking.

Without knowing your level, that’s the basics/fundamentals.
            Work from the basics though... You might end up slipping right then counter with right upper, left hook, straight right, then roll under to right.
            Last edited by Rock&Roll; 03-04-2019, 02:45 AM. Reason: Move

Comment

Originally posted by Rock&Roll View Post
              2. Practice punching then moving etc. NEVER punch and stand there thinking you’re finished. Always move after you punch until it become unnatural to not move.
              4. Understand whenever there is action, there MUST be a reaction (slipping, rolling, stepping, parrying etc)
              5. Since there is never an action without a reaction, practice this so much that it becomes muscle memory.

Basically what i’m trying to explain in a nutshell is that every offence has a built in defence. Every time you throw a punch you should be thinking about defence.

Example drills

6. Remember what I said about muscle memory. Practice the above drills until you’re doing them in sparring without thinking.

Work from the basics though... You might end up slipping right then counter with right upper, left hook, straight right, then roll under to right.
              Excellent advice here. Thanks a lot. Very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock&Roll View Post

Example drills

Very good stuff here.

Comment

Good footwork is the best defense, and learning how to use angles, and Learn how turn your opponent, how to engage and disengage with your feet.

The best part of Floyd's defense was how he used his footwork to make sure his body was in the position he wanted to be in

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                    Good footwork is the best defense, and learning how to use angles, and Learn how turn your opponent, how to engage and disengage with your feet.

The best part of Floyd's defense was how he used his footwork to make sure his body was in the position he wanted to be in
                    Much truth to this. Small foot movement can move you quickly in and out of range or in a better position. I'd say individual style has a lot to do with it as well. The best probably have a good combination of foot work and upper body defensive skills also. They both work together for a good defense

Comment

Working...
                    X