No announcement yet.

Nightmare first sparring session

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare first sparring session

I just sparred for the first time this morning. After an intense pads and body sparring session, I decided to spar for the first time. Bad idea.

I am quite light at 59 kg and stand 5 ft 9. I got bullied about the ring and took a few blows to the head. I couldn't land and was swinging. I could have been knocked out. It was a reality check.

I reckon the head guard didn't help because it was covering my eyes and I could barely see anything at times, he was charging at me.

I learned that even though most of the time my hands are up in training (e.g. pads and bag work) they were dropping in sparring. Every time I got hit I lost my confidence and was subconsciously dropping my hands.

I think it was an experience and I am glad to have had my first spar out of the way. I want to keep pushing so I can improve. For all I know these people may have boxed for years I started in late 2017.

I think I bottled it massively though. Luckily I'm not fighting yet but I was thinking of doing so. I also can't defend or bob and weave. What drills can I do at home?

Don't let it put you off, use this experience as motivation to get better. Regroup, and go again. You've said yourself there's a few things you know you need to work on... keeping your hands up, staying relaxed, using good punching form... you haven't bottled it, it's your first time, keep at it and you can only improve

Comment

Seems to me Boxing is not your sport save your brain and just do the work outs to stay in shape because boxing is the only sport you can’t play

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
        Seems to me Boxing is not your sport save your brain and just do the work outs to stay in shape because boxing is the only sport you can’t play
        Nah, I'll keep at it because I overcame the same issues in other sports and became good at them. Even though I was a lot younger back then. I'm nearly 19 and believe I am young enough to correct a lot of things. Considering I am athletic in general and have speed and power, I'll keep going. I just need to brush up my defence because I have turned a blind eye to it.

Comment

First, make sure that head gear is tightened up so it doesn't slide over your eyes. Big trouble if you can't see. Use your legs to move around if the dude is charging you. Spar more and ask for some light (50%) sessions also full on sessions. Post a video. Don't quit

Comment

Also, not great to spar after a long intense workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
              First, make sure that head gear is tightened up so it doesn't slide over your eyes. Big trouble if you can't see. Use your legs to move around if the dude is charging you. Spar more and ask for some light (50%) sessions also full on sessions. Post a video. Don't quit
              Yeah, one of the rounds the head gear was too big. Second time it had slid over my eyes and I think I could've done better if it wasn't for that. It was weird wearing a gum shield and head gear for the first time as well.

Due to me being quite light one of the partners was told by someone else to go light but they went heavier than anticipated. He didn't have head gear on so I wasn't sure whether I should get him around the head or not. Due to that I felt a little reluctant to throw towards his head because wouldn't that be an unfair advantage? The head guard only protects the face, right?

I'll try and get a video but it's unlikely I will be able to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by DugzBoxing View Post
                I just sparred for the first time this morning. After an intense pads and body sparring session, I decided to spar for the first time. Bad idea.

I am quite light at 59 kg and stand 5 ft 9. I got bullied about the ring and took a few blows to the head. I couldn't land and was swinging. I could have been knocked out. It was a reality check.

I reckon the head guard didn't help because it was covering my eyes and I could barely see anything at times, he was charging at me.

I learned that even though most of the time my hands are up in training (e.g. pads and bag work) they were dropping in sparring. Every time I got hit I lost my confidence and was subconsciously dropping my hands.

I think it was an experience and I am glad to have had my first spar out of the way. I want to keep pushing so I can improve. For all I know these people may have boxed for years I started in late 2017.

I think I bottled it massively though. Luckily I'm not fighting yet but I was thinking of doing so. I also can't defend or bob and weave. What drills can I do at home?
                Your coach can fix everything. If you like boxing, stay in it.

What your'e describing is what 99% of what guys attempting to box go through. Even the ones who thing they're bad asses outside of the ring.

It's a life changing experience what you went through.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
                  Also, not great to spar after a long intense workout.
                  It wasn't very intense, although for someone unfit it could have felt that way. We did random combos on the pads and body sparring in the session beforehand and the usual warm up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
                    Your coach can fix everything. If you like boxing, stay in it.

What your'e describing is what 99% of what guys attempting to box go through. Even the ones who thing they're bad asses outside of the ring.

It's a life changing experience what you went through.
                    Yeah, I love boxing. I did realise it was inevitable that I'd get hit badly. It was on my mind after I saw videos on YouTube relating to first sparring sessions. Everything I had learned left my mind and I just conceded to the fact I was doing badly and didn't really revive the poor performance.

Boxing has changed my life in a way and it's made me fitter and eat properly. It has helped my physique and social confidence massively.

Comment

Working...
                    X