Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the Peek-A-Boo boxing style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Peek-A-Boo boxing style?

Was this type of fighting style designed for shorter fighters? What was this fighting style designed for, thanks in advance?

Also I never really see anyone else in Boxing history use this boxing style even in modern today, why is that? Only Mike Tyson really ever use it...

Generally it works better for shorter fighters as the pendulum movement allows them to effectively duck under the opponents punches while moving into range. It offers a good defensive base (high guard out in front) that allows the fighter to quickly switch from defense to offense, attacking back with tight hooks and uppercuts that can generate great power in small space in rapid fire combinations..

Comment

Just ask yourself does a shorter fighter have to slip punches or bob and weave to get to the taller fighter ?

Comment

I don't think it was necessary designed for shorter fighters but the goal of the style is to be able to move into and cut off the ring against fighters who use a lot of movement.

Even though Frazier didnt use "peekaboo" style his style was similar enough vs Ali where you could get an idea of the effect.

The high guard plus bobbing and weaving allows you to be defensively responsible while still allowing you to set up your angles. In tyson it made him unpredictable and allowed him to slip shots that would normally hit a taller fighter

The downside though is that it burns a ton of energy. You need to be constantly moving and to be honest, you probably need to be genetically right for this style too. If you're not explosive its not effective. If you dont have a gas tank either, the style probably isnt for you.

This is why Tyson was less effective late in his career. His body just couldnt handle the style and combined with his asthma was a nightmare for him.

Comment

I don't think I can tell you what it might've been designed for specifically, but it's a good approach to use if dodging isn't really your thing and you have the strength to apply it while making your way forward.

Winky Wright used it pretty well, and Miguel Cotto made some use of it too. It's a nice guard to use if you're really focusing on pressuring your opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
            Generally it works better for shorter fighters as the pendulum movement allows them to effectively duck under the opponents punches while moving into range. It offers a good defensive base (high guard out in front) that allows the fighter to quickly switch from defense to offense, attacking back with tight hooks and uppercuts that can generate great power in small space in rapid fire combinations..
            Agreed with this

Comment

Originally posted by Socialtwinkie View Post
              The downside though is that it burns a ton of energy. You need to be constantly moving and to be honest, you probably need to be genetically right for this style too. If you're not explosive its not effective. If you dont have a gas tank either, the style probably isnt for you.
              100% right. You have to be in great shape to effectively use the peekaboo.

The slipping motion alone is very energy intensive and you're constantly using it. It's less efficient than the more mainstream way of slipping which preaches to move the head only slightly, just enough to make a punch miss.

Then there's the knee bends for ducking under punches. And the springs and twists used for cutting an angle.

The peekaboo is a young man's style and not conducive to longevity in my opinion. Even though I love it.

Comment

check out these 2 fights both are on youtube Dan Dancuda vs James Thunder & Alex Stewart vs Ezra Sellars. Dancuda & Stewart were both around 6'3 and were both being trained by Kevin Rooney at the time of these fights IMO tall fighters do not fair well using the style. you also have to wonder why both Floyd Patterson & Tyson abandoned the style. Patterson didn't teach his boxers that style either.

Comment

Working...
                X